Moonie

Ideas please!

Hello all! Thought i would call upon all your bright ideas and inspiration for a new chook run. I have just bought an extra bit of land at the bottom of our garden about 1/4 of an acre so ooodles of room. Anyway I have an eglu and a cube to incorporate and quite like this one

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12663 scrunchees one.

What size would be best for 6 girls and what objects can i put in it to make it interesting for the girls. Also what is the best base, is it patio slabs and then hempcore on top?? All suggestions most welcome. :D

our walk in run is 12 x 6 feet and we have 4 chooks with 2 eglus.

I would say our size is good for 4, but if you can afford a little more room it would be even better for 6 hens.

Hubby built a brick rectangular base and then screwed in aviary panels into the brick so its solid around the bottom and no rats can dig under the wood.

You could do something similar with patio slabs around the bottom also.

We have a nice layer of hemcore across the whole bottom of the run.

Perches/platforms/ladders/branches etc are all a great addition to a run.

Congrats on the extra bit of land....im really :mrgreen::lol:

there are so many "new run/run finshed" threads on here at the moment, maybe looking in the chicken section for posts with this title will give you some ideas. Cinnamon's hubby just finished one not long ago and catscube aswell.

This thread with witchazels lovely run in has a slideshow for you to click on which shows exactly how her hubby built their run :D

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19738

Nothing flash but here's our work in progress. It's wired up now (chicken wired) and has 3 straw bales to climb on. I'm getting half a dozen logs to make a log pile for them to climb and to grow bugs in, OH is building two triangular platforms in the corners with long ramp ladders so they can sit up high, and I'm off into the woods tomorrow to collect some branches to make perches. The cube is on the outside and has the initial wire run still attatched then the run is wired up to the big chicken run if you see what I mean. I've put food in there today and they were all in together and there was loads of room - there's 14 of them in all.

february059.jpg

Mrs Bertie

Nothing flash but here's our work in progress. It's wired up now (chicken wired) and has 3 straw bales to climb on. I'm getting half a dozen logs to make a log pile for them to climb and to grow bugs in, OH is building two triangular platforms in the corners with long ramp ladders so they can sit up high, and I'm off into the woods tomorrow to collect some branches to make perches. The cube is on the outside and has the initial wire run still attatched then the run is wired up to the big chicken run if you see what I mean. I've put food in there today and they were all in together and there was loads of room - there's 14 of them in all.

february059.jpg

Mrs Bertie

love it! Thanks Mrs Bertie, defo food for thought! :D

Congrats on the extra bit of land....im really :mrgreen::lol:

Same here - sadly I don't think South Cambs council would sell me the recreation ground adjoining our garden, just to build a chicken house on :(

Based on the Omlet run, you would need at least 6sqm for the run plus a bit of extra space for your eglu and cube (though the cube is high up, so there is room for the hens to walk underneath it).

Apart from that I have nothing to add - sounds like you have it sorted!

I don't understand how you say a 12ft run by 6ft is only big enough for 4 chooks when Omlet say that a Cube with standard run is big enough for 6?

To me, looking at a cube and a standard run it doesn't look anywhere near big enough for 6 - more like 3 the same as an eglu. Have I misread the Omlet information or is that the minimum space 6 chickens could be in? :?

I don't understand how you say a 12ft run by 6ft is only big enough for 4 chooks when Omlet say that a Cube with standard run is big enough for 6?

To me, looking at a cube and a standard run it doesn't look anywhere near big enough for 6 - more like 3 the same as an eglu. Have I misread the Omlet information or is that the minimum space 6 chickens could be in? :?

There is a big difference between the space you need per hen if they are being moved around, and the space you need for a fixed run.

The Omlet Cube run is fine for that many chooks if you are moving it around your garden, giving them fresh grass every week or so.

Our fixed run is just under 2m by just under 4m, plus a T bit of about 2 metres squared. This is big enough for 4, maybe 5 hens, but not more.

I'm not sure how that works, we had a cube with one extension and had 7 full sized hens, then 7 with three bantams added and it was fine. That said they free-ranged a lot, it would have been a bit claustrophobic if they'd been in there all day every day and I think there would have been fights. Our new run will have 11 full sized hens plus 3 bantams and there's plenty of room, (might even squeeze two more in :wink: ) but they will have plenty to climb on, hide under, perch on, sit on etc so they can get away from each other and they will still free range altho nowhere near as much. Plus I think the quotes from Omlet are also the Government numbers ie: that amount of space qualifies them as free range, well the government says it's OK for a hen to live in a cage on a slope the size of an A4 piece of paper so I don't set any store by them. It also allows for the fact that your hens will be free-ranging some of the time, or I think it does. I can't be sure and am open to be corrected, but I think you would know what looked big enough and what was too crowded, just base it on the worst case scenario - that they would be in it all the time. If that looks big enough then it probably is.

Mrs Bertie

I said that we have 4 chooks in a 12 x 6 run, its my personal choice that we have 4 in the run, we probably could fit loads more in if we wanted (and if i could persuade my husband :roll: ) but 4 is comfortable and spacious enough for my lot to scamper around in. Lots of people on here have home made runs and have more chooks than me quite happily in their run. its what you feel happy with.

I can't be sure and am open to be corrected, but I think you would know what looked big enough and what was too crowded, just base it on the worst case scenario - that they would be in it all the time. If that looks big enough then it probably is.

Mrs Bertie

agree with you Mrs B. :wink:

I said that we have 4 chooks in a 12 x 6 run, its my personal choice that we have 4 in the run, we probably could fit loads more in if we wanted

Sorry my post prob came out wrong! :oops: I was questioning Omlet's statement of 6 hens in a cube rather than yours of 4 in your run - obviously more space is much nicer for them. I'm much happier to think of my 5 bantams now that I let them free range all day long, and they seem so much happier.

I said that we have 4 chooks in a 12 x 6 run, its my personal choice that we have 4 in the run, we probably could fit loads more in if we wanted

Sorry my post prob came out wrong! :oops: I was questioning Omlet's statement of 6 hens in a cube rather than yours of 4 in your run - obviously more space is much nicer for them. I'm much happier to think of my 5 bantams now that I let them free range all day long, and they seem so much happier.

No worries :) I thought you were worried about size in a built run. :wink:

I know what you mean though - it is confusing!

My new run is 2.5m x 3.5(ish) so based on the eglu rule of 1 hen per section of run (1 metre), I could put 8.75 hens in there. Despite the extra height and additional space in terms of their tree, perches, and eventually platforms and ladders, etc. I still think that would be far too many and I don't want them to fight or start feather pulling. I am aiming on adding another pair in a couple of months and ultimately having 5. :D

Hi - I'm a newbie as of yesterday.

Our ladies arrived today and I am exhausted because I've almost burst with excitement!

Anyhow, Simon, our Omlet installation guy commented on the wood chips I had and suggested that I shared the info but as you have so much space to use this may be of interest......I called a local tree surgeon and asked for their wood chip waste - they were pleased to oblige as they have to pay to dump it!

It was ungraded but it was free - we just picked the holly and pine tree branches out of the chips. Smells good too! :D

Good luck with your designs, I'm sure they will look fab!

Cathie.

Welcome chillicat and congrats on your new chooks.

Fab tip. Will check on Yell.com for tree surgeons as I need to fill my new run and I was trying to work out today how much easibed I would require (and the cost!).

I'm also thinking of utilising our garden shredder (after walks in the woods)a bit more in the near future IYKWIM!!