urbanchick

Will fireworks kill my chickens?

Next door but one have had a very nice but VERY loud firework display which I think has finished now. I am now very worried about the effect on my chickens.

Do I leave them in peace and hope for the best? Or put some tasty treats into the cube to cheer them up? If I open the nest box to look at them will that make any shock worse?

:) I can understand your concern and chickens, like any animal, can suffer shock or distress. But, although there are fragile exceptions, they can be very hardy too. My older ones are just enduring their third November and I'm worried when the bangs are close, but they've been fine.

I'd leave them be now. I don't think going out to them will make a difference, they have each other to snuggle up to & I'm sure that's what they'll do.

As you suggest, going to them may be more unsettling, and a food treat wouldn't comfort them in the same way it would for me!

I was late & had to go out & tidy some bowls away & push the Eglu doors to (the run had been locked earlier) after mine had roosted this evening. It was mid local display, and they were all snuggly and sleepy & Chuckles cooed "Goodnight" to me, none of them were batting an eyelid about the loud noises.

Best wishes. :)

This is my first year with chickens too. I have been out to check on my girls several times and they all seem fine - even the pekins are settled. The only problems are with the quail who are very jumpy. I have packed them up with lots of straw and I've put a thick blanket over their cage and run. Hope they are ok. :cry:

I had the same misgivings the first year I had chickens too - especially as 'firework night' seemed to last 2 weeks or more - and not just in November too.

There are loud bangs going off all around as I speak. But they chooks will be fine.

I did for once close the cube door tonight - as it is a lot bigger than the eglu door

I know it is worrying - but the chickens will be OK.

Mine don't even bat an eyelid when guns go off in the field next to our neighbours garden - the shooting season has started :roll:

My OH has detached the run & we have brought the Eglu into the kitchen,as I worried about my gals & spent last night in & out of the garden checking on them & although they seemed fine I feel better tonight now they are inside!!Maisie the Jack russell hates the fireworks too,but was most put out to see the Eglu in the kitchen!!!