stoice

Rescue dog that's ok with chooks? With the hours I work too?

OH and I have always wanted a dog.

However, I work 8-4 weekdays (With travelling though I'm away from the house 7-5) and my OH works shifts, 5 days on, 5 days off. So we are fairly convinced that it'd be unfair to have a dog as it'd be home alone for too long. Even if it meant rescuing another dog as a companion and with access to our garden all day. So he contacted a place that lets people foster dogs for short term (A few days, a week etc) or just walk them to get them out for the day as this could fit into the days off in my OHs shift pattern.

But to our surprise when OH called the rescue centre they weren't put off by the hours we do. I'm not sure if it's desperation and the prospect of a home for a poor pooch or if it's really possible. They said they would get back to us if they find a dog suitable.

What do you guys think?

Is it fair on the dog?

If we can have a dog I don't care what breed it is as long as it's not too big I can't walk it and it's ok with my chooks. (This could complicate things eh?) What breeds in general would be best around other animals? (I appreciate every dog is different but as a guide) The girls will be in their pen and safe but I wouldn't want to antagonise (sp?) the girls or the dog if an obsession arises.

Thanks for your advice

Stacey

Hi, I'm not sure about the work hours as I have never had this problem, but I'm sure the rescue centre wouldn't let you have one of their dogs if they thought it was unfair?

Breed wise, it's difficult. When we chose Zara (our German Shepherd pup) I described the kind of dog I wanted: Easy to train, very loyal, protective (as I'm by my self pretty much all day I sometimes feel vulnerable :oops:), doesn't need much exercise etc. Pretty much everyone suggested a German Shepherd. I said no way, too big and dangerous. I feel embarrassed for saying that now! I got to know the breed and realised how perfect they are for me, ticked all the boxes.

I would write down everything you would want from a dog and try and come up with a ideal breeds, although I do hasten to add that rescue centers won't always have your chosen breed and quite a few of the dogs are cross breeds (although that isn't a bad thing).

I have a book of different dog breeds, if you list some of the qualities in a dog you would like I'll look in the book to see if there are any matches.

Good luck!

I guess it all depends on the individual dog. We had never thought we would be able to rehome a dog due to the hours we work, but when we asked about a particular dog we were pleasantly surprised. The dog in question (Tyson) was part lab and over 5 years old - not energetic (at times quite lazy) and well known to the rescue as had come in as stray 3 times from owner who was now giving it up. The rescue knew quite a lot about the dog's temprement from the owner and about the fact the dog was often left alone for extended periods (much longer than a working day); happily they also knew he had grown up with cats and children (both of which we have) and was good with both. Being satisfied that we had a good match, rather than just a desperate off-loading of a hard to home dog was important for us, so I can understand your concern. If I were you I would ask a lot of questions about what kind of dog they think would be OK in your circumstances to ensure that the decision to home a dog with you is for the right reasons and will give the best outcome for you and the dog.

Good luck with it - it has worked for us and Tyson is now a very elderly, sleepy, slightly deaf, slightly blind, slightly demented, and slightly lame old dog who has given us wonderful years of happiness and will be sadly missed by us all when he passes on (which I suspect will be sooner rather than later). I think it all came down to him being the right dog for us and I am sure that there is the right dog out there for you too. I fully understand why many rescues do not like to home a dog to a house where people are out full-time at work, but there needs to be some flexibility for individual dogs who would cope and thrive in such circumstances - I hope that you have found a rescue who see the sense in this, rather than one who is simply desperate to rehome to whoever, regardless of circumstance. By your very concern, you sound like someone who would give a marvellous home to a lucky dog.

