Guest Poet

Jamie lays into Sainsburys!

I don't think he needs to worry about being sacked :lol: - he's probably made enough from them to not have to work again and both of them will survive without the other.

At least Hellmans turned up - even if they did only promise to label their mayo. as using battery eggs :(

Before I knew better, I loved Hellmans mayo. :oops:

To my shame, me too!

I make my own now, done it twice using the food processor and it was so easy and much nicer anyway. I'd encourage everyone to make their own.

mayo.JPG

I've just read the JAmie Oliver article & I am gobsmacked! What exactly have they got to hide would be my question too. I had my eyes opened a bit, when I saw that chickens were sold for 2p a bird - that is disgraceful. If they have to be sold so cheap, then they certainly deserve a better way of living.

I can't even buy a full chicken these days to eat, it makes me feel sick to look at. I do however buy chicken breasts from Waitrose or my butchers in Sandbach, that I know are free range - more expensive - but I don't care & you can certainly tell the difference!

I agree everything should be labelled if it contains battery eggs - they label foods that contain nuts & gluten, so why not do the same for battery eggs?

I have been a pub recently & I wish I could remember where it was, but they actually had a blackboard outside saying ' All our food contains free range eggs'! I was very impressed!

I don't know if Jamie has one already, but by god he deserves a knighthood for all that he has done for this country - children who eat school dinners may disagree here - but I think he is fantastic in his beliefs & putting right the wrong of our country!

Rant over!

Emma.x

I think the report is a bit confusing, he's going on about farmers getting paid 3 pence per bird - surely this doesnt refer to battery hens and he's on about broiler chicken? :?

---

The company hubby works for was the only company in the UK that allowed Jamie oliver to film around their hatchery and farms as they have nothing to hide, they do standard, organic, free range and cornfed birds and of course want to stop doing standard birds and just do the rest, but until the people of this country stop buying/wanting cheap meat I dont think much will change, as most people will always want cheap!!

I applaud what JO is doing though, but with my hubby and father being both in the poultry industry (dad for over 40 years) I think there is stuff people arent being told .. :?

I think there is stuff people arent being told .. :?

what do you mean?

Im not going to go into too much detail, but when they say 3pence per bird (im talking about broilers not battery) - that looks good in headlines,..... but what they dont realise that if you have a farm with 35,000 broiler chicken @ 3pence each every 39 days - add that up and the farmer doesnt look so poor does he?! ..and thats clear profit as most of the producers pay for the feed and the antibiotics.

Thats what I mean when in the papers they dont state all the facts.

Im not dissing the farmer, nor the producer....I want free range eggs and free range birds :)

Edited by Guest

I agree everything should be labelled if it contains battery eggs - they label foods that contain nuts & gluten, so why not do the same for battery eggs?

I have been a pub recently & I wish I could remember where it was, but they actually had a blackboard outside saying ' All our food contains free range eggs'! I was very impressed!

Emma.x

Please pass those details onto me Emma, if you have a name or something :D

BBx

I'm over the moon about all this publicity. People are only ever interested in Free Range eggs and don't think about the actual chicken they are eating. I know chickens can't all be as lucky as the pampered beasts on this forum, but I think a basic standard of welfare is important and it shouldn't be as basic as it is at the moment.

I agree, Jamie deserves a medal, I work in GP land & listen to moms all the time who say that thier kids will only eat junk food rubbish, & refuse everything else & I see these little darlings racing around the surgery screaming & fighting. they are always catching bugs (I know kids do) but many moms seem to have lost the cookery skill srequired to cook anything that does not come from Iceland & go in the microwave. Its all very well to tell people to eat freash foods & cheaper to make your own but many of the folk I see waste loads on fags/prepared meals/junk and lack basic skills, or motivation. Maybe Jamie should get onto the education ministers case about teaching kids & moms to cook again!!!

A little bit out of topic, but just want to say, wholeheartedly, that I love this country for some of the things people care for!!

I grew up in Europe, and believe me, a free-range egg is not to be found... welfare of animals there? if you ask, people say 'who cares?'...

I am a vegetarian (and usually extreme about animals' welfare), and really all you hear if you mention even the slightest comment on hen welfare where i grew up is 'oh come on, don't push it'... 'shut up and eat'... and that's about the real meat stuff... try and even think to mention any hidden ingredient in anything and you get an instant 'oh for goodness sake that's really pushing things too far'.... as if animals providing the hidden ingredients didn't suffer as much as the ones producing the meat...

I migrated here for a few reasons (mostly romance.... married an englishman), but this care people have here for animals is wonderful... keep it up everyone... it is very heartwarming to see that even in these conditions people fight for more... and it is great to join in and stop buying products containing battery eggs... back home I'd be put in a mental house!!!

I'm about to take on my naturalisation exam and procedure... I don't suppose they'd take me seriously if instead of swearing allegiance to the queen I swore allegiance to free range chooks :wink:

Honestly everyone, the UK is a great country for all this... let's keep it all up and lead the rest of europe the same way... People like Jamie do help to open the public's eyes and consciousness, and that too is great...

I will feel smug next time I travel back home...