Guest Penguinmad

Dog advice...

Definately NOT fostering. I can hear the tears now from Mum and James when they had to go back!

We are looking for a long term family pet, also as I said our cats are elderly so we would only want to introduce a real youngster to this existing set up - Mums cat Poppy is stone deaf, half blind and very much TOP CAT, she would not take kindly to a dog trying to stamp his mark on her.

We've none of us had a dog in my lifetime as our lifestyles havn't allowed for it - I would love for James to have that companionship as he grows up and with Mum retired the timing is good - he is old enough to help out a little but young enough to grow up with this dog. The cats aren't a lot of fun for him - wonderful as my Honey is laying on my arm right now making it hard to type. Also the cats are pre-James so their allegances were firmly formed before he arrived home.

Oh and we are not short of room or walks, you cross the road in front to open fields, James's school is one mile away so another nice walk - oh and theres walking to the boot sale on a Sunday in the summer, hedgerowing along the bridle path and all those things we should enjoy more of!

After a lot of breed searching we finally settled on the breed which matched my other halfs criteria of knee height, bouncy and fun = Springer Spaniel.

We have not had one moment of regret as he has been a fantastic, constantly entertaining, loving dog from day 1.

Yes he can run all day if given the chance but once he has a walk of decent length he tends to collapse and sleep and I wouldn't say he requires an extraordinary amount of exercise compared to any other dog!

We have made sure that he went to pup training as soon as he was old enough.

I can understand wanting to get a puppy. We got a resue dog that was about 18months and he was lovely but very energetic, did wees in the house and was car sick. Plus my sisters were only toddlers so it was a bit much really as my mum didn't have the time to sort out his problems.So we ended up taking him back to the kennels. We have since heard that he has been rehomed on a farm where he can run to his hearts content and not have to go in a car to often so it was the best thing for everyone.

We then went to our local animal resue place and they had a dog in that was expecting puppies so we put our name down for one of those. The mum was a heinz 57 and we have no idea what the dad was. When they were born we chose which one we wanted out of the ones that were left not knowing what size or shape she was going to grow into. She has grown to the perfect size for us really-not too big(so she can't pull any of us over) but not to small )so we need to pick her up to lift her in the car etc.)

Getting a puppy was the best thing for us as then we were able to train her how we wanted so its our fault that she barks at cats and chases rabbits. When we first got her she did bark in the night and dad threatened to move out!! She has turned into a lovely dog though and we wouldn't change her for anything.

I also have to disagree about the pedigre/crossbreed thing. If trained and handled well then i think any dog can be a great family dog. A local dog trainer writes an article in our local paper and when those rottweilers (sp) were in the news after they attacked the postman he wrote an interesting article about breeds that have a bad reputation for being aggressive/dangerous ie rottweilers. As if trained in the right way they can be really nice dogs. My mum doesn't like german shepherds purely because they are often used as police dogs to be used to catch people. However i don't agree because those german shepherds have been trained to catch people/sniff people out so its their job and they are good at it. If you had a german shepherd as a pet it would be a completly different matter because they are loyal dogs but could obviously be dangerous as could any dog.

My sisters friend has just got a 6 month brown lab. They got it from a breeder and they sold it because they decided they didn't want to breed from her so found her a new home.She is a great dog:fullly housetrained, walks well on the lead and great with people.This could be an option as then some of the hard work of inital training has been done.

I hope you find something useful in my rambling, i definately agree about getting a puppy but maybe look at getting a crossbreed puppy or a younger dog from a specific breed rescue/breeder.

Let us know how you get on

Emma

As if trained in the right way they can be really nice dogs. My mum doesn't like german shepherds purely because they are often used as police dogs to be used to catch people. However i don't agree because those german shepherds have been trained to catch people/sniff people out so its their job and they are good at it. If you had a german shepherd as a pet it would be a completly different matter because they are loyal dogs but could obviously be dangerous as could any dog.

Sorry I can't help it, I have to clarify what Sunshine has said- regarding the German Shepherds.

Whilst I understand police dogs are dangerous on command, I would just like to say that pet Shepherds are fantastic dogs. So long as they have the correct socialization, they are the best type of dog you can own IMO.

My Zara's Dad is a working police dog in Germany, he chases criminals and catches them, Zara's Mum is just a pet. We have had absolutely no problems with aggression, the only time she has growled is when I was met with an intimidating bloke at my front door, Zara could sense I was uncomfortable and growled.

Other than that she has been brilliant, I couldn't sing her praises highly enough. She has been a dream to train, incredibly loyal and generally just fantastic.

I'll try to get some video's for you so you can see for your self how lovely she is. Here are a few pics in the meantime.

zara7months045.jpg

zara7months046.jpg

Zara004-1.jpg

Oh and thank you Sunshine for sticking up for this wonderful breed. There is no such thing as a bad breed in my book, just bad owners.

xChicken04x what a gorgeous dog :D

Ive been brought up with borders collies who can be neurotic and need lots of exercise but have the most fantastic nature and I've never met one who wasnt fantastic with other animals.

My Skye who although either super intelligent or very dim has the most fantastic nature and has accepted a number of different pets into our household with no issues.

My mum has a rescued Collie x german shepherd who looks like a german shepherd but is collie sized who again has the most fantastic nature

However I would echo the others who have said take your time and research and try to have a look around and see some different breeds that you might like.

My friend Jude has 3 GSDs and they are the softest and loveliest dogs imaginable - I would trust them with any child too.

I was brought up with my grandparents' working spaniels, both springer and cocker; they were very well trained and obedient. I have always had mutts myself and have a soft spot for lurchers as I just love the sight hound mentality..... they are nutty as heck when they are young and laid back when older.

