Ms Tilytinkle

X2 Mrs Pepperpots, Cube & questions :)

Hello fellow Omleties,

Hope you're all well...bit late . . but hope 2008 is a great year for all.

Its been fascinatingt learning from all your experiences.

We've now taken the plunge & ordered the EGLU CUBE, with 2 Mrs Pepperpots

( the rangers seem a bit mad for us - we're mad enough!!) we're really looking forward to them arriving in March...albeit a bit nervous.

Meanwhile we're preparing the area where the cube is going to go for the time being, at the moment its just an old veggie lot that has sprouted grass & weeds.

What is best to add to this, do we put wood shavings down & i read somehwre on here about the ash from the fire, we burn logs so we could also have areas with some of the ash.

We live on top of a hlll, very exposed -our garden which is breezy most of time but it can be windy if weather changes . . how sturdy is the cube, could it blow over easily if the wind caught it? There are areas of shelter beneath shrubbery but they're right next door to neighbours fence , where we're thinking of putting it means that they have a large garden to explore before they get anywhere near the fence. I am hoping they won't want to jump the fence, has anyone with Mrs Pepperpots have experiences with their chickens jumping over fences, the fence is only small . .about 3.5ft. We also have a wooded bit at the bottom of garden, do they like exploring amongst all overgrown natural tree laden area or will they avoid it?

Feeding them i have ordered the omlet organic food, but notice they seem to like all sorts, but to me, it seems most unnatural to give a chicken pasta & things with wheat, flavourings - ie manmade food etc . .but veggies i understand but anything like pasta etc seems an unusual food for chickens . .are there health benefits from the chickens eating a mixed diet of our food & theirs, or is it to give them treats etc. We always have s"Ooops, word censored!"s that they can share, just wondering which ones are best for them. i also read broccoli makes the yolks more orange.

We have 3 tortoise shell cats, it will be very funny to see what they ake of the chickens as they all have very different characters, but all of them are very affectionate & follow us all all over, if we're gardening all cats are on, in, next to wheelbarrow. If washing car they're al in drive with us. one of them is a chaser of anything & everything, she's a bit enthusiastic, it will be interesting to see how she is with them. We also have a neighbours cat who is a real fighter, terrorises all the other cats - has anyone had any trouble with cats chasing the chickens ?

We're relly looking forward to them arriving & looking forward to contributing/meeting fellow enthusiasts here in the forums.

Many Thanks

Ms Tilytinkle

:)PPPP

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the cube, chickens and the eglu are fantastic :D

I dont have a cube, but i can thoroughly recommend Hemcore in the run. Its very absorbant, keeps the run nice and clean and the poo manages to disappear somehow. You can buy it in bales from horsey/farm supply shops - Aubiose is a very similar product also as good.

Your ash from your fire will come in handy if you want to make a dust bath for your girls, its good mixed up with some earth and put into a container/plant pot/tubtrug and the chooks will love it. :D

Hello Chelsea, Egluntine & Moonie

Thank you for your kind reply's & welcoming warmth

Its bit different participating on forum to just being a quiet spectator :)

Chelsea i will get some Hemcore, sounds good especially bit about poo disappearing

& how often is washing everything down recommended, is weekly enough? Is there anything specific cleanser to use on wooden/plastic bits.

Moonie - sorry but don't believe you, you're trying to lure me into a false sense of coop haven, that they're simply great fun, curious inquisitve . .in other words they'll be next to me everytime i turn around. in utility room or wandering round house, in bathroom, loo . ..sitting on kitchen table at breakfast waiting for us etc They seem great fun, tame & I would love the more active curious ones ..but i think the more aloof docile ones may be better to begin with - break us all in gently!! Especially as we have patio doors opening from our sitting room into the garden, hmmm i could just envisge the Ginger 'nuts' waddling in at any time they choose in the summer.. ooh'er.

Egluntine - will be considering anything to keep it weighted down, just curious about its weight etc . .we'll find our soon enough if one morning we wake up & all in trees then we need lot more boulders :) We've lost so many gazebo's etc to the strong winds didn't want same fate for chooks & coop cube :0

Thanks again for newbie welcome & replies.

Ms Tilytickled

:DPPPP

The rangers are not mad! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree! My rangers are the most placid and easygoing of my five, and I think most people would agree. However, welcome Ms Tilytinkle. My pepperpot equivalent is the one which regularly flies over any barrier we put up and is certainly the most bold. (I love her to bits as she is so gutsy) Also, hate to disillusion you but if you leave your doors open, they will ALL come in. Chickens are incredibly nosy and also seem to like human company, so wherever you are, they will try to follow. Having said all that, I know you will love them and enjoy every minute of them! We look forward to seeing pictures soon.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chickenkeeping - I would lay money on it that you'll have more than two chickens, six months from now!

