Chuckov

Anxious wait for first egg...

Hi There,

I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to say that I had my hen's arrive from Omlet at the beginning of March and 4 of them have not laid yet. 1 is nearly there as she's crouching but no other signs!

It feels like forever this waiting, I keep having to remind myself that it has only been a month!

Hope your hens lay soon

Michelle

Hi Michelle, I know know know of course that it can be 4-6 weeks, but it doesn't stop you hoping it will happen sooner!

I think there's every chance that yours and mine came from the same 'batch' and maybe as others have suggested they are sending them out slightly earlier than usual to keep up with demand... Ah well - keeping fingers crossed for you too!

Hi Emma,

I guess they probably did come from the same batch, the 'Omlet' chap said mine were about 16wks when they arrived, so that would make them about 20wks now, so hopefully soon :roll: ! I now have 15 chickens and the others are all laying, so not like waiting for the first egg like you, but I'm still checking all day long, and checking the run in case they do not realise where they are meant to lay. I'm sure my Son thinks I have gone mad, with my 'I'm just going up the garden to check for eggs', about every half hour :roll: I'm sure if he could talk he would tell me to get a grip :wink: !

Fingers crossed for both of us soon!

Michelle

If your Omlet hens are from the same batch as mine they may be very young. I was told that the gingernuts were less than 16 weeks old and the pepperpots were slightly older.

Two weeks on one of the pepperpots is crouching but the gingernuts just have a little white line where their combs should be - it hardly looks like a comb at all

Signs that they are coming into lay are development and reddening of the wattles and comb, an increase in appetite and crouching when you approach.

If none of these are happening, they are probably still a bit young.

Cut back on the treats and encourage them to eat up their pellets, as treats can crowd out the nutritious food that aids laying. :lol:

Still no eggs... We have all the signs, red face, red wattle and comb, definite crouching, and those that replied and said you will know it when you see it are right :lol: ....I'm sure it can't be long now!

Come on Nutmeg! Come on Ginger! Stop freeloading and start earning yer keep :D

Anything from Tikka yet?

Mine that arrived on the 17th March haven't laid if that makes you feel any better. :lol: The Miss Pepperpot's have been crouching for about 10 days now but they're obviously teasing!

I'm sure now that the hens from the sort of first half of March must be on the young side. My Gingernut is also I would say a lot younger than my Pepperpot.

Hi,

I would tend to agree that they are a little young, ebony (pepperpot) laid her first egg on Friday and her next today, but Henny (Ranger) has only just started to crouch :)

I guess the early March batch from Omlet might have been a little young but, they are really healthy and seem very happy so I guess we'll just have to keep waiting for Henny to produce and they are lovely chucks :D

Perhaps Omlet could produce a 'hatching certificate' which would identify when they hatched and thus we could all be sure, especially for first timers like us - might be a lot of work though I suppose.

Interestingly enough when we emailed Merrydale Farm (where we got the other two from) the lady knew exactly how old they were (15 1/2 weeks) when we got them, so we are not going to start holding our breath for another couple of weeks or so (making them about 20 weeks) !!!

Edited by Guest

javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

Rolling Eyes

We got our two on 11/3 also, and they're not laying yet, but the gingernut's comb is definitely getting bigger and redder. The pepperpot is a much bigger hen but has hardly had any comb/wattle development. I'm outside in my pyjamas at 6.30 every morning hoping for my extra special breakfast to be delivered! Good luck with yours...

(green eglu)

GNR Hermione

PP Pepper

Don't want to worry you guys but I got my girls on 9th September and had to wait till 31st January for Molly (then 39 weeks) to lay properly (she laid 10 tiny eggs in October then stopped :? ).

The other two didn't lay until 27th and 28th November (aged 28 weeks) :roll: .

I did eventually give up looking in the nestbox every day - but how excited was I when I eventually found an egg :dance::dance: .

Hi Amani, welcome to the 4 Weeks And Counting club :D Hermione and Pepper sound almost exactly the same as Ginger and Nutmeg in terms of development. Nutmeg is crouching all the time, and everything's red but her comb is still small. Ginger's comb is bigger and she is crouching occasionally but her face isn't reddening up....maybe we have sister hens!

Sarah, has Tikka still not laid?

Cathy, ANH, I really do hope we don't have to wait quite that long for some eggs, I have a naked Egg Skelter sitting in my kitchen! :lol::lol:

The current Tikka situation! Hi all, thanks for asking about Tikka, as far as I am aware still no eggs from her :(

She has red wattles and a red comb now but is not crouching. I don't think it's the case that she is laying and they are being eaten as there is never any egg shell or traces of sticky egg in the eglu or run.

They do free range but only when I am there to watch (which isn't that often) and as I watch every 5 mins or so I'm pretty sure I would know if there was a secret stash. TBH all Tikka does whilst free ranging is act as a guard chicken to Madras or have a peck about.

I am getting a little worried now as I have had her nearly 6 weeks? Madras has been laying for 2 weeks now. :?