herecomethegirls

Feeders and drinkers help

I’ve recently moved my chicks to a bigger cage as they were growing out of their original brooder box. Because of this, I had to change drinker, to the one in the pic. However, it keeps filling up with wood chips and poo! Are there any tips for help with this kind of problem or perhaps a better drinker I could use for the next few weeks indoors? Also, their little dish of food is being knocked over on a daily basis, now that they are a little more boisterous. Any ideas for a better feeder?

Thanks 🐥

157AE900-1D35-46D3-99F9-140361BD30E6.jpeg

Edited by herecomethegirls

Just a bit of an off-the-wall suggestion....

Firstly, that feeder looks just the right size that, if turned upside down, would provide a stable platform for the drinker to sit on, thereby raising the drinker up away from the woodchip.

Secondly, do you have any empty 2L fizzy drink bottles in your recycling? I'm sure cutting a large hole in the side of one would allow you to use it as a trough feeder that could be tied to the side of the cage with string. Not pretty, but certainly would be more secure. Cut edges might need a bit of duck tape so as not to be too sharp, but nothing eminently difficult.

• Like 1

We used bunny bottles on the side of cage.

They kept the water clean and free from poop.

They just leaked a little bit but I changed the damp bedding daily.

Some might need showing how to get the water out.

Once they were big enough I gave them coop cups - but they still filled them with bedding and poop, so they got changed often too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, majorbloodnock said:

Firstly, that feeder looks just the right size that, if turned upside down, would provide a stable platform for the drinker to sit on, thereby raising the drinker up away from the woodchip.

That is exactly what I do. You do still get some wood chip in the water but much less.

• Like 1