WitchHazel

We couldn't wait: our Orange Cube is built!

Cube arrived yesterday. Plan was to store the parts until we had built the walk in run (remember, our hens aren't coming 'til March).

But there were so many pieces, it was going to be a nuisance storing them in the shed, so DH started to build it in the kitchen last night, and finiehed it off in the garden this morning. Thank goodness for french windows.

Tha cats have adopted it as a new garden toy.

There's a slideshow of the build if you're interested...

http://witchhazelhens.blogspot.com/2007/11/building-cube.html

And, for the first time, DH is actually, genuinely, OK with the hen keeping malarkey! It's been a long journey to get him to this point.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and for your enthusiasm. I love this forum!

I have to confess the slide show was done on Photobucket, I didn't have to do anything apart from tell it which pics to look at.

Waiting is difficult. But on my side, we don't have the walk in run yet, although DH will start on that in the next week or too.

I like the idea of cardboard hens. I was talking to DH last night about whether our neighbours will complain, and I thought having an empty Cuibe would be interesting.

I might try and get some pretend hens from somewhere to put in it.

Hi Vicki, thanks for that.

Funnily enough, i did look at those (and many others) on Ebay, but they just wouldn't stand up to the rain.

In the end I bought some ceramic ones from Ebay. They are a bit small, but are actually quite endearing (wjen separated from each other)...If they last the winter, and the cats pouncing on them, I'll put them on my patio when the live ones arrive.

98f6_1.JPG

The cube looks fantastic... and what beautiful cat you have!!

I admire the patience in having to wait for the chooks... our chooks arrived with the eglu as a surprise for my daughter, and having to wait 30 mins to take them out of their box while the eglu was being put up was long enough a wait for me!! My daughter was literally jumping up and down with excitement!!