Christian

ATTACK?? Please Read & Help Me !!! - *PICS* UPADTE.

Sorry to hear about Baby, Scrambled.

You have done the best thing, brought her inside.

Make her comfortable and try and cleanse the wound with salty water/tea tree solution. Put her in a box with food and some water mixed with a little honey. The important thing is to keep her calm and avoid any loud noises etc. The shock is the problem.

Try and get her to drink something. Do you have any aconite (sp) from health food shops? It helps with shock. Arnica would also be good in case she has any bruising.

Once the wound is clean you could use savlon or any other antibacterial cream on her comb. It is important to keep her away from the others until the comb has healed.

Depending on how bad the torn comb is, she might need to see a vet.

Hope she is better soon.

A couple of drops to a mug of warm water. Too much and it will sting her. A cotton wool ball will be fine, just try and keep her calm when you are doing it. Maybe wrap her in a towel so she feels protected.

All the best.

Have to dash out now, but will be on later.

Someone will be along shortly, i'm sure :D

I got you Pm as I was answering the post. :wink:

The poos will be a reaction to the stress.

Place the towel on your knee and put her on it, then pull it up around her. Secure it with a safety pin if you are working alone.

Some frozen peas in a plastic bag, covered with a hanky to stop frost bite applied to the area every few minutes will help stop the bleeding and lessen the bruising.

You will need to keep her indoors for a couple of days to help her over the stress, and if you follow Christians advice she should improve.

If her comb has been bitten off by a fox, I would take her to the vet, as she may need antibiotics, as foxes mouths are full of disgusting bacteria and it is possible that the wound may get infected.

You need to borrow a rabbit hutch for her for when she is a little better and ready to go outside again, and it would be a good idea for you to beef up the security so that the fox can't grab another one in this way.

What a nasty experience for you.

Whilst she has such a nasty wound, It would certainly not be a good idea to put her back with the others.

To disguise the wound you could spray it with Gentian violet spray (sometimes called Purple Spray)..it bakes everything a dark indigo colour, and is mildly antiseptic too.

If you do put her back in, at least get some of this.

You could put her in the summer house in the hutch at night, and carry on letting her range about with the others in the netting until things have healed.

Gallina had a hen killed through the bars of the Eglu a long time ago. If the hen is fearless and put her head near the bars, a fox could have bitten the comb, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Well it's entirely up to you.

You said earlier that your dad wasn't experienced with hens though.

At the very least, use the purple spray, although if the comb is still hanging off, the other hens will be curious and may well still peck at it.

Is the sumer house secure? perhaps you could put her in a box in there with water, overnight, and you could let her out tomorrow ins sight of them, but separate, till things have healed.

When would I notice if she has an infection? How will I know that she's got one? Will her comb be pusy or will she not be eating/drinking or both?

Both probably Laura, there could also be swelling and maybe an unpleasant odour.

Fingers crossed that it won't happen.

It might be a good idea to catch her daily, examine the wound closely, and bathe it before reapplying the gentian violet.

Well she looks less bothered than you about the whole thing.

It will neither re-attach nor grow back.

It may heal and stay as it is if the blood supply is good enough, or the torn bit may darken and die off.

If it is still red and healthy looking in a couple of days, it should just heal up.