dogs and chickens

Eglu / Cube ????

Hi All,

I have already ordered my eglu, now I'm having second thoughts, please help?

I was perfectly happy with my decision to have an eglu, 4 hens, and the omlet netting so they could be happy outside.

Having read lots on here from different people on many different subjects, I am wondering if I have made the wrong choice!

We do not have a space issue, and I am already thinking 'will I want more than 4 hens in the long run'!!!!

Oh dear I am getting myself in a pickle! I am however very worried about the extra cost of the cube!!!

What are other people's thought on the cube verses eglu?????

Please help me decide :think:

Many Thanks

Michelle x

Don't panic - yes, I am another one who started with two and now has five (and I'm pondering just a couple more, maybe, when I get my Cube!)

However, if it's your first venture into chicken-keeping, the Eglu is absolutely brilliant, easy to clean and a great way to start.

If you do decide you want more, then you can extend it, but equally you can get back most of the purchase price on eBay, if you want to move on to a Cube.

I think what convinced me to get more is that chickens are so easy to look after. I decided that as I have to get up and feed them anyway, then I might as well feed four or five as two, and get extra eggs!

I would guess that three quarters of us have added to our original girls.

Me included - I started with 4 pekins, now have 2 of the original pekins left, 3 ex batts and 3 hybrids - oh and hopefully 2 more for my birthday!

I've got an eglu and a cube - eglu is in the run completely unused at the moment - they all sleep together in the cube!

Cleaning out - both as easy as each other, only difference is the cube probably takes 15 seconds longer as there's another tray to clean out!

I would agree with Olly and suggest sticking with the eglu to begin with. As others have said, eglus hold their price really well and sell like hot cakes on ebay, so you could upgrade later at very little additional outlay. :)

You will want more though. We started with 2, lost one to a fox, so bought another 2 making 3. We've now got another 2 on order.......... :wink:

Hello Michelle,

Ah'nother newbie?. .me too & actually we're having exactly same considerations . . even looked at the wooden ones on Fowl trust . .we've ordered the eglu cube & its arrival date is March .. but we're only keeping two chickens.

However we sat even this morning mulling thoughts over breakfast discussing do we really need cube & expense . .maybe have eglu or maybe the wooden coop . . but as we worked through all of our needs, considering the conveniences that i prefer with height of cube the extended run, wheels etc .. i think we're going to maintain our order for cube & if we get along fine with them then probably will get more chicks too without having to buy or add anything else..

I used exactly same conclusion about eBay to my hubby this morning - as i firstly thought i'd get one 2nd hand but the amount of money they go for I thought mayas well buy new one, service & set up . .so I know we'd always get or money back.

When does yours arrive . .. we've ordered two Mrs Pepperpots

Its a gorgeous day here, sun shining & blue skies - hope it sunny & warm for everyone else too wherever you all are.

Ms Tilystillexcited

PPPP:)

Thanks so much for all your replies I think I have made up my mind :dance: .

I have taken everything all of you guys have said into consideration and have concluded that the cube is the way to go :roll: .

I was worried it would be much harder to clean as larger but I have had my worries on that put to sleep - Many Thanks :D .

I was also ordering the omlet netting and winter cover with my eglu, I would not need either of these items with the cube. As the space in the run included is big enough (or how I understand it) for six hens, and my OH is planning on building a run for them at some stage anyway, so would save on that cost.

I am more than sure I will add to the hen's group at some stage, and although selling the eglu on ebay gets back a really healthy amount, I'm not sure how much hassle would be involved in the sale, plus I would not be able to afford the cube if I still had the eglu. Where as if I buy the cube now I can afford it - If that makes sense :!:

I was also thinking, on my way home from work this afternoon, that if we went away on holiday and were not around, I would not be happy leaving the hen's 'out' in the omlet netting when we were not at home. But if we had the cube then they are in their fox proof run and I would not worry. Which would mean that whoever was looking after them would have an easier time!!! They would not be able to stay in fox proof run of the eglu as it's not big enough for the four chickens I am planning on getting.

All the items for the eglu together with chickens came to about £550. All the items for the Cube including chickens comes to about £700. If I changed my mind later I'm sure it would cost me more than £150 to upgrade :?:

I think you can tell my mind is made up :o

Our's is due to arrive at the end of Feb. But that I guess may change when I change my order on Monday! Oh do you think they will be cross :oops: I hate mucking people around. I guess they must get this a lot from customers who want to do the right thing for the feathered friends.

Many Thanks for all your help

Michelle

I'm sure that Omlet won't be cross with you- it's a big decision to make- and you have made the right one by upgrading to a cube straight away :D

I'm due to get a couple more girls in May & I would love a cube- I just can't afford it.

I bought my eglu 2nd hand from ebay just as the cube was launched. I've also got the netting & I will have to buy a convertor when I get my new hens.

Hello Michelle.

Try no to worry about ringing them, they're very helpful & the lady i spoke with was very kind & nice to speak with. i had to ring to change the delivery date of my order they were very accommodating. I'm sure they will be delighted with the order . . after all its for 'their 'cube so they're probably enjoying the benefits of the change

there is an email contact - you could email them today & if anyone is there they'll maybe ring you back today then you're mind will be at ease.

Its a worthy change of mind, i can only imagine they'll respect that you want to only make the right purchase for you & your chooks...they'll still be thankful its theirs youre choosing :)

Ms Tilycountingdown PPPP

Oh do you think they will be cross :oops: I hate mucking people around. I guess they must get this a lot from customers who want to do the right thing for the feathered friends.

I am sure they wouldn't be cross! After you all, you are spending more money with them and they are lovely people anyway (well they sound lovely whenever I phone them up). Also I'm sure they understand the nervous excitement of first-time Omleteers. :wink:

Good luck with your cube and girls. Keep us posted!

No, don't get 6, GET 7!!

We started last year with 5 chickens and an orange cube, within two days it went up to 7, then late last year we inherited 4 bantams, latest additions this year were 4 ex-batts, it's addictive you know!!

The REAL question should be, what colour cube are you going for? :wink:

Mrs Bertie

My hubby thinks the pink and the purple are awful!!!!! I really wanted a pink house as it's for the girlies!!!! My next choice was purple - went down a storm! I can only have chickens if I have the boring old green!!!!! So green it is! Although I was told the blue was ok, and the orange was maybe alright, can't remember of the top of my head what other colours there are! No offence meant to anyone with above, just hubby's opinion :roll: !!!

So seven is better than 6, oh dear maybe I should get 8 :lol: !

My hubby thinks the pink and the purple are awful!!!!! I really wanted a pink house as it's for the girlies!!!! My next choice was purple - went down a storm! I can only have chickens if I have the boring old green!!!!!

Tee hee! I got a green one last year because I thought it would "fit in" more with nature. My 2nd purple eglu arrived last week and I LOVE IT!!!!!

Treacle christened it with its first egg yesterday. :)