Murdo

What do you carry your chickens in ?

Just thought I hadn't seen this discussed. When you need to take them to the vet what do you put them in ?

Or alternatively, if you have to keep them inside because of sickness ?

There must be people out there with opinions on this ?

Just thought we could do with a Chook Box Jury.

I have an all wire cat carrier which opens at the top. This will also be used if my girls go broody in the summer.

If I need to bring a sick chicken inside I have an indoor bunny hutch. It is a large plastic tray( it looks like a large cat litter tray) with wire sides and top. There is a door at the side and one on the top. It measures about a metre long by half a metre wide and half a metre high. I have bought a couple of hook on containers for food and water ( the type you put in parrot cages).

I put my chickens in a large cardboard box with straw inside and airholes. They usually go all dozy when they're put in it. It was especially funny when I had to take one or mine to the vet. You could see all the other people staring at t he box and wondering what was inside it. A little embarrasing when they knew it was a chicken. I dont think many people think of taking a chicken to the vet! :oops:

i bought a cardboard poultry carrier fro the domestic fouwl trust and when innara was sick over new year and she is quite the house hook anyway we kept her indoors with a blanket on the couch and during the afternoon so she could dose on my lap and wtch tv with me and put in a wicker basket loaded with towels in the bedroom at night

** see blog for pics..**

they do have me well trained dont they

I bought a cardboard carry box from Domestic Fowl Trust too - just added it to my order last time I bought something. I put some straw over the bottom of the box and it looks quite nice and cosy :lol:

I've only used it with Gloria so far, but she loves it (tho maybe that's something to do with the sweetcorn and grapes I gave her while shut up in there :roll: )

Cookie. xx

i bought a cardboard poultry carrier fro the domestic fouwl trust and when innara was sick over new year and she is quite the house hook anyway we kept her indoors with a blanket on the couch and during the afternoon so she could dose on my lap and wtch tv with me and put in a wicker basket loaded with towels in the bedroom at night

** see blog for pics..**

they do have me well trained dont they

That's quite a :lol: image. I wouldn't dare take mine indoors in case they pooed or trod muddy footprints everywhere :shock:

I nearly had a heart attack when I go back on Beth's first day and the eglu was empty. Beth was shut separately in the run, but the others had not made it into the eglu via the open egg port (they've done it before silly things).

I tracked them down to the cardboard box on its side with straw Beth had come in that we'd left on the lawn. T and S were snuggled up very cosily in it and it looked very sweet.

When Margot was poorly and had to go the vets the only suitable carrier was a box that used to contain beer. She was indignant that it was only Carlsberg and thought she should have had 1664 at the very least :roll: Afterwards bearing in mind the :oops: and the giggles we said we could get a proper carrier. That was 7 months ago and if one had to go to the vet's today they could choose from a stella artois box or a wine crate :oops:

I never used to listen to Juke Box Jury, although I'm sure some of my school friends must have done.

As for the carrier, Lizzie came home in a cardboard box which she slept in in the kitchen and then the garage for a few nights before she started to sleep in the Eglu with the other two.

When I first had to take Ginger to the vet, I borrowed a cat basket (plastic type), then I bought my own in which I put newspaper on the bottom. This is then easy to clean and I think safer.