Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

Seagazer - my concerete slab for my cube was built lower intentionally than the concrete slab for the run the run, allowing for the ladder to be lower to the run ground, so if you could use your lower level slabbed area for your cube to stand on you could use that to your advantage as my ladder is now very close to the floor and they have no trouble with it.

Did I make sense there?? if not pm me and I will try to explain further.. :lol:

edited for typos

Seagazer - my concerete slab for my cube was built lower intentionally than the concrete slab for the run the run, allowing for the ladder to be lower to the run ground, so if you could use your lower level slabbed area for your cube to stand on you could use that to your advantage as my ladder is now very close to the floor and they have no trouble with it.

Did I make sense there?? if not pm me and I will try to explain further.. :lol:

edited for typos

It did thanks Cookie, I'm not sure I could put mt cube in the right place to be able to get to the shed - I know that doesn't make sense!! :wink::D

I can highly recommend them Ygerna, also I would get the biggest one you have room for/can afford. I would have had a bigger one but the OH put his foot down! :( In mine I can have 5 chooks comfortably, don't want to overcrowd them, and as I've now got a broody Barnevelder I'm glad I'll have the 2 Elgus :roll:

Moomin how big is your run ? Looks absolutly fab - I like the little flap where you can fill up their grups without going into the run.

Thanks all for your kind comments!

What did your OH use for the slats on the eglu table? It looks great 8) . I've got an ugly table which would be vastly improved by something like that :) .

I've just noticed you've got a wee flap for the grub/glug too :shock:8) . You've thought of everything :D .

ANH he used plain wooden slats, 2ins x 1ins. Just cut them to size and secured to 3 supports underneath that go cross wise along the depth of the table, with screws.

Vanessa & ANH, the small flap is supposed to be a pop hole! But it's a waste of time I don't use it they just come out of the door which I leave open when they are out free ranging. So I just put the grub in that place. The run is 7ft X 10 ft.

Seagazer, mine love to scratch around in the Aubiose, they find all sorts of stuff, bits of left over food that's been spilled, grit and seashell that I chuck in for them, and they peck up bits of dust and a few little bugs that get in! :vom: They are always scratching! They don't come out much either, just for half an hour at the moment when I get home from work. Could you not just let them out to free-range for half an hour a day, supervised? I can't say whether they would miss the bare earth floor or not but they would soon get used to it :D

:lol::lol: Get on with it, woman :shameonu: . You can't leave that poor doggie sitting there for much longer :shameonu::wink: .

I'm just itching to get going :wall: . No word from the joiner today :( . I'm going to call him tomorrow - I can't wait any longer :notalk: .

Today we put down some slabs and cut down some big branches that are in the way (they've become nice perches 8) ).

More slabs to go down tomorrow (and a chap coming to quote for returfing the lawn!)

Ros, thanks for that :) . Although you say "just" ... like I can manage "cutting to size" and "securing" :roll: . I've got 2 old sets of wooden roosting bars, I might try to cobble something together with them using you as inspiration :idea: .

Today we put down some slabs and cut down some big branches that are in the way (they've become nice perches 8) ).

More slabs to go down tomorrow (and a chap coming to quote for returfing the lawn!)

Crikey you don't hang around when you have made a decision do you?!

:D

My cunning plan is a walk in fruit cage! I know it sounds mad but there is a local company http://www.knowlenets.co.uk/garden/walkin_fruitcages.htm who do walk in cages, which they can supply with poultry netting. I costed mine out - for a 3m 2m run (height is about 6'6") with one full size door, about £170. With all fixings, roof netting and what have you, delivery is £6 - included in the above. I have been saving up my child benefit money - I figure the toddlers benefit muchly from the play value, being pecked occasionally (life experierence!) and lots and lots of very fresh eggs - and can now afford to buy this, and give our sadly pooped on lawn a much deserved rest. We live by the sea, and have LOTS of wind here, so open sides are the best option for us. I will probably try a corrugated roof, just to keep the worst of the rain off, and there is a substantial hedge/bay tree one side and a huge house wall (neighbours) at the back of the proposed run site, so I think that will be enough shelter. For shade I will hook the winter Omlet shade from the current small run onto whichever side gets too hot. I'm so excited, I've been planning to move them for months, but didn't have the money - now all we have to do is move the shed that's in the way. Easy!

I'll post pics as soon as I get going, we are ordering the thing tomorrow, but won't be putting it up for a few weeks yet I think.

All LS cross

Mavis (ready for the pot)

Millie

Gertie

Gussie

Soon to be joined by 2 more LS cross - if I can get Mavis traded off first!

(green eglu)

wow that sounds like a good solution chickenmummy. Are you sure the poultry netting will be foxproof? Sorry, not wanting to sound negative, I don't really know what poultry netting is! That would be a really big run. (I've always believed it should really be called 'mum's benefit' anyway - you deserve it!)

Moomin, your run is gorgeous and I'm :mrgreen: I especially like the poo flaps and the grub-and-glub flap (doesn't look like a pop-hole to me!) Did it come in that lovely colour, or did you paint it yourself?

I am still dithering - Cube inside the run/Cube outside the run, get rid of the Cube and have an Eglu inside the run.

Can I ask a question please - those who have laid slabs, what did you lay them on? Hardcore, sand or just earth? That's the first job I have to do and I can't even decide on that bit!

