Martin B Posted August 26, 2006 Share Posted August 26, 2006 Wow! Would love to see some pictures if possible! --Martin-- Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cate in NZ Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 Lesley, I'm continually amazed, and in awe of your achievements You and Carl have done so much this year it's incredible. Turkeys Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 I couldn't think how to word it Emma - I know you haven't converted I always had Nut Roast - I love it with all the trimmings, home made Cranberry Sauce especially. Lesley you would have a real challenge on your hands trying to convert me back I must say as a vegetarian i dont like veg too much and i really cant stand nut roast!!! but i would love the recipe for your cranberry sauce! Did you manage to eventually find the stream? I bet your grandchildren will be playing pooh sticks in it soon! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 27, 2006 Author Share Posted August 27, 2006 As a ('mostly now') vegetarian, I don't like salad Always difficult when eating out because restaurants presume that as a vegetarian you have to like pasta in tomato sauce - but called by a fancy name - raw peppers and salad. If it's Christmas time, they can also charge you the same price as someone eating half a duck . I always said I could never be converted back - and to an extent, it's true - but producing our own meat changed the way I felt. I now just have problems with people who can't see why I don't eat meat when I'm out We're shattered after yesterday, and Jazz is on a new diet and we were up in the night as she had an accident in her sleeping area - the first since we have had her. We didn't find the stream yesterday - Carl just didn't have the time. Perhaps today???............ Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 As a ('mostly now') vegetarian, I don't like salad Always difficult when eating out because restaurants presume that as a vegetarian you have to like pasta in tomato sauce - but called by a fancy name - raw peppers and salad. If it's Christmas time, they can also charge you the same price as someone eating half a duck . We're shattered after yesterday, and Jazz is on a new diet and we were up in the night as she had an accident in her sleeping area - the first since we have had her. I must say i do love pasta, salad & raw peppers!! Each to their own here i think!! One of my relatives suggested eating out this Christmas but having done it 2 years ago & was served a mushroom mush swimming in grease i put my little size 4 foot down & said we were eating at home with good food! I have posted something in the raw meaty bones section about Jazz Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 27, 2006 Author Share Posted August 27, 2006 When I say "bodge a temporary shelter", that's exactly what I meant! Carl's new bed??? 12 Dinners Turkey Lurkey New Home Ugly little things aren't they? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karen & co. Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 Is that Carl in the dog (or should that be turkey) house?!!! karen x Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 Oh Lesley how could you leave Carl to sleep outside last night the weather was terrible - you could have at least let him sleep in the barn with the cows! The turkeys look too cute! Can you keep turkeys as pets in your garden in a urban area?? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 27, 2006 Author Share Posted August 27, 2006 (edited) Is that Carl in the dog (or should that be turkey) house?!!! karen x Yes, it is - he says it's very comfortable Edited August 27, 2006 by Guest Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karen & co. Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 A friend from primary school used to live on a turkey farm not quite battery but not free range either but I used to love the little warbling noise the young ones made when you went to them! It got a bit louder as they grew karen x Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 27, 2006 Author Share Posted August 27, 2006 (edited) They do make a very strange noise at the moment - I don't know how loud they would sound in an urban garden when they are fully grown? I love the sound of turkeys Edited August 27, 2006 by Guest Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 27, 2006 Author Share Posted August 27, 2006 Oh Lesley how could you leave Carl to sleep outside last night the weather was terrible - you could have at least let him sleep in the barn with the cows! He said the cows snore Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 Oh Lesley how could you leave Carl to sleep outside last night the weather was terrible - you could have at least let him sleep in the barn with the cows! He said the cows snore The cows told me something different!! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 27, 2006 Author Share Posted August 27, 2006 - Carl doesn't snore - only when he's been drinking! Oh! that explains it then! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AnnieP Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 Ugly little things aren't they? Yep...and they'll soon be even uglier big ginormous things! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cate in NZ Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 I do agree. I don't really like turkeys very much.... too big and ugly for me I find them a bit intimidating, although not as scary as geese though Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Paola Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 I think the turkeys are cute Not sure I will be saying the same when they are fully grown Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AnnieP Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 I think when they're fully grown, the thing to say is....Yum!! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 I am not keen on Turkey to eat. Goose however........ *drool* Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Martin B Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 Wow he shelter looks good, not as good as an eglu though! Good Luck with the stream finding! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 Love the picture of Carl face down in the turkey shelter! Shall I bring my machete and chainsaw next time I'm over? We'll find that stream - I remember roughly where it was..... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Martin B Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 I hope you have a license Clare! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted August 27, 2006 Share Posted August 27, 2006 Great pictures - do keep us updated with their progress (right up til roasting point ) The Hubby is a great water finder,sourcing a well a few years ago that has kept the garden pretty well supplied this year Now, if he could find oil.............. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted August 28, 2006 Author Share Posted August 28, 2006 I am not keen on Turkey to eat.Goose however........ *drool* Ah! but turkey grown slowly - should be a different beast to the white pap that is usually on offer. I can't remeber the last turkey I ate - probably about 30 years ago? I have to ask other people to taste test our dinners as i have nothing to compare it with. Bacon is different - the last bacon i ate before becoming veggie was from Marks and Spencer - circa 1980 - it tasted of fish That is what tipped the scales for me. The pigs had so obviously been fed fish meal and I decided to not eat meat or fish again. Finding oil would be good I really must start a blog and stop tying up forum space - I just don't have the time at the moment Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Trish Posted August 28, 2006 Share Posted August 28, 2006 You can have all the forum space you need for me Lesley, here is a great way to keep up with all you are up to. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...