tommy64

bed time

This isn't a problem I've ever had, but I've been able to tempt my girls anywhere with raisins! How about putting a little dish of some treat into the coop at around half past four ish (when its getting dusk) - or whenever they start faffing about (I find mine start 'faffing' about quarter of an hour or so before they go into the coop. They gather around the Cube, preen a bit, look inside, come out, walk around a bit etc.).

Otherwise I think its going to need putting them inside - if you can cathc them! Again, raisins or bits of pasta work wonders for me if I need to tempt them within catching range!

I didn't have this problem either, but I got my girls in May when the days were much longer. Keeping them in the run with the run door locked & the Eglu door open should hopefully give them the right idea. Will you be at home during the week to check they have gone to bed ok, or will you be at work? Mine go to bed abot 4.45 now.

This isn't a problem I've ever had, but I've been able to tempt my girls anywhere with raisins! How about putting a little dish of some treat into the coop at around half past four ish (when its getting dusk) - or whenever they start faffing about (I find mine start 'faffing' about quarter of an hour or so before they go into the coop. They gather around the Cube, preen a bit, look inside, come out, walk around a bit etc.).

Otherwise I think its going to need putting them inside - if you can cathc them! Again, raisins or bits of pasta work wonders for me if I need to tempt them within catching range!

I remember reading that raisins were very bad for chickens :?:

When we first got our hens and a cube hubby had to crawl into the run the first night to catch them and put them to bed as they had no idea where bed was! :roll:

I then steeled myself for a week of run crawling and hen catching at bedtime since hubby was working away, but the very next night the girls had put themselves to bed before I even got home. :clap: They seem to catch on very quickly :)

[

I remember reading that raisins were very bad for chickens :?:

I'd be interested to know if that is the case - I've given raisins to mine when they've been off colour or 'down' and they seem to perk up fine.

So I'd be pleased to know if they are not good for them.

Richard , i know i read about it in Practical Poultry once , they also said giving them to much garlic could harm there health , i put some in there water , but Practical Poultry defenitly said not to much garlic and that raisens were very bad .

Richard , i know i read about it in Practical Poultry once , they also said giving them to much garlic could harm there health , i put some in there water , but Practical Poultry defenitly said not to much garlic and that raisens were very bad .

I give my girls garlic EVERY day, it's mixed in their feed and they have been thriving for the last nine months! I also tried putting a clove of it in the water, but they just fished it out and scoffed it! I can't believe it is bad for them, and I couldn't bear not to use it - it makes the poo smell so much less.

I also give them raisins as a treat, mixed in porridge - I can see that because they are dried fruit, if you gave too many they might swell up, but I don't think a handful, especially if soaked in something, can hurt.

Anyone else know about this?

i'd like to know too as you can't get the answer on the net because as soon as you google the words garlic and chicken, it just brings up ruddy recipes!

Garlic is good for everything! I think it is just the business and eveyone should eat it every day. Chickens as well!

I put some in the water sometimes, and I also put cider vinegar in the water - it keeps the algae down in the drinkers and I reckon it doesn't do the chickens any harm.

i'd like to know too as you can't get the answer on the net because as soon as you google the words garlic and chicken, it just brings up ruddy recipes!

Speaking of recipes (sorry for going off the thread a bit) has anyone else decided they can't possibly eat chicken anymore :?:

It's probably just me cos it hasn't affected hubby but as soon as we got our girls I just couldn't face it again. Hubby is like this now when we go out to eat :roll:

Since we had the chickens three weeks ago we haven't eaten chicken at all. I did sort of suggest buying some when we were in the supermarket yesterday but my husband said he couldn't eat it now, He's a big softie and thinks the chooks are great. I've never spent so much time in the garden. My neighbours must think I'm mad sitting on the bench in the garden in November but I love to spend time with them watching their antics. They've had a lovely day today, free ranging all day and they almost ventured into the kitchen at one point but chickened out at the last minute.