parmaviolet

Frozen water

With all this talk on the forum of people caressing vaseline into their girls' combs and giving them warm porridge etc. for breakfast, giving them hot water bottles in the eglu and electric fans in the run, I feel like I'm being really mean!

I have started bringing the food and water in at night which means I can fill them up fresh and warm in the comfort of the house without having to thaw ice and freeze my fingers!

I am crossing my fingers that the next time I go away for the night, it will not be frosty (the neighbours are less keen to go down to the bottom of my garden when it is freezing cold, especially as I can't reward them with eggs yet - on that subject, does anyone know of a good way to 'erase' the red lion off shop-bought eggs?)

I think that my girls have not quite got all the way into 'pet' category yet - does this change when they lay eggs? Will I want to treat them more?

Jim

I wouldn't worry about it Jim..

the "normal" way of keeping chickens is not for them to be like pets...

8)

I don't do the vaseline thing, and the electric fan was a joke... as for little hot water bottles and warm porridge... I can't see that ever happening in my household..

they don't need to be pets - (it's more of a human need rather than a chicken-need) - as long as they are well looked after, they are quite happy being well-fed egg-laying machines.

Phil

you can buy water bottles from petshops with a bottle snug jacket that keeps the water from freezing - provided that you keep the water out of the windchill, I do this by ensuring that the wind cover is pulled down over it. Its really effective and given time, I find my chucks are drinking from it.

I should have said that I think my chucks are using it - have not actually seen them use it but the drip of water sits at the bottom of the bottle tube quite nicely and the water definately goes down from day to day. Its worth a try

Hello All

I'm bumping this up again as have just been out and the girls water has frozen solid!!! It got down to -4 last night and now i'm really concerned as I am away overnight with work 1-2-3 times a week.

Does anyone have any good ideas to protect the water from freezing?? I put citricidal in last night but no good!!! There were cute little beak marks in the ice though - bless.

Christian x x x

Well Jim Parmaviolet who first started this topic says a couple of drops to the peanut should stop it freezing............But the water in my chooks drinker froze overnight and I had added 2 drops, so think I might try adding 3 drops. Not sure if it is safe to add more maybe somebody else will know.

they won't drink it if you put too much citricadel in as it tastes horrid. My water froze despite having some in.

Ice-free2.JPG

link here

Its expensive, so I'd only ever use it if I wasn't around to take their water in and put it out in the morning again, but I've got one just in case.

I wonder if I could buy this in the shops anywhere....we are going away in the caravan for a couple of nights this weekend and this would be a good idea.

Ice-free2.JPG

link here

Its expensive, so I'd only ever use it if I wasn't around to take their water in and put it out in the morning again, but I've got one just in case.

Wow this looks ideal! Thanks for posting it. We're away over Christmas and I've been really worried about their water, so this will make a real difference. The water was frozen over this morning, and it's only October! :shock:

:talk2hand: Just before you rush out to buy some.....

I used some of the Ice Free in my bird baths last winter and it did work to some extent when it was very cold. The water didn't freeze entirely (but it was nowhere near Ice Free) and it did look a bit like a birdie slush puppie :roll: . Not good for the 'little birds' to bathe in but would be just about drinkable I think. It did thaw out completely when a bit of sun got onto the baths later in the morning. Just thought I'd mention it before you all spend lots of money on it. Plus you have to use quite a bit to keep it pretty much ice free which would be cost prohibitive and maybe would make it taste funny?

:idea: I wonder if some bubble wrap held round the glug or super glug might be just as effective and much cheaper? If you made a little 'lid' for a normal size glug you could clip it up to the pen with a peg during the day and flip it down at night.

Sammi needn't worry about questions - nowadays someone always has a posting with my question already! :) I like the idea of the anti-freeze, it's £5.99 from CJ Wildbirdfoods plus postage £1.99 (postage is free with orders over £50).

My girls always use the treated water, specially and lovingly prepared by me, as a last possible resort. They got the hump when they found out the grotty stuff had frozen over and went back down the garden to the nice drinker! :D

Here's the link for anyone interested:

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/products.php?area_id=2&nav_id=43

I think I read somewhere you could add glycerine to their water to stop it freezing? Only a small amount! Is this correct?

I had to break the ice this morning, it's October!! :shock::shock:

I am sure that someone (Louise)? worked out how much glycerine you would need to stop the glug freezing and it worked out at dangerous levels for birds to drink.

I now use ping pong balls in the glugs and the hens peck at them to break the ice if I am away. When I am here, a jug of hot water in the morning solves the problem.