Pom Pom and Lavender

Silkie hasn't laid in five days.....

Hi all 

Wondering if you can help me. I have four silkies (two pairs that I got a couple months apart). The new pair are currently broody so are taking up the nesting boxes and have been for about 16 days now. The other two aren't and one is still laying fine, but the other hasn't laid in five days! She went up to the nesting box about four days ago and squashed herself in to try and lay and made an awful racket but wasn't able to. She isn't egg bound as she isn't displaying any of the symptoms of that, she's acting completely normal and eating/drinking fine and going about her normal day. 

Is this something I should be concerned about or is she perhaps upset due to the others taking up the boxes the whole time? Should i add a temporary box underneath?

Thanks for your advice! 😀

On 10/20/2021 at 9:53 AM, Pom Pom and Lavender said:

. The new pair are currently broody so are taking up the nesting boxes and have been for about 16 days now.

Just wondering if they are hatching any eggs ?

16 days is a long time to be broody otherwise.

If not, you will probably need to put them into separate broody cages for 3 days and 3 nights. 

Being constantly broody isn't good for them as they don't eat and drink properly and they are also a magnet for mites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you leave them, they can easily take weeks to come out of it. Takes away from the fun of chicken keeping, not seeing your hens for weeks. Also takes a lot of energy out of them. And quite pointless for them, as they aren’t hatching any actual eggs.

You can try a broody cage: