poachedegg

Am I mssing something about the Cube?

One thing I will add to this is that the Cube with standard run is advertised as suitable for up to six hens.

I would say that at best this is very optimistic.

Whilst the Cube will easily sleep ten I reckon the run is only suitable for about four especially if it is not moved around the lawn.

We had six in a standard run and they knocked seven bells out of each other presumably due to lack of space. I was coming home to a blood bath every other day. Strange that this didn't happen until we had had them for about 10 months though.

Since I built the new walk in run we have had no further problems.

Kev.

Sorry to tag on this thread.. however I was interested in the advice above and would like to check if I am doing the right thing! I would love some advice from cube owners out there .. please :think:

I am waiting for a cube + standard run and did read the 6 Hen info, however already decided that this would be too many for the amount of time they will be enclosed so decided on 4.

My girls would only get to free range for a hour or 2 each evening plus longer at weekends.

As they are going to be kept the run on a perm slab gravel site (poss grass Summer) I have been worried that even 4 is too many and that perhaps 3 would be a better number to reduce chances of bullying/ pecking due to frustration.

Does anyone agree that 3 would be a better number than 4 to start with? :?

I should add I plan to build walk in run but not for another year and could add more girls then ( if OH allows!) :dance:

I would go further and say that the Cube with even with one extension is only suitable for four hens (if they don't get out much). I am not claiming that the Cube set-up is massive; only that it is much better than the Eglu space-wise.

I like the spare space in the Cube: it means that if I don't let my four hens out early enough in the summer, I know that they have room to move about and aren't stacked like they are in the Eglu, or getting too hot.

(If? I mean when. They would be ready to get up before 5am at the moment.)

The design of the cube does well in a walk in run, as well as the omlet run. The extra height means that you can have branches so the hens can use the upper space. Also, in the afternoons, I take off the grey back of the cube,and slide the roof slightly towards the front. Our hens love to fly up and sit on the perches in the afternoon, and I feel this is good use of the whole space.

:lol: I like that one! Well, you put vegetable peelings in one end, and get compost out the other, so I suppose you could call it that!

Egg Lou, to answer your post - I think 4 will be fine. I do agree that the Cube isn't big enough for six, but I honestly think the difference between 3 and 4 in that space is minimal - I would not change your order. If they get a bit of free-range time they will be fine.

Thanks Olly, it really helps to get advice when a novice as me! :D

I haven't ordered my chickens as getting them locally rather than Omlet and still choosing what to have!

I guess it might be best to see the size of hen I finally choose but it is very reassuring to know I'm on the right track!

I think by the time winter comes around I will need at least one extension as dark by the time I get home so poor things won't get out much during week. :cry:

Egg Lou,

I didn't mean to worry anyone I just didn't want anyone to go through the same bloodbath we had to. :sad:

I don't know for certain if it was a space issue but it looks that way.

Our six were fine for months, it was just the winter weather amplified the problem as they didn't get out to play as much.

When Splodge died (unrelated to the aggro I hasten to add) the remaining five got on fine in the standard run whilst waiting for me to finish the walk in one.

I think four will be fine, so don't worry.

I think the 'suitable for upto six hens' on the website may be true if you have a garden the size of a football pitch and move them around a lot.

Kev.

Ifyou look at the experts at Wernlas - they have runs that move around - they are moved once a week and apparently there will only be chickens on the same patch of grass every 8 weeks - so if you applied that in a garden situation you would have to have a garden 8 times bigger than the cube run.

Tracy

Ifyou look at the experts at Wernlas - they have runs that move around - they are moved once a week and apparently there will only be chickens on the same patch of grass every 8 weeks - so if you applied that in a garden situation you would have to have a garden 8 times bigger than the cube run.

Tracy

I have been known to exaggerate :lol::lol::lol::lol: Maybe a five a side football pitch sized garden then :D

Kev.

Egg Lou,

I didn't mean to worry anyone I just didn't want anyone to go through the same bloodbath we had to. :sad:

Kev.

Don't worry Kev! I had already decided that I would not have 6 before even ordering the cube as feel I need a much bigger run. I just want the hens to be as happy as possible given that they will be confined for a lot of the time in the week. I cannot build walk in run till next year, but having waited 10 years to get agreement for chooks could not wait another year to get some!

From reading here.. I have no doubt that once I have a bigger run I will be adding to my initial flock :lol:

Bit slow on the uptake me, we started with 5 standard sized hens in a cube with the extension and they were fine. That said they had quite a lot of free range time. They're now confined to our walk in run so it's not an issue and the cube is purely for egg laying (when they can be bothered :roll: ) and sleeping, and we comfortably sleep 11 standard hens and two bantams. When it was just the cube and run we also had sticks and poles in there for them to perch on (til we had four all on one branch which sagged so much in the middle it eventually snapped - I was watching at the time and it was quite funny!) and we had logs in there for them to stand on which you couldn't do with an ordinary eglu run. Personally I would also love and Eglu as, same as Gallina, I think they are a thing of beauty! 8)

Mrs Bertie