ajm200

2/6 eggs have pipped

Hi everyone.  Been away from the forum for ages.

Three weeks ago we lost 6/8 bantams today a fox attack.  Absolutely heartbreaking as some were only a year old.  Only ones left were the broody girls who were far too focused on warming an empty nest.  They stress broke them of their broodiness for a few days and then one went back to sitting on the nest hissing and being mean.

tRhe other was out in the run but looking a bit lost so we decided to give our broody girl a chance. We bought some eggs that were due to hatch in days and she pulled them all under her immediately.  She was still in them last bedtime.  Next morning just after dawn we found the other chicken dead and she was off the nest.  We can only assume something scared them maybe the fox was close.

The eggs were stone cold so my daughter and I tucked them into our bras to warm them while we set up the incubator.  We candled them as we moved them Into the incubator and they all had veins and some moved a bit.

This morning two popped.  So excited and pleased that they weren’t lost too.  Will supply chick pics if they make it out of the shell.  Incubator is at 37.5c with humidity between 65 and 72.  It’s a cheap incubator so fluctuates a bit but the secondary thermometers agree on levels.

What an eventful first intro into hatching

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 2:36 PM, Beantree said:

Sounds exciting, but I hope you have resolved your fox problem?

We have secure converted greenhouse.   The kids felt sorry for the chickens after a long winter and spring under cover and let them out without mentioning it to anyone.  Hubby and I had no reason to think the chickens would be out as they were in and secure when we did their food and water earlier that day.  By the time the kids remembered letting them out it was too late.

Prior to the avian flu lockdown the chickens were only allowed out if we were out there and put away before we came in.

These will only be allowed on the lawn in a run