ubereglu Posted November 23, 2007 Share Posted November 23, 2007 Aww, poor you. I hope she magically returns soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nicki9 Posted November 23, 2007 Share Posted November 23, 2007 Just caught up with this, poor you, that is horrible. I hope the rest all stay safe and she miracolously returns Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Martin B Posted November 23, 2007 Share Posted November 23, 2007 sicko teenagers Please don't refer to teenagers like this. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 23, 2007 Share Posted November 23, 2007 Don't take things personally Martin. Some teenagers are sicko's and would think this sort of thing hilarious. Many would not. There are plenty of adults with warped senses of fun too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenlass Posted November 23, 2007 Share Posted November 23, 2007 Im so sad for you...it must be horrible not knowing where the chicken is. I pray that whoever has taken her will think that they have had their so called "FUN" and pop her back..but also do themselves a a painful mischief while climbing over the fence if this indeed how they got in. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted November 23, 2007 Share Posted November 23, 2007 sicko teenagers Please don't refer to teenagers like this. Martin, I've just been back to read this; the phrase is only referring to a type of person who would play a sick joke. It's not a term for all teenagers! Anyone regular on the forum will know that we have some lovely teenagers here, and I'm sure many of us know other teenagers who are equally thoughtful, kind & responsible. So, not an attack on teenagers, just the harmful ones! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TheChookKeeper Posted November 24, 2007 Author Share Posted November 24, 2007 Well, as I said, I did report it to the police, against the advice of my whole family, who all thought it would be a waste of time. BUT... that was at about 11pm Thursday night... but 9:45 the next morning, I had 2 calls from the Police, and an e-mail all asking to phone them back - which I did as soon as I got home, and THEY FOUND HER! Well, I say "they" - it was actually a lady about 1 mile up the road who also had a whole load of birds stolen on that night - she found them in the park at the end of my road, and rescued hers, but couldn't bare to leave mine behind so took her as well, and told the police. I am SO grateful to her, and the Police! The Police had her phone me a few minutes later, and I went along to pick her up. She was very pale in her comb, with it all floppy, and she looked like she had been pulled through a muddy puddle backwards, but seemed OK otherwise. She was very quiet, but that is to be expected! I put her back with all her friends last night, and this morning she is full of beans, packing food and water away like she has been away for weeks! She still looks a bit ropey - but she is preening herself every few minutes, so I assume she will return to her natural beauty soon enough! The lady who picked them up said she had to rescue mine from a dog who was chasing her between bushes - but no obvious damage has been done (physically anyway). Unfortunately, her story didn't end so well - she had 3 peking batams and 3 ornamental ducks stolen that evening, and she has only recovered 2 of the chickens, none of the ducks. I think they were unrelated events (as strange as it sounds), as the "people" who took hers left everything open, whereas my "people" shut it all up again. Very odd. Still - I am over the moon, and am improving security as we speak to stop it happening again. I didn't feel upset as such - more like I had failed them. They provide me with all these eggs, and all they ask for in return is some food and protection - I can't help but feel I let them down on that! But not again! Machine-gun turrets are being installed as we speak (almost!). Just thought I would share the good news! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 Fantastic news. How kind of the lady to rescue her too. You haven't failed her at all. How could anyone forsee that their hens would be kidnapped? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 Crumbs! That is such good news!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JaneG Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 That's great news Glad you got her back! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 Lovely news Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karen & co. Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 I'm so pleased for you karen x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 how can they be unrelated events if the birds all ended up in the same place? I don't want to upset any specific group here but have you had gypsies move into your area lately? Ducks, chickens and even pigeons make easy pickings for hungry people. We had an ornamental pond at work which was frequented by malards until some gypsies stole them, they were seen doing it before anyone accuses me of prejudice. maybe the thieves that took your birds and this lady's birds decided they only wanted to eat the ducks and released the rest of the birds in the same place. I hope the police are still doing something about this? are they still investigating? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BeckyBoo Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 That's such good news, I've only just caught up with this, also Martin, I really didn't mean to offend, and I certainly don't think that all teenagers are sickos, unfortunately in my job I tend to deal with the minority which are the trouble-makers and the losers, people who think nothing of consequence and have no respect for anyone or anything other than themselves. Sorry sorry sorry, I genuinely didn't mean that all teenagers were like that. Mrs Bertie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
nicki9 Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 What great news, I'm really pleased for you. - and your chook Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperman Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 I am so chuffed you got her back. I was going to suggest faking a minor Bird Flu outbreak. Putting a few DEFRA bio-securtiy restricted area posters up along the fence, corden the area off with bio-hazard tape, and mooching around the garden in a full on NBC suit and gas mask. That would have made them sweat! It's really annoying when some oik decides to have his fun at the expense of a defenceless animal. Kev. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 There have been problems with people from certain parts of Europe helping themselves to ducks and carp recently, as that is what they do at home and they don't seem to understand or accept that it is against the law in this country. The matter has had a fair amount of coverage recently on the local news. Have I got News for You even gave it a mention last night. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TheChookKeeper Posted November 24, 2007 Author Share Posted November 24, 2007 I'm not aware of anyone having moved into the area recently - I think it is probably just kids - anyone sensible would have known that my chooks have no commercial value at all! We (myself and this other lady) both live in the centre of town, so there are no areas gypsies are likely to move into close by. The park (well, strip of green with some swings in!) is the only one in the area, certainly the only one in walking distance, so if you were going to release them into the "wild", this would be where you did it - plus, all her doors/gates were left open, mine were all closed up again. I don't know, they may well have been related, but I can't be sure. To be honest, I'm not all that bothered! Just as long as it doesn't happen again! As for the Police, I very much doubt they will look into it further - they have no evidence, no witnesses, nothing whatsoever to go on! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TheChookKeeper Posted November 24, 2007 Author Share Posted November 24, 2007 I was going to suggest faking a minor Bird Flu outbreak. Putting a few DEFRA bio-securtiy restricted area posters up along the fence, corden the area off with bio-hazard tape, and mooching around the garden in a full on NBC suit and gas mask. Now THERE'S an idea! I like! Less worrying for the Police than me arming myself up with weapons, or utilising electrical deterrants Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 That is lovely news,Steve. I am so happy for you Good job you reported it,eh??? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 Great news. I am so pleased you have got her back. Must be a joy you didn't expect! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenlass Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 Fantastic!! I'm so pleased to read that you have her back. Hope she is no worse for her ordeal poor thing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Bantam of the Opera Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 yay i love happy endings:D and yeah, not all teenagers are sickos, im only 17 and my boyfriend is only 16 and we love our chickens:D just some of us teens are such *********. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 I know lots of lovely teens who are in our church youth group One of them (17) church cleans with us Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicklit Posted November 24, 2007 Share Posted November 24, 2007 Brilliant news. It must be awful to lose any pet and not know what has happened to it. I'm so pleased you have your girlie back. Brenda Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...