We have 2 rescue dogs both get on really well with the chickens :D

The dogs are totally different to each other, but I have no idea what breed they are, as lots of rescue dogs are of dubious parentage :lol: But some breeds have rescue kennels just for a certain type, as a friend of mine had her name down for a rescue boxer for a very long time, but they got her eventually :D

Have a think about what you would like from a dog, and I'm sure you will find one or it will find you when you start looking :D

Karen x

It's not really feasible at the moment with the hours you work, I would think. Rescue dogs can be very clingy and prone to separation anxiety, and you could end up with lots of problems. You might not - but you could. And on a practical note, how would the dog go to the toilet? Most dogs can't hold themselves for eight hours, and it's not really fair to expect them to. You could do it if you had help during the day, though - have you looked into dogwalking services in your area?

I agree with Victoriabunny.

For dogs to have a good, sane life they do need to have somebody around for a good part of the day. They are pack animals and do need company otherwise they start to display abnormal and stressful behaviour.

My dog is happy to be left for up to 6 hours during the day but that's because it is a one-off and not the norm. For a dog to be left alone on a regular basis for long lengths of time is not good.

If you are prepared to get up really early and walk, exercise the dog and it is an older dog then it could work. My daughter and her fiance work all day but they have one of our older female dogs , she is 10 and there is not a problem cos older dogs like to sleep a lot anyway and soon get into a routine. As long as you dont expect the dog to do 10 miles at the weekend.. There are lots of boredom breaker toys on the market as well.Border collies seem to not mind chooks at all and even our strong working dogs now accept our chooks after 2 weeks but then they all know that leave means leave.........

My thoughts were like Gamebird, Victoriabunny and smudgely. This is why we had initially only 'put in' for a foster position where we could walk any dogs not doing well in kennels on a day-to-day basis or look after them for about a week for a break. It was only that the kennels have put the possibility into our heads that we could OWN one (Or two for their own company) I think maybe they think that a dog alone in their kennels 22 hours a day would be worse. As much as we've always wanted a dog I think it should wait until i get a job closer to home where i can come back at lunchtime at the very least. (I was thinking of rescuing a lovely lazy old greyhound) We have a barn door on the garage that attaches to the house so they'd have access to the garden all day for loo breaks (With chooks in their run) but I'd be worried the girls would be too tempting a distraction while we were out.

Thanks for all your opinions.

I'll let you know what the kennels say when they get back to us.

Good luck with it all. I wish everyone who got a dog was so thoughtful about pros and cons - if so, there would be far less needing rehomed! Although it has worked out OK for our old rescue dog to be alone 6 hours per day, we have had to go through similar thoughts to you for what happens when the old guy dies and we decide to get another dog. We have decided that probably we would wait a couple of years till my son and daughter are older and in position to drop in at lunch time from school to spend time with it (the school is very close).

Just thought I'd update you all on what has happenened over the last few days. I'm so excited. My OH and I are now foster carers for a staffie x lurcher called Gina. We had a home check - a lovely lady called natalie brought round her three lovely dogs to assess how well we cope and react to different dogs - WE PASSED! (she brought a lovely black lab, a nervous husky cross and a bouncy Irish wolf hound 14wk old pup - SO CUTE) they had different reactions to our chooks who weren't overly impressed TBH, but then again they reacted the same to the neighbours cats until they got used to them. We're picking Gina up today and will have her over xmas and up until a permanent home can be found for her. In the mean time she needs to be observed as to how she reacts to cats, children, other dogs (and chooks!) to help build up her profile to help her get re-homed. We will also continue with training and have lots of lovely walks and cuddles. We'll be a little sad to see her go but then we'd get another dog to foster and give love to instead of being in a kennel. We looked closely at my working hours and OH shift pattern and found that there would be only two days where she would be left for about 10 hours so during this time we have a friend who lives nearby who will pop in for 'walkiies' or if she is unavailable then a dog walker we were recommended only charges £10 for a nice hour long walk so it should work out ok. Not exactly ideal for a permanent addition to our household but MILES better than being stuck in a kennel until they are re-homed for good.

You can see Gina here ... http://www.prodogsdirect.org.uk/gina.htm

So excited.

