Luvachicken

Does anyone know what Calciworms are ?

I saw a big tub of Calciworms in the local garden centre the other day and just wondered what they are and if chickens can have them as a treat ?

It did say it was food for wild birds.

They looked like bigger, fatter mealworms, but I don't know how they are reared and if they are suitable for chickens - I know mealworms are not meant to be fed to chickens because of what they are reared on.

On 6/24/2022 at 4:14 PM, clivefrancis said:

A simple search online will show that you should not be feeding calci worms or meal worms to hens. 
the rules are there to protect your hens and you

A simple search online will show that these rules don’t exist in all countries outside of the UK and not all of us here live in the UK.

I’m perfectly allowed to feed my chickens calci worms or mealworms.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:33 AM, Luvachicken said:

I saw a big tub of Calciworms in the local garden centre the other day and just wondered what they are and if chickens can have them as a treat ?

They looked like bigger, fatter mealworms, but I don't know how they are reared and if they are suitable for chickens - I know mealworms are not meant to be fed to chickens because of what they are reared on.

On 4/15/2021 at 5:02 PM, Luvachicken said:

Are they safe for them though, bearing in mind that they shouldn't have mealworms because of what they are fed on ?

On 5/2/2021 at 3:22 PM, Luvachicken said:

Well, I bought them a packet, only to find that they are actually mealworms with extra added calcium.

Oh well - they were on offer at least.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:14 PM, clivefrancis said:

A simple search online will show that you should not be feeding calci worms or meal worms to hens. 
the rules are there to protect your hens and you

That's why I asked the questions above in the first place and then actually answered it for myself.

They didn't like them anyway so I fed them to the birds.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:33 AM, Luvachicken said:

You are right, you can’t feed dried mealworm for the exact reason you said ( mostly reared in China) in fact it’s illegal. However uk raised mealworms are a great way of getting protein rich food into chicken and is advised ( I bred my first lot from pets at home by accident so now hopefully I have eggs and I know they’ve been fed oj fresh carrot peelings for moisture and kept in a substrate of mixed oats and grains that I blitzed down

On 2/25/2023 at 3:37 AM, steph.newington said:

You are right, you can’t feed dried mealworm for the exact reason you said ( mostly reared in China) in fact it’s illegal. However uk raised mealworms are a great way of getting protein rich food into chicken and is advised ( I bred my first lot from pets at home by accident so now hopefully I have eggs and I know they’ve been fed oj fresh carrot peelings for moisture and kept in a substrate of mixed oats and grains that I blitzed down

Thank you for your response 😊 - nice to have a sensible answer.

I'm not sure I have the stomach for breeding mealworms but hope you manage to grow your own for your girls.

The regulations are based on the uncertainty of what foodstocks were used to rear them -good news is that the calci worm producers in the EU and here in the UK now have strict laws on exactly that -So UK / EU calci worms are perfectly safe , its just the regulatory side hasnt caught up just yet

• Like 1

It's only illegal (via DEFRA) to feed dried or otherwise processed insect protein to chickens. It's totally legal to feed LIVE calci worms to chickens. And Calci Worms (aka Black Solder Fly larvae) are far more nutritionally superior than mealworms - live or dried. They are called Calci Worms for a reason  - tons of calcium, very bioavailable. There are so many more benefits to feeding live Calci Worms over dried ones anyway - they move! It's enrichment as well as nutrition. There's a company that does mail delivery of live Calci Worms - they also offer subscriptions. They've got a page about DEFRA approval too to clear up the regulatory stuff. https://econourish.co.uk/calci-worms-and-environment/defra-approve-live-food/