Moonie

End of my tether!!!

Beryl has been off colour for about 2 months, she's been on antibiotics, lost her feathers and has slowly got her strength and her feathers back .... BUT the others have rejected her, i have tried everything ie free ranging together, dividing the run, putting individual chooks with her etc, but whatever i do they won't accept her and just very viciously attack her, so much so that i fear for her life. :x

She currently lives in the shed and has the whole garden to herself while the others have their run and cube etc. Beryl is miserable and lonely and just follows us around the garden and the cats for a bit of company. :cry:

I'ts breaking my heart to see her so low.

So what shall i do???? All advice with be gratefully accepted.

Sorry to hear it :( But glad she is feeling better

How about getting her a friend and introducing them together to the flock???

Good Luck

Tom

Hi tom, i thought about that, but what if i'm then adding to the problem and the new one picks on her too. :(

can you get her a bantam friend? not a minature one, just a smaller chook and then section the run off for the 2 of them to live together?

that's what we did with our disabled girl, she and the 2 banties have half the run, the other mob have the rest. At night, Bea and the banties sleep in the nest box and the other mob roost on the bars. We just put a removable grill over the hole in the nest box at night, so never the twain can get at the other! :D

I would divide and conquer if I were you.

Why not put one of the other girls in with her for a few days. There might be a bit of squabbling, but you could try a mini intro in the shed to get them to become friends.

If she has an ally then the others nastiness will be diluted, and you never know, they may become the bosses.

I would divide and conquer if I were you.

Why not put one of the other girls in with her for a few days. There might be a bit of squabbling, but you could try a mini intro in the shed to get them to become friends.

If she has an ally then the others nastiness will be diluted, and you never know, they may become the bosses.

This sounds like a good plan, you could even then add a third one in and see how that goes and then once you have 2 happy with Beryl add them back to the rest.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

have to say I agree, divide and conquer..thats what we did to introduce our third chicken..

3 rd chicken spent a day alone (after being attacked) in a seperate large dog crate, with large cat basket inside..with food, roosting bars for night, and tarp over the top (it was summer)

then the next day we took out the number one hen, nad put her seperately..and kept her there, while number two chicken and number three bonded...it took a day or so, and if Num,ber one chicken couldnt see number two chicken...there was absolute hell on, so they had to see each other....

whole process took over a week I think..

so I think its a good idea, to find a chicken low in the pecking order who will get on with your recovering chook.....

best of luck :-) and give her an extra treat from me....its heartbreaking I know..

Edited by Guest

when Saffy was so poorly after she was attacked by a fox & her 3 friends killed we delayed getting any new girls until she was a little stronger, she had been the bottom of the pecking order when the others had been around, we got 3 young girls & Saffy is now the boss, maybe a younger friend would be the answer, keep them apert from the others & re introduce both of them slowly once your girl is stronger

bothe sugestions will work I am sure. I too was worried that if I got a friend for my bullied girl that it would be 3 going for her. Best thing I did for wee Moe there were problems as the new one was a rescue & was injured, but the 2 are best friends, the other 2 are horrid thugs to both of them, less so than to their fellow escapee. but they go tottering of together, sit together call for each other, & free ranging all 4 is no trouble. whetjer you get another or as "E" sugest divide & conquer, pick her a friend. (a gentle friend!) :D I have never regretted it! :D