I feel SO guilty for spalshing out on a new super cube and 3m run. They are ridiculously expensive but are very much 'the must have item'. My OH was astounded at the cost for 'a bit of plastic' and wasn't convinced by the easy to clean, bigger run, easier to control red mite etc as I explained to him. Now I've just found out that a close friend of mine is about to be hit hard as her husband is set to loose his job in four weeks time. I feel so terrible as here I am splashing about £735 on a whim to keep me and my hens happy and she is wondering how their household will manage on her income of £7k a year! I feel embarrased at spending when she is struggling to keep afloat. :oops:

Don't feel guilty. You've worked hard for your money and shouldn't feel you can't spend it on what you want because someone is having a tough time. Think of the silly money the "rich and famous" spend on tasteless and unnecessary tat.

Give your friend your time and support - which are priceless!

I once caught sight (accidentally) of a friend's monthly mortgage payments - they were more than mine and OH's monthly income :shock: .

Just after our Cube arrived we discovered that my OH is losing his job - particularly difficult as his hours were nicely arranged to pick up our children from school. Before I could even get into a debate of whether to send back the Cube, he was out in the garden building it (despite hating chickens). You never know what life will throw at you so don't feel guilty about your Cube - your guilt will not help your friend, your friendship will - put away the guilt and give your friend some fresh eggs and lots of love.

You never know what life will throw at you so don't feel guilty about your Cube - your guilt will not help your friend, your friendship will - put away the guilt and give your friend some fresh eggs and lots of love.

Beautifully put.

By purchasing a cube you are helping to keep someone else, working for a British firm, in employment. No need to feel guilty at all. I'm sure your friend wouldn't want that.

You know, if your friend is a friend there will be no problem with your purchase on their part. They'll be glad for you.

Fur was made redundant 17 years ago and it took 9 months to get another job....BUT we never begrudged others having money. We were pleased they weren't in our position. The Cube & Eglu aren't "mass produced", so will be more in cost, AND they are British made so we agree with what others have already posted.

Enjoy your chickens :wink:

Cinnamon, I totally agree! Live for the moment!

Just be gentle & caring towards your friends. Take them for a little run out, with a bit of a lunch packed up. A free day out, will perk them up no end & give them a break from what is going on at home. Hopefully things will get better for them in the end & they will remmber the hard times and how your friendship helped them through!

Emma.x

I totally agree with what everyone else has already said, dont feel guilty at all, people will always find a way to survive. I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason. Be there for them and if the guilt does get the better of you offer them some of those wonderful eggs every now and again or maybe agree a low price for them so there is no obligation on either side if you know what I mean.

Sarah.x