One Man Banned

Mayor For London Results

So it's taking longer than expected to announce who the winner of the Mayor For London.

Tessa Jowell has claimed it unlikely that Boris will win it - yes on the BBC news at 2200, they said that both Labour and Tory spokespeople claim that it will be Boris' Big Day! :S

Of course it doesn't affect us here in Gloucestershire but for those of you in the Capital, what are your thoughts?

A

xx

I travel on the Tube every day, work in London, but live half a mile outside the London boundary - so I didn't get the chance to vote this time. :evil:

I am waiting with great interest - it's a tough job, and while I don't agree with everything Ken Livingstone has done, he genuinely loves London.

I don't know how they can predict the result so confidently, there's this 'second preference' which I believe is how Ken got elected last time. Should be through about midnight, I think.

Well, its Boris is it?

So do I get a new MP for Henley then I wonder?

Boris is actually a genuinely lovely man & I think he will do a good job.

He was always available to us constituants, even popping to my friends house once after a letter.

I won't make any political comment as I am not sure the forum is the right place for that,but I think Boris may suprise a few people 8)

Are we not allowed to make political comments on the forum? Makes it difficult to discuss the mayoral thing :(

First time in my life I have voted for anything remotely Conservative, I am

delighted that ol' Boris has won :) To give him his due Ken has done wonders with the buses, except he brought in the dreaded 'bendy' buses and he s"Ooops, word censored!"ped the wonderful Routemasters :evil: I dislike Ken, always have, he seems to think London is his own personal fiefdom and our Council Tax his own private kitty (not the furry kind) :shock: He also makes very dodgy friends :shock: I am hoping that Boris will be a breath of fresh air and fingers crossed he doesn't mess up :roll:

I feel a bit sorry for Gordon Brown.

Tessa

Are we not allowed to make political comments on the forum? Makes it difficult to discuss the mayoral thing :(

I didn't say you are not allowed, I said that I don't think its right on the forum, & that is a presonal thing,not a moderators decision. :roll:

All too often views on politics along with religion etc,become very heated & comments become personal & nasty.......

I was taught that there are three things to steer clear of when making conversation - religion, politics and sex :wink: . As Sarah says, these subjects often become heated and can turn nasty as people often have very strong opinions on them.

I understand Kate and Cinnamon. Other lists/forums I am on have banned politics and religious discussion because it can get nasty. Never thought about not discussing sex :shock::)

Tessa

Whilst not wishing make political statements or prompt a discussion I also think Boris will surprise a few people. I'm just outside Henley so Theresa May is our local MP but Boris has a great reputation locally. He comes across as genuinely caring and does a lot of good work which never makes the national press.

I used to be a Ken supporter from way back and went to the GLC closing down bash but I'd have voted for Boris. I just felt Ken was looking seedly (not literally although he was that too)

... I am delighted that ol' Boris has won :) To give him his due Ken has done wonders with the buses, except he brought in the dreaded 'bendy' buses and he s"Ooops, word censored!"ped the wonderful Routemasters :evil: I dislike Ken, always have, he seems to think London is his own personal fiefdom and our Council Tax his own private kitty (not the furry kind) :shock: He also makes very dodgy friends :shock: I am hoping that Boris will be a breath of fresh air and fingers crossed he doesn't mess up :roll:

I feel a bit sorry for Gordon Brown.

Tessa

I voted for Boris. Yes, although Ken did some things well - and his speech after the 7/7 bombings was truly statesmanlike, I think - I too have been dismayed by some of his alliances, and he had some very alarming plans for widening the powers of the Mayor, plans that horrified even our deep-dyed Labour Council. And the Congestion Charge has not reduced pollution levels, dunno why.

Of course, Boris may not abandon those plans for Mayoral powers but we'll have to see. Boris is no buffoon - all that hair and saying "cripes" - is his "persona".

I don't feel sorry for Gordon Brown - abandoning the 10p tax band became government policy while he was still at the Treasury. And I still don't understand how he could be so unselfaware as to excavate his nose in Parliament on tv.

I too will watch with interest. I like what I see of Boris hes hilarious on tv programmes like have I got news for you but you can also tell theres a bright person behind the buffoon figure. He also makes mistakes in the public eye and this makes him seem 'normal'.

I don't live in London but I'm 7 miles outside of Portsmouth in the suburbs of Waterlooville.

When Boris came to visit Portsmouth and obviously drove up the M275 past the council flats and industrial areas he said post visit it was horrible LOL :lol::lol:

Well done that man :D

If I did live in London he would have had my vote for being honest!

It's interesting to hear from some people who have seen the 'real' Boris, as it were. I'm well aware that neither he nor Ken, nor any of the other candidates, are as they have been described in the press - they pick out the juicy bits of scandal, the 'silly' hair, the newts thing and so on, and focus on those because it makes for an easy story.

Time will tell - I wouldn't want to do that job for anything!

Agreed, especially with the Olympics coming up. I read in the paper today that Boris's dad, Stanley, is thinking of standing for Henley when his son stands down :shock: I've seen Stanley on the telly and he is exactly like Boris in looks and demeanour, should be interesting if he gets in.

Tessa

It will be interesting to see how things work out with Boris, it will certainly be fun!!

It really is a personality thing with Boris isn't it :) I read a comment in one of the papers today. A columnist wrote that everytime Gordon Brown came on the tv he felt that he had called the doctor out and the undertaker had arrived instead :shock::) Every time I see Boris it is like a ray of sunshine has arrived and it looks like it could be fun. Of course it remains to be seen what he does with the job, could be a mega disaster :roll:

Tessa

I think it's good that Boris won. London needs a bit of a shake up and he's the perfect guy to do it.

Overall I'm a lib dem person myself and don't have faith ion Tory politics, but I shan't go into that. I only do so with my family as my friends aren't really into it! :lol:

I think that job could be one of the best jobs in the world !

However I wouldn't be prepared to be a politician to get it :roll:

(Edited to practice getting the hang of quotes :oops: )

Edited by Guest