One thing I can't stress enough is that you have to put in a lot of training and hard work when they are young to reap the rewards when they are older. You can expect crying through the night for the first few days, and puddles (or worse :lol: ) while they learn house training, but the hard work and consistency works, you have to train the whole family so that you all give the same signals and the dog learns who is in charge. It is very important to be dominant in your dog's pack or you will have a house which is ruled by a disobedient and wilful dog... just like teenagers really :wink:

We have 10 border collies that all live in the house. It is not true that they need loads of exercise. Ours are free run everyday for about an hour in a field. What they do need is mental stimulation and ours are all trained in various disclplines either agility, obedience, flyball or sheepworking they are also shown in breed. if you over exercise BCs you end up with fit, frantic weedy dogs...... If you look at my collietalk spaces link you will see pictures of my dogs. See the ones of them in the evening, we have a settee that can fit them all on, and me as well lol Sue xx

Ive been watching the dog whisperer (is that you claret?? :D ) he says exactly that.

he says that you need to be "pack leader" not "frightened human" or you will end up with hell for home.

in tonights programme, there was this woman who had put the dog higher than her own daughter :shock: , so consequently, the dog used to bite the daughter :shock: , it took him about 10 minutes (of the programme) to sort out the "pecking order" and all was well :D

obvious really, but amazing to watch :D

cathy

x

I had a GSD as a child a rescue dog as well, couldn't have met a nicer dog! :D

We had a rescue GSD and now we have Bracken our GSD we had from a pup. The rescue GSD was so laid back, she would lick you to death if you let her, and she was exceptionally good with children.

They are beautiful dogs, extremely loyal and intelligent. I wouldnt own anything else! :D

Ive been watching the dog whisperer (is that you claret?? :D ) he says exactly that.

he says that you need to be "pack leader" not "frightened human" or you will end up with hell for home.

in tonights programme, there was this woman who had put the dog higher than her own daughter :shock: , so consequently, the dog used to bite the daughter :shock: , it took him about 10 minutes (of the programme) to sort out the "pecking order" and all was well :D

cathy

x

That bloke is amazing, but also they do pick total numpty dog owners that always make him look good, like the twit who didn't realise dogs needed exercise, and the woman who slept with her dog on the bed and her husband in the spare room :roll:

I'm very much into Pack Politics with my 3 dogs, they don't use the furniture, go through a door ahead of me or eat their food until I say its ok. I think having a disrespectful dog is as unpleasant as having a bad mannered rude child around. And if I'm totally honest I can really see why Rescue Centres turn away so many people!

Back On Topic, to use the Dog Whisperer as a good example, he always takes the breed's nature into account but expects the same levels of respect and deference from a Chihuaha (sp?) or a Dobermann. You can get certain predictables from choosing a specific breed (lazy Greyhounds, energetic Springers, calm Great Danes) but fundamentally whether the dog is good with children, other pets, new situations, visitors is down to you as an owner and Alpha of the pack.

cathy

x

I've heard of him Cathy and watched a couple of clips on the interweb (don't have satellite TV here) and he has some good points but is a bit show-bizzy for my liking. I do just that though - get her down on the floor and on her back, with me straddling her..... just like top dog in a pack would do..... works well. The hard part is getting Rosie to do it as she doesn't want to hurt Ruby (it doesn't hurt anything but their pride), but Rosie is confident enough now to know when to do it and does. She is very bright so training is hard; she'll do something once or twice, then thinks that she's had enough 'amusing' me and wanders off to do something else! :lol::lol:

I lurve lurchers, but they are a real challenge.

Catching up again!

I've never met a GSD I didn't like or have though vaguely viscious (sp). I know someone who had a snappy one but they were aware that it had been mistreated by a previous owner, hence the snappyness. Having said all that it's not a breed I feel a strong liking for.

I'm leaning again towards the border collie, the only dog I've never owned (bear with me here I'm into the Chardonnay!) was a border collie. When I was growing up we lived on a new estate, we moved there when I was 2 years old and our was one of the first houses to be built. Consequently I grew up playing on the building site that was the rest of the estate. Mum always knew I was safe because I had Whiskey with me, Whiskey was a border collie that belonged to a neighbor and followed me everywhere. This was years before the days of "elf and safety" or not letting kids out on their own. All of us kids used to play in the half built houses!!!! I loved that dog though - they GAVE him away when they had a baby as they were worried about him around a baby - jeez he was with me from when I was about 2 every time I left the house!!!

Mum is saying we should wait 'till August when I am off for 6 weeks BUT as I pointed out to her today we are actually away for the middle 2 weeks of August so if we got a dog right when we got back it would only have me home for 2 weeks. Mum of couse is retired and anyway even myself and James aren't doing stupid hours out of the house, I leave at 7.30 and am often home by 4pm with James. I know there is a breeder locally with a litter. My mate even knows someone who looks after dogs in their own home for holidays.....

As for the other animals, I don't think the eldest cat will be around for very long, just before our holiday Mum took her to the vet thinking it was going to be a one way trip, she is still having problems and when Mum took her to the vet yesterday I thought she wouldnt' be coming home for long, she is having some more tests. Only firm decision is that Mum will pay for the vet to come here and do it if it needs to be done, rather than stress the cat out with the trip to the vets.

Border collies are lovely Pengy - my last lurcher had BC in her. They are very intelligent so need working a lot, by that I mean they need to use their minds with training or they will get disruptive and bored. At least two good walks a day and letting out in between, constant training when walking, especially when they are a puppy. They are brilliant to train for agility work and absolutely love it. So they key is to keep them mentally worked.