Helen&Lee

Aldi

Well the chooks had a veritable feast this morning, Cherry toms, Cucumber and grapes(500g) all 59p each in Aldi.

I was torn really, while the chooks will enjoy fine treating :lol: the poor producers of this must have been paid a pitance.

Would you be tempted by such an offer - or refuse on moral grounds?

Helen

It's interesting, I was thinking about something similar the other day...

Our girls have organic layers pellets. However, almost all of their treats are non-organic. Therefore, their eggs cannot be described as organic...

Do others do the same or do you only give your chickens organic 'treats'? Does it really matter as the eggs aren't being sold - is it more about knowing where your eggs come from and what goes into them then having them certifiably organic...?

Rob

Helen said:

I was torn really, while the chooks will enjoy fine treating the poor producers of this must have been paid a pitance.

Would you be tempted by such an offer - or refuse on moral grounds?

I've also moralised over this and don't buy extra treats for the hens, they only get our leftovers.

It's incredible I still overestimate how much pasta, potatoes, carrots we'll eat :D

Hmm not sure about the workers being paid peanuts, when we were made to realise that farmers sell chickens to the supermarkets for 3p each. I reckon that some things are tuppence & its the supermarkets that put the high price on things. I know when I worked for a leading department store, there mark up was 200%! :shock:

So don't always feel guilty! Or grow your own!

Emma.x

Me too Lucy, although I usually get some spare leaves from the market stalls, when they take them off the fruit for display. And then, I went to Tesco ( :twisted: ) the other night and they had loads of greens, apples and carrots (all organic) and reduced down to 10p a go, because they were on their sell by date. I have to admit to stocking up for the chooks and bunnies.

I try to get the girls veg regularly in the winter. They get out leftovers too, but we don't often have green s"Ooops, word censored!"s, and I worry about them missing out on all the goodness they get from eating grass in the summer. Mostly I chuck a cabbage in every few days, but OH has a thing about buying them broccoli. Don't know why.

The peanuts must surely be the minimum wage though.

Now whilst I wouldn't want to live on it I know plenty of people who would have been happy with that. I would have been happy if my ex had ever had a full time job at minimum wage in the last few years we were together. He managed to only take part time jobs for minimum wage when I nagged him sensless and found the jobs for him!

It's interesting, I was thinking about something similar the other day...

Our girls have organic layers pellets. However, almost all of their treats are non-organic. Therefore, their eggs cannot be described as organic...

Do others do the same or do you only give your chickens organic 'treats'? Does it really matter as the eggs aren't being sold - is it more about knowing where your eggs come from and what goes into them then having them certifiably organic...?

Rob

I think we're mad enough to only feed the laydees organic veg, and have been known to buy sweetcorn, brocolli and cabbage just for them. I'd formed the mind that I wasn't going to give them any chemicals that could get through into the eggs as we don't eat them ourselves and buy organic or grow our own without all the nasties.

I've yet to sell 20 eggs since we've had the laydees, instead we end up giving them away to friends and family :oops:

A

xx

We buy sweetcorn especially for them - is that bad? :oops:

I guess if you're not too fussed whether they're organic or not, then it doesn't matter what treats you feed them. However, if you want 100% organic eggs then you should only feed organic treats.

A lady at work questioned whether they were free range as they are only let out of the run when we're there...?

Rob