Jaime

Electric Fenceing - do they stop foxes?

We had a very distressing visit from an Urban fox at about 6am today. The chooks were already up even though it was still dark and their distress noise woke us up. Very fortunately the cube run outfoxed the fox and no harm was done but all of our nerves are very rattled this morning.

Do Electric Fences Work?

Does anyone have experience of electric fencing? Can it be used to prevent the fox getting so close ie 3 feet away or similar? does it have to be an electrified mesh or can the wired lines be used like they have for cattle?

People's experiences would be useful about the successful use of such a system and is it worth the financial outlay.

PS I'd like to wire the car up to the mains to stop little fingers touching that in the night too! I had my Mini 1275GT Special Edition pinched 13 times before the insurance company put the policy up to £6,000 per year :shock:

Edited by Guest

Sorry to hear of your close encounter with the fox. We had a similar experience a few months ago and invested in a Foxwatch, which we have angled towards the eglu and run. Not a sign of the fox in the garden since, although we are surrounded by them. We switch the Foxwatch on at dusk and off again in the morning once we are up and about. It's excellent.

Sorry you have had a visit from Mr Fox :( I have the omlet fencing and a transformer that electrifies it :D

As yet haven't seen a fox (fingers crossed it stays that way) but it worked on the dogs when they touched it with their nose :shock: infact we're not using it at the moment, but it took a while for the dogs to go anywhere near the fence when they were outside, and Holly skirted round it very widely :lol:

karen x

Sorry to hear of your experience Jaime - but great that your girls are all safe and sound. Might be worth considering the omlet netting around the cube and run and attached to a battery overnight. The fox would only try once! :lol: (and I like the idea of electrifying the car - monsters! :evil: )

My brother in law had an electric fence and still lost his chickens, the fox actually jumped the fence and had a field day :evil: .They are very cunning.I think the only way to prevent foxes is to have high fences with extra wire dug real deep down into the ground so the fox doesn't dig a hole under the fence.In the end he managed to aquire some of those strong high metal fencing that you see on building sites to keep people out!!!!!So far so good.

Laylaxx

We have an electric fence (the Omlet one, electrified), and haven't had any problems so far with foxes, or any sign that they have been scratching around the edges. Ideally it would be higher, but I haven't come across any that is higher than this.

But we don't have urban foxes, which seem to be bolder. We may be unlucky one day, I know that there are wild foxes around. But I feel happier being able to let my hens out during the day when I am at work, as now that it is dark before I get home they would be squished up in the eglu run all week.

The only problem is putting it up - it's like fighting with an octopus as the posts keep getting stuck in the netting :roll:

Milly