(Oh and I mentioned it to my friend the other day, who just so happens to work for BBC Essex, now somehow I'm being 'interviewed' live on air 9am monday morning about the charity I'm doing this through (Pro Dogs Direct). SO nervous - I've never owned a dog before and now I'll have to sound all knowledgeable on the subject. Now, if it were chickens...

How exciting :D . Gina looks adorable :D . Sounds like the best of both worlds (although it'll be hard to let her go, but as you say you'll have another needy doggie to look after!)

Riley is a rescue dog we got from the cat and dog home when my boys were 6 and 8. I didn't work at that point so was at home with him almost all the time. After a couple of years I then went back to work and now work from 8.30 to 4.00 3 days a week (but not school holidays).

We did worry about the impact of this new routine on Riley but TBH he has coped remarkably well. OH takes him out in the mornings and he usually gets a walk when I get home. The days I don't work and the weekends, he gets lots of lovely walks.

When he's left in the house the days I work, he makes himself comfortable on YS's or our bed :roll: and has never had a problem with boredom or weeing/pooing in the house. He seems quite happy to sleep or watch the world go by from the living room window.

He is fine with the chickens. In fact, he's scared of them :roll: .

Good luck with your new addition - what a lovely Christmas treat :D .

Oh, and good luck with your moment of fame :clap::clap: . Hope we can listen to it too :wink: .

congratulations :) what a great start to Christmas.

In an ideal world, maybe you wouldn't leave a dog alone for long, but in an ideal world I wouldn't have to keep my chickens in the run all week ... it sounds like you have the right arrangements in place for when you're out all day.

I'm sure Gina will love having a home, and you will be able to make sure that she is matched to the right owner in the long term.

Thanks for the update and am so pleased for you and especially for the lovely Gina who gets to have Christmas outside of kennels. :D

Its good too that you can get a dog walker around on your work days to break the day up. Well done to you for giving a rescue dog another chance :clap: , just wish a lot more of the poor little mites could be in a loving home for Christmas. :(

Update again!

Gina has spent a lovely Christmas with us. So much better than kennels for her. She loves her chew toy (Demolished one kong toy in one week - a hexagonal thing that is good for her teeth, so will try to find another 'staffie proof' toy (Not sure they exist!)) and loves to play tug of war with her rope toy. A little worried by her tendency to 'kill' her rope once she wins it from me - can't help thinking she'd like it to be one of my chooks. Talking of my chooks - they are NOT impressed by this bouncy four legged intruder onto their 'patch' and tell her so at every opportunity. This then only excites her more as they flap about and squawk, if they are quiet she soon looses interest when a treat is waved under her nose. She needs a lot of training but considering the start in life she has had she is doing very well. She loves everyone and although boisterous and bouncy gets on well with other dogs we have met on walks too. Yesterday we took her to meet our friends dog - a HUGE 8 month old GSD training to be a police dog. They got on really well although not very daintily!! Paws and tumbles a-plenty. She likes to be brushed, especially her belly and is really good in the car too. We also took her to Maldon mud race and she behaved really well. Considering the crazy amount of people and other dogs there were she was remarkably well behaved. (And much admired)

I did my radio interview about her too shameless link

(Click on on 'Download link' to listen to it if you like)

VERY weird hearing your voice back on the radio (I sound much older) but the news back from Pro Dogs Direct is that they had at least three people interested in re-homing a dog because of the interview so it was well worth it.

Plus I think I've managed to LOOSE weight over Christmas by giving her three walks a day. Bargain.

She's lovely. Very tempted to keep her but we think that she'd benefit from someone who can devote more time to her over her whole life and train her up to be a more polished version of the crackin' little dog she is.

I’ve just listened to your radio broadcast and I am most impressed. :D

Lucky Gina to have found such a caring foster mum. Even if you don’t keep her you are giving her an excellent chance of being rehomed because she will be used to all sorts of situations.

I think the arrangements you have made for her whilst you are at work are great and as she is an older dog she will probably be happy to settle down to sleep while you are away.

Looking forward to regular updates on Gina’s progress. :D