Re some of your questions: chickens will love exploring an 'overgrown, natural tree laden area' but I would be very cautious that it isn't already inhabited by foxes. I've heard some tales of people whose chickens were 'got' in that sort of area, where a fox could hide.

I endorse the suggestion of hemcore for the run! Ash will probably help keep it dry too, but hemcore/aubiose is the best stuff.

Regarding the cats: they may try and chase the chickens, after all it's hard to resist if you're a hunter. In my experience they will only try it once - mine did, and the subsequent flapping and squawking put him off for ever! Mine used to be very interested in the chooks and enjoy watching them, but if they are free-ranging he gives them a wide berth.

Hello Chelsea, Egluntine & Moonie

Thank you for your kind reply's & welcoming warmth

Its bit different participating on forum to just being a quiet spectator :)

Chelsea i will get some Hemcore, sounds good especially bit about poo disappearing

& how often is washing everything down recommended, is weekly enough? Is there anything specific cleanser to use on wooden/plastic bits.

Moonie - sorry but don't believe you, you're trying to lure me into a false sense of coop haven, that they're simply great fun, curious inquisitve . .in other words they'll be next to me everytime i turn around. in utility room or wandering round house, in bathroom, loo . ..sitting on kitchen table at breakfast waiting for us etc They seem great fun, tame & I would love the more active curious ones ..but i think the more aloof docile ones may be better to begin with - break us all in gently!! Especially as we have patio doors opening from our sitting room into the garden, hmmm i could just envisge the Ginger 'nuts' waddling in at any time they choose in the summer.. ooh'er.

Egluntine - will be considering anything to keep it weighted down, just curious about its weight etc . .we'll find our soon enough if one morning we wake up & all in trees then we need lot more boulders :) We've lost so many gazebo's etc to the strong winds didn't want same fate for chooks & coop cube :0

Thanks again for newbie welcome & replies.

Ms Tilytickled

:DPPPP

Mine would never make their way to the kitchen ....Nope NEVER!! :notalk:

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Hello Egluntine, Olly & CarolU,

Thank you for your replies .. i am already staring to get more excited by the minute, i mean look at this its lunchtime & inbetween work I am already looking for more reading material, more newbies' experiences, more experienced readings etc

Ooh "money on I'll have more in 6 months" is a daunting thought, intention only two as we just won't have enough meals to eat so many eggs, cakes, yorkshire puds etc we only use minimum amount . Hmmmmm watch this space :)

Oh no, i thought the Pepperpots were the most docile, most aloof . .from what i'd read everyone seemed to say the GingerNuts were the most er how shall we say it. . charismatic :) ..ooh dear so you don't recommend leaving patio doors open as usual then - er cream carpets etc etc

Will get some hemcore, thank you & it seems a metal food container to keep off mice.rats urgh the thought makes me shiver!! & some heavy boulders!! Will enjoy making them a 'dustbath' good to use the ashes for something.

oh dear, I'm not sure i am gong to be any good at this & if the fox did catch one i think it would put me off for life, i'd be so upset & feel so responsible .. will try to keep them away from the wood bit & hope my relationship with neighbour is enough that he will find our Mrs Pepperpots jumping into his garden an absolute treat!!! I'll bribe him with home made quiches & cakes made from free range organic eggs :)

Well back to work!!!!

Nice sharing lunch with you all :)

Ms Tilyexcited

:)PPPP

OOOOOH MY GOODNESS...MOONIE what are you trying to do to me . .. just struggling up from floor, ashen faced - screaming :)

c'mon you could've at least shown me those photies AFTER i've got them .. oooh dear. . not sure how i'd feel having them wander in kitche - they loooook sooo cute but are the house trained ..i am no good with any pooops . . i vomit everytime i clear the cats presents up & thats if they ever do emergency in cat litter tray!!! or even when they bring in a half eaten mouse.

Thank you so much, the photies are lovely - delightful chooks & kitchen too :)

Really must go .. . ..

Thank again, great to meet you all

Ms Tilyanticipating

PPPP:wink:

My pepperpot is hte only one who flew over a 4 foot fence - none of my others ever did. As for Gingernuts, my ginge is one of the most placid birds I have! Mine have a permanent run on slabs with Hemcore on the top so they dont come into the house unless they are ill or need a wash or something.

Hello BelleKatz & Jomaxsmith

I think we're going to have fun with our new chooks, we'll just have to wait & see if they're jumpers or fliers :). . then adapt garden to suit or I'll be making many quiches & cakes for neighbour forever. Its a lovely little fence & keeps all gardens & views ope & enjoyable, to put tall fence up would be an awful block to all such lovely views of such lovely trees etc.

We did look at the `eglu & really liked it but after hubby had really good look, he decided the cube & run would suit our needs more ie wheels, moving it round garden during the different seasons ..garden is quite big so it can take it & its not at al landscaped no borders, flowers mainly shrubs hydrangeras etc ..so i didnt argue as it looks rather comfortable for them if we were out all day & they weren't able to free range. Plus advantage if we do love having chicks & want more ..suppose we already have plenty room to let .

