Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

That sounds a good price. We got a local joiner to price up and it was way more than Tony's price for us but we then couldn't organise delivery and it was too far to collect. I was lucky and a work colleague built ours for me. We were shocked by the price of the wood though!

Tony insists it's really easy to put together so if I do go with him, I imagine I'd only need help fixing the battens to the garage. I don't have the equipment or knowhow for that :? .

It'll be really interesting to see what the joiner quotes. I'm going to try to get him to use exactly the same specifications as Tony, if I can.

You know, this run really is destined to be :D .

Just had an email from a Freecycler that I'd emailed (not noticing that his 20 3ftx2ft paving slabs had gone :oops: ). He still has 8 left, 2 cracked, but still usable I'd think.

I may be able to slab the run after all (although I'm still not sure I want to - I do like the girls having soil to dig in :? ). They'll make a good path in any case.

ANH I have a cost reducing idea........

In Tony`s quote he says plastic roof goes over the mesh so why not ask for quote for three sides, plastic roof but no mesh on the roof....did that make sense?

If the roof is made by Tony I assume that it comes will all the required fixings and what nots so £75 sounds quite reasonable plus you haven`t got the worry of working out how much plastic you will need or have to cut it!

The only down side is that with no mesh on the roof a little security is lost but surely if the roof is secure there will be no foxes breaking in?? You could always staple mesh onto the inside of the roof later....

Not sure how much you would save but just an idea.

Re your egg port and poop tray hatch etc I would break it all down. I think the best way to look at big purchases is to break them down..... I purchased another grub from omlet today and thought :shock: £12.00 for a chicken feeder! But then I realised that it is only three subways! Packed lunch for the rest of the week but I (sorry chickens) got a swish purple GRUB :D

So what can you go without this month to be able to afford your extra hatches?

In Tony`s quote he says plastic roof goes over the mesh so why not ask for quote for three sides, plastic roof but no mesh on the roof....did that make sense?

That's an idea :think: . The only thing is, he says the roof is flat but the translucent roof is made sloping by fixing it to a batten (sp?) at one end. So if there was no roof mesh, there would be a long triangular gap between the roof and the top of the run sides. I don't suppose anything like a fox could get through there but not sure if you'd want a gap. What do you think?

Keep the money-saving ideas coming, though! I'm liking them!

That's an idea :think: . The only thing is, he says the roof is flat but the translucent roof is made sloping by fixing it to a batten (sp?) at one end. So if there was no roof mesh, there would be a long triangular gap between the roof and the top of the run sides. I don't suppose anything like a fox could get through there but not sure if you'd want a gap. What do you think?

Keep the money-saving ideas coming, though! I'm liking them!

If you look at pics in third row on chicken run page of his website it shows a sloping roof. To me it looks like the normal panels with a batten on top on the front panels so the roof slopes back. The gap you talk about seems to have wood over it in the pics. I assume that the roof that Tony supplies for £75 would come with the batten and the triangle wood...worth an ask?

If you want to mesh the inside later you can. I am sure Omleteers have enough offcuts of weldmesh to make loads of patchwork runs!

:D:D:D:D:D

I called Tony this afternoon about the run. I asked lots of questions and said that we would like to have him build the run during the June half term as we had lots of pulling about and re-organising of the garden to do. He gave me lots of ideas and we have decided that we are going to have a 7 panel x 5 panel (6.51mtr x 4.65mtr)run. Tony said that it costs the same to have a normal 93cm wide panel as it does to have a 45cm panel so we have cut the run down by a panel in length but made it an extra panel wide. We are also able to have the double doors on the side of the run if we cut down the width by 49cm. we have also decides to go with a solid felted apex roof.

I have spoken to hubby tonight and he says YYYYEEESSSSSS.

I will e-mail Tony later for a final quote but I am a happy bunny.

oh great news Janty!

I'm still mulling over my plans, can I ask a couple of questions from those who already have runs?

I was thinking I wanted the Cube outside, so I could access poo trays/egg port without going through the run, however I now know that I can have hatches for this and have the Cube inside, which would maximise the space. The downside is that for cleaning I'd have to (presumably) wheel the whole thing out of the run into the garden. How difficult is this?

At the moment I can barely move mine with the run and extension on, but that's 'cos the front end sort of sticks - I am on my own, and don't have anyone to lift the other end. I'm assuming the Cube with no run attached would be easier to move.

Today I seriously considered selling the Cube and buying a purple Eglu again! I love the Eglu, and the only reason I got a Cube was because of the bigger run. I know technically it'snot big enough for five girls, but lots of people say theirs all squish in at night.

Maybe I need to find another site. :think: Although I have a big garden by most standards (100' long) quite a lot of it is heavily planted or unsuitable for other reasons.

I think if there's just you Olly, you would struggle to move the cube, even without a run on it. I would opt for the cube on the outside of the run as I cant move the cube myself, although I know I have a bad back at times, I still wouldn't be able to, it's bulky, and not designed IMO to be wheeled in and out of a walk in run (although I know people DO manage it).

My winter quarters bought October. 4ft 6 x 9ft door & eglu hatch os in the car port..Tonys hatches are perfect for eglu access.I also use it for popping back an odd chook, often one not gone in.

mine have dirt strip up middle as it was a drive for car(pre us) they adore this for dust bathing. Due to condensation drips even without snow in the winter made me put easy bed in one part. "we are NOT amused" :lol:

Hubby is making more panels for summer quarters which I hope will be good for spring through Autumn.

I may rethink winter quarters for next year. Have long thin garden gets soggy .I really love having run by house.no soggy trips to open up.

ha ha anyone seen my posts? they live indoors!

honest it just sort of happened.

I think the 3 sided shed idea is brilliant., but having seen freezing soil in my greenhouse I feel there will still be freezing glugs.

I have posted how my wild bird water stays unfrozen, cab't see why it wouldn't work with another type, maybe not glugs!

I was desperate for one of Tony's runs but on pricing it up it's far too expensive for me. I'm now considering a half height run where you can take the sides off to clean it out. Hmmm. The Eglu run would be fine if only I could create some sort of sloping run or something above it to get rid of the rain so I can put easibed down. I just don't like the look of covers over the run itself.

Thing is, it occured to me that by the time you've built some kind of roof to cover the eglu run, you've built the frame for a run in itself!

Arrrrgh

Can't justify £500 on a chicken run though :o

Do you mean something like this?

0eb4_11.jpg

I saw this on an ebay listing and saved the picture. I am not sure how much rain it would keep out though. Also would need to be anchord to gound otherwide I could see it taking off!

U could buy pre-made panels like these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280311459584&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=280307948178&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

and make a run with corrugated plastic on top. U could even lay this panel on it`s long side and it would be tall enough to encase the Eglu and run cos I think that is 2ft8.

just an idea

So Sandy, how do you clean the Eglu? Do you take it apart and take all the bits outside to clean? I'm just thinking about hosing down the base.

I'm now thinking that even if I had the Cube outside the run, it would still need to be moved for cleaning, otherwise you can't slide open the roof.

I need to do a lot more chewing over!