Photos as promised for ANH and the rest of the WIR planning gang! :D

This is a pic of the whole run, it's from Aviaries4U -

DSCF1877.jpg

The table the OH made, sorry it's a bit poo-ey :vom: , it's 70cm's high from floor level -

DSCF1859.jpg

Chooks underneath the table, Skye's bum is very scruffy she's just come through a moult :D

DSCF1862.jpg

Poo flap to get the poo tray out, very clean 'cos I'd just cleaned it :oops: -

DSCF1872.jpg

The double poo flaps, for when the other Eglu's in there, I have a purple one for my Pekin Bantams due next week, (when they are old enough and if/when my other girls have accepted them! :? ) -

DSCF1867.jpg

The glass tarp on the run, not pretty but it keeps the worst of the rain out.Obviously you can't put them all the way round as they need ventilation, I have them on three sides but only when it's pouring with rain and very strong winds. :roll:

DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1869.jpg

The hooks to hang the tarp on, very strong they have survived high winds this winter, lined up along the top of the frame with the eyelets in the tarp -

DSCF1871.jpg

Hope you like my run it's my pride and joy - along with my chickens, I'm always out there pottering about with them, that's when I'm not at flippin' work! :evil:

Can l ask were you got your glass tarp from please as it will sort out my roofing prblems :clap:

wow that sounds like a good solution chickenmummy. Are you sure the poultry netting will be foxproof? Sorry, not wanting to sound negative, I don't really know what poultry netting is! That would be a really big run. (I've always believed it should really be called 'mum's benefit' anyway - you deserve it!)

Well, the only thing that's really foxproof is the Eglu itself, as long as we lock our girls up at night they're safe :whistle: ! The net stuff is called Triflex, it's supposed to be pretty good. We'll board round the bottom of the run with spare plankage or clear Perspex (as others have done) too, in the belt and braces approach! And the whole of the sides will be netted. The cage sits into the ground a bit too, so that should stop digging out, and the whole thing will be sat on a slabbed edge, earth only in the middle. Hopefully all that should deter the little foxy/ratty beggars from getting in! The run size is about what they've got now on the lawn, but it will be taller - so they can have branches and whatnot, and we will raise the Eglu up like many others have done so the chicks will have all the floor space. I am just off to phone my order through now :D

Edited by Guest

CookieMonster, of course we can :D . (Saves on the washing up and I won't have to clean the house :oops: , so suits me :wink: .)

Can l ask were you got your glass tarp from please as it will sort out my roofing prblems :clap:

I've not bought one yet but have been looking around for different suppliers.

Here are 4 I've found so far:

http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/glass-clear-pvc-tarpaulins.html

http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/6ft-x-10ft-glass-clear-pvc-tarpaulin#ratings

http://www.tarpsuk.co.uk/glass-clear-pvc-tarps.html

http://www.allplaz.com/acatalog/Clear_Tarps.html

I'll be interested to hear more about your fruit cage run 8) . Sounds good :) .

Can I ask a question please - those who have laid slabs, what did you lay them on? Hardcore, sand or just earth? That's the first job I have to do and I can't even decide on that bit!

I'm dithering here too :roll: . I'm not laying slabs in the centre of the run, just round the edges. We've only done a few so far but we're just laying them on earth. Then last night I had a panic (as you do when planning a WIR :roll: ). In the eglu run, the girls were very good at excavating at the edge of the run and undermining the slabs the run skirt sat on :evil: . Soooo, I'm now thinking how about that crinkly green lawn edging, laid along the inside of the slabs to prevent this. What do you think?

Sorry,Olly, this doesn't answer your question at all :oops: . Have you read this thread though? Someone's in the middle of laying slabs for a run!

Talking this over with OH last night he thinks we will be able to have the run so that we can take some of the slabs up and they can have space to dig around in the ground. :D

I think it means we will have to build up the bit on the slabs because it is slightly lower but guess we can just utilise the ones we are going to take up. Gradually building up to ringing up for a quote! :roll:

That's good news :clap: . You're making progress :D .

I had the first chap round today to quote for a new lawn. He says he will rotivate the lawn and can also do the run area so it can be levelled too :) . That will make laying the slabs much easier :dance: . He did say I need to put sand down though :( . Another hurdle :roll: .

Getting another quote tonight at 5.30 :) .

Sorry I'm not very good at doing multiple quotes, especially when I've had a glass of wine :lol:

Chelsea I just went out to the garage as I couldn't remember the colour I used to paint the run. Very scary as we have mice in there and it's dark! Luckily I kept the tin, it's called Cuprinol Heritage Garden Shades and the colour is 'Beaumont Blue'. It's a colour that merges well with the plants and very cheery. :D

I think my 1st glass tarps, the ones in the pics, were from tarpaflex, but I've also just bought one from here -

http://www.allplas.co.uk/acatalog/Clear_Tarps.html

One of the tarpaflex ones ripped down the side, although we've had really good use out of it all winter. So I'm going to cut it up to make an Eglu run cover for my baby girls. :dance:

We laid our patio on normal sand and concrete, then 'cos we were worried about the wet, we added an extra layer of slabs on the top, and the the run is built on that. The slabs are just laid loose on top of the patio. We get a bit of rising damp, where the damp comes up through the cracks but I don't think you can avoid it. As the slabs are loose I'm thinking of taking them up and putting down damp-proof membrane, when the weather gets better. :D

I'm forever messing about with my run, making little improvements all the time - hope the chickens appreciate it! :roll:

One of the tarpaflex ones ripped down the side, although we've had really good use out of it all winter. So I'm going to cut it up to make an Eglu run cover for my baby girls. :dance:

I was wondering if it would work cutting one of these up :think: . I can't find one that will fit the short side of my run so wondered about buying a really big one and cutting it to size. Is it thick enough plastic that leaving a side without the edging would be OK? I'll need it to withstand some pretty ferocious winds :? .

I was wondering if it would work cutting one of these up :think: . I can't find one that will fit the short side of my run so wondered about buying a really big one and cutting it to size. Is it thick enough plastic that leaving a side without the edging would be OK? I'll need it to withstand some pretty ferocious winds :? .

Get your sewing machine out! :D:wink: