poachedegg

Am I mssing something about the Cube?

It really looks no bigger does it and as for the eglu run - well its so small and the dinky door is terrible - they would be more ideally suited to a built run which I must now save up for = I am too big to bend into these small spaces nowadays. Mine only get shut in at night time till morning in the run with the eglu door open and they are very quiet in the mornings now the door is open. I let them out to range within the netting all day.

I agree that the height is somewhat unused space on the cube, but the run is bigger - not longer - the eglu & standard run is longer than a cube but the cube run dose not taper in, so the floor space is a lot more.

Tracy

I have an Eglu and a Cube, and the Cube run makes much better use of space. Not only is there the shady area under the Cube for shelter, but the run doesn't taper to a narrow, virtually unusable area.

I do however have one extension to the Cube run: without it, it is too small, and with it, it is perfectly proportioned.

If you have large breeds of hen which dig at the sides of the Eglu run, the raised mound of soil in the middle means that they can never stand up straight, as their heads touch the roof.

The other advantage of the extra head space in the Cube is that the run cover is high up and out of the way, so the living area is lighter and airier.

No it doesn't! Even the standard 2m Cube run gives a lot more ground space than the standard 2m Eglu run. (It may not look bigger in pictures, because it is about as wide as it is long.)

Obviously both are exactly the same length. But the Cube run is as wide for its whole length as the Eglu run is at its widest point. So the Cube run offers much more ground space as well as height.

And also because of the sloping sides the only part of the Eglu run that gives free access to the hens at full height is the part down the middle, whereas the ground is nearly all usable in the Cube run (except for the parts occupied by the wheels).

And if you put a 1m extension on a Cube and a 1m extension on an Eglu, it makes the Cube run seem massive, while the Eglu run starts to look like a tunnel.

There is nothing wrong with the Eglu and run: but it is wasteful of space.

OK lets look at the figures - sadly I did this before deciding which one to buy - these are the floor areas inside each run for comparioson - you have to remember to take off the 20cm skirt either side of the run, also to average the width of the Eglu run as it tappers.

Basic Eglu = 2m long * av. .975m wide = 1.95m grass area inside standard run

Basic Cube = 2m long * 1.2m wide = 2.4m grass area inside run

Therefore the basic cube has 23% more floor area than a basic eglu. BUT as the eglu is on the back of the run, not on top the Eglu actually needs more garden space as it is 0.8m longer and only 0.05m narrower than a cube.

Then with extension

Eglu + 1m (extension = 1.15m wide) = 3.1m grass area in run (54% more than the standard run, because it is all the same width as the widest part of the standard run).

Cube + 1m (extension, like cube all same width) = 3.6m grass area in run which is 50% more than basic Cube & 16% more grass area than an eglu & extension.

So in summary - yes the cube run is bigger, but an eglu with extension gives a larger run floor space than a cube without an extension.

I did consider both very seriously, personally for me the Cube was too high in the garden and too heavy for me to manage on my own so I went for an Eglu (which I love).

I hope that sorts out the exact differences in size comparison, as opposed the impression from photos.

Tracy

ChickFlick, are you still saying the Cube run has less run space than the Eglu one? I have both, and the Cube has more ground space, as shown mathematically above! And much more again, because the hens can get right up to the sides, which they can't do in the Eglu run.

I am buying a second Cube because my hens have to stay in nearly all the time (foxes), and the four in the Eglu don't have anything like as much room as the four in the Cube.

Ask my hens if you don't believe me :wink:

I agree that the Cube looks more utlitarian and dull than the Eglu: but it is this that makes it so much more practical.

I have to say I love the shape of the eglu and wouldn't swap mine for a cube. However I could squeeze one in ...

Having now spent time demonstrating the cube its growing on me, but the proportions feel wrong - the size of the cube in relation to the standard run just doesn't cut it for me. I would have to have at least one extension.

I also think the eglu would look better in a smaller garden - because it is lower its not so obtrusive.

On the other side of the coin, access and cleaning of the cube is easier - especially for older and disabled people.

My chickens don't do perching - and even my bantams don't go on their perches anymore, even though they 'grew up' with them - so the height in the cube run would be wasted on all my girls.

I agree that the Cube is better proportioned if it has one extension. And that makes it a really good size for hens which have to stay in all day.

My four have room to make a dustbath each in the Cube, whereas no hen I have ever had in the Eglu run has made a dustbath there: they would get stepped on.

There is something pleasant about having extra headroom even if they are not using it. It makes the run light and airy, and it stays light even if you put a cover on top. I go into both runs regularly, and I don't mind being in the Cube run at all.

I am a Cube convert, but I still like the Eglu as an objet d'art, and am not sure if I am going to be able to bring myself to sell it when my second Cube comes week. Perhaps I could use the Eglu for a couple of battery hens? Eight hens isn't really enough, is it?

I still like the Eglu as an objet d'art, and am not sure if I am going to be able to bring myself to sell it when my second Cube comes week. Perhaps I could use the Eglu for a couple of battery hens? Eight hens isn't really enough, is it?

Gallina, I think it's your duty to get more hens, battery or otherwise. Having spent all this money on two cubes and an eglu, surely you have to make the most of these assets? Wouldn't it just be a waste, otherwise?

I expect there is a law about it somewhere.

One thing I will add to this is that the Cube with standard run is advertised as suitable for up to six hens.

I would say that at best this is very optimistic.

Whilst the Cube will easily sleep ten I reckon the run is only suitable for about four especially if it is not moved around the lawn.

We had six in a standard run and they knocked seven bells out of each other presumably due to lack of space. I was coming home to a blood bath every other day. Strange that this didn't happen until we had had them for about 10 months though.

Since I built the new walk in run we have had no further problems.

Kev.

poachedegg- are you thinking of getting a cube :?::wink:

Just considering/weighing up the options regarding the additional space gain and the fact we only have a small garden - it probably wouldn't be until next Spring. (gotta save up and I only work when exams are on!!) I would quite like to rehome some ex-batts......so watch this space! :D