Moonie

Moving 2 yr old to a big bed ....

Advice please!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: Second night now of doing the supernanny thing where we just put him back without talking to him, he got so upset we gave him a second bottle of milk ... which we are trying to wean him off anyway :roll:

Bless he was so excited about the cot bars coming down too! :D

your just going to have to be cruel to be kind! My two eldest were no problem, made the change over without stress :D , ES only ever got out of bed once on the first night and didn't get out of bed again without permission until he was 5! MS also really good, but would join us in the morning for a cuddle. YS was a nightmare :twisted: and there was I thinking I had it cracked. He was a little older, 2years 4 months. We did the same as with the others, he helped his Dad take the sides off and got to choose his own big boy blanket for his big boy bed, and he went to bed perfectly the first night. One week later, still doing well and OH goes away, then the nightmare began. He would be out of bed before I even made it out of his room. I had to put him back into bed 27 times that night, at first I explained that we didn't get out, then that it was naughty and his brothers wanted to sleep and then just nothing, putting him back quietly - again and again and again! The only advice I can give you is to persevere and not give in (don't give him any more milk!) if you want him to go to bed and stay in bed. It took me a week of tears (his and mine!) but we eventually got there, and apart from the odd night we now have no problems. Being on line, looking at this website or netmums helped me to keep calm whilst dealing with him. Good luck - let me know how you get on!

iar fach goch is right - it is just perserverance :roll: My DD did really well, made the change over and loved it, she was 2 years and 2 months old. DS was another matter all together, he was 2 years and 3 months and hated it! He slept well enough just hated going to bed even though his routine never changed :roll: Keep going - just make sure you get the chance to relax and unwind. Chocolate and wine can do the trick! :wink: For you of course not your 2 year old :lol:

Thank you for the advice, I think he's now going to be ok, hes just gone down for his nap no problems!

Bronze, he is ready but he's just excited by the fact he can get out and spends his time giggling, so he's not traumatised by the bed just excited!

I just got my first double bed and lurrrvvve it!! The only thing is that my grandparents have to sleep in it when they come down on Thursday so my parents can sleep in their bed!! Ggggrrrr!! At least I get a nice new big bed out of it!! :D

Yay!! :D

Kitbag

I was heavily pregnant with second child and could not manage to put OS into cot (he was 20 months or so), so we opted for a mattress on the floor. Which worked better, and he loved it. except once down I needed help up.. :lol::lol::lol:

Youngest son was earlier out of his cot still by his ability at a year old to climb over the top and land with a thud on the flood, I do not joke! :shock: to this day we still dont know how he managed it and it makes me sick to my stomach at the thought of it.

But all worked out, they moved to their 'special floor beds' at respective times.

I didn't ever go for beds with side guards I just thought they were another thing mine would climb over and potentially hurt themselves. Then they moved to bunk beds, but kept as singles after I had a horrible feeling just after I bought them about one falling from the top... :roll::oops::roll:

Now they are in doubles each at 11 and almost 13. just as well the way they move around the bed.

Stick with it, it does work out right in the end, perseverence is the key. :wink:

Eeeeek after reading this I think I should have put my youngest in a bed already. She's nearly 19 months and still in her cot bed but all my others went into proper beds at a year and were fine. I wasn't planning on moving her out yet because she shares a room with DD who is 4 and has a midi-sleeper. I didn't want her climbing up there in the morning but by the sounds of it she'd be up there at bed time too.

I did the stairgate thing too Bron, otherwise they are in your bed every night.

The best thing it not to make too much fuss, just put them silently back to bed.

I used to nanny for 3 boys (very close in age) and sometimes used to go on holiday with them - it was their treat to bundle into my bed in the morning for a cuddle, there was usually already at least one in there anyway. the parents were close friends of mine. All 3 are now grown up and one has just got engaged. (this was 20 years ago)

Youngest son was earlier out of his cot still by his ability at a year old to climb over the top and land with a thud on the flood, I do not joke! :shock: to this day we still dont know how he managed it and it makes me sick to my stomach at the thought of it.

:wink:

Our ED did this too we went into her room when she was 18 months old and she was rocking over the edge on her tummy turned her head when she saw us and over balanced landing with a thud on her head :shock: We decided that we had better put her in a big bed. She chose her own Winnie The Pooh duvet cover and we put the cot mattress on the floor and a soft chair by the bed to help her get in and out.

She would go to bed great but turned up in our bed most nights at some point, we just quietly took her back after a cuddle.

YD was a nightmare, she couldn't get out of her room because the door k"Ooops, word censored!" was too large for her little hands but she would lie by the door and go to sleep there and it was really difficult to get in to put her in bed, she did this for a couple of years on and off. She still doesn't really sleep well now.