Thanks again for replys

Ms Tilytinkle :)PPPP

I dismantle and clean my eglus every week. I use ecover washing up liquid on everything including the roosting bars. A good little scrubbing brush and everything comes up lovely, dry it all off with an old towel. And then reasemble and shake some barrier red mite powder in the eglu's and some lice powder onto the roosting bars. (I do this for prevention)

My chooks are always coming into the kitchen like moonie's, its a battle to keep them out - they know where their treats come from! :roll::D

Hi there - welcome! I seem to recall that the Omlet shop has some "securing pegs". Pretty much like tent pegs, used around the "skirt" area to secure the run to the ground - I think its meant to stop things slipping down slopes or something or did I perhaps dream that!

I have three gingernuts and two pepperpots of my own and I'm currently chickensitting a pepperpot as well. My pepperpots are fab jumpers - but down rather than up. All the brood love the woody area in my garden and thoroughly enjoy having dust baths. Don't do what I did though and panic when your hens have their first dust bath. I screamed and grabbed my husband as I thought the hen was having a fit or "death throw" after being "had" by a cat. My husband laughed his socks off and told me she was having a dustbath. Well, how was I to know!

We have three cats (one of whom thinks its uncool and unnecessary to "chase" possible food when it is supplied with perfectly good stuff by us). When the chickens first arrived, one of the cats thought they'd "have a go". Thing is, the cat had only seen one chicken. The cat almost froze mid-air pounce when it realised there were infact several chickens. The cat has steared clear since. The other cat is a kitten and goes in the cube and curls up asleep with them and I have to turf him out at bedtime. He also eats the treats.

We have two dogs and one of them isn't bothered in the slightest but LOVES slurping up the chicken poo! and the other is only interested in the hens when they're in their run. When the hens are loose, he's too scared to try anything - besides he's had his nose pecked once or twice and has learnt!

The goldfish doesn't know that the chickens exist.

Gosh - what a lot of waffling - its like my whole life story!

Enjoy your chooks - you'll wonder why you didn't get them sooner !

Thank you to you all, Chelsea thats really helpful, thankyou. .. will get mite powder etc, already have ecover & scrubbing brush .Will start collecting our log ashes too.

Hello Chicken Licken & Snowy Howells .. er thanks for the support , easing me in gently does it :D okay i've gotta get my head round chicken will coming into utility room . .ah maybe they'll stay in there , do not pass go & will not find kitchen which is after utility room . .fingers crossed :) Hmmm i hope they leave kitchen as they find it & pass inspection with honours :) . .yikes .. i can just imagine when bakings .. ah dustbath in flour mix . . oooh dear !!

Hello GinaDC, teee heee your sense of humour really made me laugh.. bless the goldfish . .its all that swimming round in circles, goldfish bowl perspectives that gets them everytime .. i guess our fish won't notice ..although // hmmm stops & thinks .. .. our fish are outside in a wooden barrel with a cascading water fall flowing from top barrel to bottom - 3 in total - hmm i can already forsee one of Pepperpots balancing precariously on edge - ah so our fish might just meet chooks . .they've met the cats.

:) Will look up securing pegs - thanks. Your waffling & life chapter was warmly welcomed, thank you again to all who've shared & cared - making the effort & taking the time... much appreciated.

Ms Tilycan'twait PPPP:D

Hi Ms Tilytinkle. Welcome to the forum! I loved my Pepperpot, she was so cute. Unfortunately a fox got her, so you need to be vigilant if your girls are free-ranging.

I can vouch for the strength of the run pegs. They are great as they screw in to the ground rather than just push in. :)

Keeping chickens will change your life!

Hello Medusa & Goosey Lucy,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes Medusa will try to be vigilant as possible, will only put them out to free range when i am working & know i can keep my eye on them (i work from home, my works window overlooks garden where chooks will be (er should be :) and of course when we're all home, out & about ourselves in garden etc will get some pegs, sound just what i need.

Nice to meet you both.

Ms Tilystillexcited PPPP:)

Just to add a different view, Mrs Tilytinkle - my chickens, never, ever cross the back doorstep! I love them in the garden, but would not have them in the kitchen under any circumstances - the thought of getting poo on the kitchen floor :vom: - noooo! It's absolutely not obligatory to have them in the house, I assure you! We all have different takes on this.

Regarding the cleaning, I don't clean my Eglus every week. I don't clean some parts of the house every week, come to that! :wink: I do mine around every 3 weeks, depends how busy I am. You do need to empty the poo tray at least weekly and probably more often, but it's not too bad - it shakes into the compost bin, especially if you line it with aubiose or shredded paper. The rest is simple - I can clean two Eglus in half-an-hour if I don't spend too much time talking to the girls.

If you are worried about the poo - feed your girls powdered garlic, and it won't smell at all.