xChicken04x

When should we get Zara 'done'?

Hi guys, Zara the GSD pup is 5 and a half months now, she should have her first season pretty soon. As much as she would make a brilliant breeding dog, e.g her 'show' quality looks and her German father, we just don't have the time to breed from her :(. It's such as shame as people have been really keen to have pups from her next year, not that we offered, people just assume :?.

When would you clever lot advise us to get her spayed? I've read it is better to let her have her first season and get her spayed after that?

Any thoughts?

xx

Yes i agree, it is the best move to let her have her first season and then get her spayed. :D

Having just looked into this for my girl Poppy my vet advised that 8 to 12 weeks after their season has finished is the best time to operate as everything has settled down then and it makes it an easier op for them.

Make sure your girl is a healthy and isnt carrying too much weight, is fit and active and enjoying exercise and she should bounce back from the op really well. 8)

My vet was insisting on Cookie being done before her first season. In the end we thought she was coming into season and cancelled the booking. She had a terrible season, phantom pregnancy etc and took a time to get over the op. She is only now getting some weight on her. I wish I'd had her done before her first season but I was worried that it would be too early at the time.

My two girls were done before their first season they are now 12 and 9 and it hasnt affected their health in any way. The 'letting them have a season' is a bit of an old-fashioned idea and depends on the age of your vet, not your dog! :lol:

:clap: for getting her spayed, there are enough puppies needing homes as it is.

We have a guide dog pup Quita who is in season at the moment. The Guide dog people are really up with all their research into dog health as it's really important that when they invest all the time and money into training a dog that they stay healthy. I think that rules with them is that she will be done 3 months after her season finishes. Then she'll recover from the op with us and go off to training :cry: Luckily we will be getting a 6 1/2 week old pup around the same time - how cool for the kids always having a puppy around! :lol: