FORENSICA

Cat behaves odd when baby cries

Hi,

we had our baby at home for 10 days now. She does not cry often, but when she does, Asterix (Burmese cat) gets very stressed.

What he does is that he would attack the other cat Obelix, bite his neck and try to drag him away from the noisy baby. We think that is very strange and are a bit worried that he might actually do that to the baby if left unattended. When I walk with crying Kristina, he would follow me and meow like mad.

He is otherwise very sweet cat, the ones who know Burmese would know. But this is just strange. Obelix does not care about the noise at all.

Does anybody have a similar experience? Could that be some odd instinct behaviour?

It could be - don't forget that Kristina's arrival will have upset the 'pecking order' in his household, so he may well be feeling insecure and this might explain his odd behaviour - perhaps he is trying to ensure he is the dominant of your two moggies. A newborn baby's cry must sound not unlike a kitten calling, certainly my own cat was always there very quickly whenever either baby cried. Also your own scent will have been altered during pregnancy and again now that you have given birth, which he might be disturbed by.

When my DSs were born our cat was very clingy towards them, would sit all night by their cots and wake me up every time they stirred. She also defied cat nets to ensure she had slept in their big cot long before they were old enough to sleep there themselves - but with DS2 we didn't bother with the net and she slept there once or twice, then never again. She never ever tried to get in with either baby but was often close by when they were asleep.

In my experience the cat never ever tried to harm either baby, she was very maternal towards them, even though her place in the order of things was well and truly taken and she lost a lot of lap time and attention as a result. However she remained very affectionate towards both boys until the day she died.

I hope your cat settles soon - perhaps some regular, if brief, attention from you, in a certain room that he can learn to associate with 'his' time, might help him feel secure again?

Hi Veronika,

IMHO Burmese are very people orientated animals....more like dogs....and pick up on moods etc. I would say he is just showing his concern for a very new family member and warning your other cat that he will not tolerate any nonsense. Burmese are incredibly intelligent and don't look on their humans as mere meal tickets. I don't think for one minute he would harm kristina. In time, it would be my guess, he will learn to distinguish between her different sorts of cries, (hunger, pain etc) and will settle down.

Jackiex

ps How did the tshirt testing go?

I think you are both right.

He is very people oriented and cautiously approaches Kristina. I am fairly happy to leave him with Kristina when she is quiet, but when she cries I would not risk it. Actually when she cries, we are always around obviously anyway.

We have the cat net over Moses basket, just in case for night.

I would have never imagined that he would do anything to her, but once I had her on my lap and he had this terribly wild eyes and tried to reach her by his paw. But perhaps it is as you say, he was probably more concerned then trying to attack her. I will be cautious but try to relax about it.

Jackie - I have managed all examination of all the tops I received before the birth which was lucky :-).. It was loads of work, but I have found some stuff which will give me something to talk about..To be honest, I was surprised that some tops were totally boring and some had so much odd stuff on them which I would not expect. I am actually being slightly pressured to finish my write up this year, even though being at home with baby, since the findings are rather important. Thanks so much for being part of it!

My oscar, whose mummy was a moggy but whose father we are pretty sure was a passing burmese, gets very upset at certain pitches and noises. The bleep on my mobile phone reminder makes him cry, he won't shut up and get's so upset. I changed the bleep to a ddifferent tone and he stopped.

As well as all the reasons above, which make perfect sense, i wonder if your babys cry is just at a certain pitch that really upsets your cat. Perhaps once your baby is a bit bigger in a month and the pitch changes, it may upset your cat less.

Just an idea anyway :D

My oscar, whose mummy was a moggy but whose father we are pretty sure was a passing burmese, gets very upset at certain pitches and noises. The bleep on my mobile phone reminder makes him cry, he won't shut up and get's so upset. I changed the bleep to a ddifferent tone and he stopped.

One of my cats (parentage unknown but look very oriental) is affected my mobile tone and comes running when she hears it. Her brother couldn't care less. So I'm sure the pitch of the cry must be a factor.

The cat (Basil, RIP) I had when DS was born completely ignored him.

When I had my DD the tabby cat we had at the time, Smudge, used to follow me around the whole time if DD was crying. She never tried to get into the cot/pram with Louise but just followed me. I always thought she was trying to make sure I was doing the right thing. She had already had kittens by this point and probably thought I was useless :wink::lol:

Bit of tlc for the cat and it will all settle down. Smudge only did it for a couple of months.

I don't know with cats, but when DS was born and we came in from the hospital with him, DH took him and placed him in the middle of the floor to let our dog sniff him. Well, you can imagine how I reacted to that (!!!!) but actually it really worked and once the dog had a good look and a sniff she was really not too worried about his cried etc. She would let us know if he stirred and eventually became very protective of him.