Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

ok some more pictures as promised to Em (palmer7)

Please excuse the garden/grass it's been trashed doing this so we will have to rectify in the summer, the boards are to stop us slipping everywhere!

the cube butted up to the run tightly

SP_A0290.jpg

SP_A0291.jpg

showing how ladder is attached

SP_A0292.jpg

SP_A0293.jpg

showing adapted bracket for the superglug and then one showing the unadapted bracket being used with the grub

SP_A0294.jpg

SP_A0295.jpg

Well, I'm going to have to join this thread. OH and I have just put down the slabs for our walk in run to sit on. It'll be 2.5 x 4.5 meters. I've ordered the weldmesh and we're just making plans on the wood.

I've hinted that I'd like it done by my next Hen Party :wink:

I'm getting so much inspiration from you all. Hopefully it won't be long before I can make a start on the build.

Well we've just measured and the total space we have to use is 12 foot by 9 foot. I want to have the cube on the outside so not all that space will be for the run.

I would also like a little bit to be seperate and for them to do scratching in mud but safely. I just think this will make it too expensive to try to add onto the run. On Tony's site there is a run with a little flap into a different little run - thats the sort of thing I was thinking of. But if I do that I think the cube will have to go inside the run - oh I am getting so confused. Grr :roll:

Photos as promised for ANH and the rest of the WIR planning gang! :D

This is a pic of the whole run, it's from Aviaries4U -

DSCF1877.jpg

The table the OH made, sorry it's a bit poo-ey :vom: , it's 70cm's high from floor level -

DSCF1859.jpg

Chooks underneath the table, Skye's bum is very scruffy she's just come through a moult :D

DSCF1862.jpg

Poo flap to get the poo tray out, very clean 'cos I'd just cleaned it :oops: -

DSCF1872.jpg

The double poo flaps, for when the other Eglu's in there, I have a purple one for my Pekin Bantams due next week, (when they are old enough and if/when my other girls have accepted them! :? ) -

DSCF1867.jpg

The glass tarp on the run, not pretty but it keeps the worst of the rain out.Obviously you can't put them all the way round as they need ventilation, I have them on three sides but only when it's pouring with rain and very strong winds. :roll:

DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1869.jpg

The hooks to hang the tarp on, very strong they have survived high winds this winter, lined up along the top of the frame with the eyelets in the tarp -

DSCF1871.jpg

Hope you like my run it's my pride and joy - along with my chickens, I'm always out there pottering about with them, that's when I'm not at flippin' work! :evil:

Wow, Moomin, thats terrific. I think I am SO going to save for an A4U WIR. I have looked at cheaper options but would rather get one thats of such high quality with the added personal add on's such as poop deck flaps etc.

I am going to go and play with tape measures, sticks and twine tomorrow to see just how much room there is out there :D

I can highly recommend them Ygerna, also I would get the biggest one you have room for/can afford. I would have had a bigger one but the OH put his foot down! :( In mine I can have 5 chooks comfortably, don't want to overcrowd them, and as I've now got a broody Barnevelder I'm glad I'll have the 2 Elgus :roll:

Thanks so much for all those fab photos 8):D . You can really see all the details that make it a really good run :D . I didn't know A4U did the little poo tray flaps - I want one :mrgreen: . I'm going to show my joiner that picture - it's great :D .

What did your OH use for the slats on the eglu table? It looks great 8) . I've got an ugly table which would be vastly improved by something like that :) .

I've just noticed you've got a wee flap for the grub/glug too :shock:8) . You've thought of everything :D .

Moomin - great photos, your run looks 8)

Can you all please tell me if I'm obsessing too much about the girls having earth to scratch in? They will be in the run all the time apart from when I clean it out for two reasons 1) my poor garden and 2) the daily visit of Mr Fox. I can't get it out of my head that they will be unhappy without any patch of earth to hopefully dig up a bug or two. Trouble is it is going to make the planning of the run so confusing trying to fit something in for them that is safe and secure. I just wonder if there is anybody out there who keeps them in all the time and doesn't have any space with earth in? :roll:

Ann, I'm determined to give mine as big a patch of soil within in the run as I can :? . Granted I don't have foxes (yet :anxious: ) or rats (yet :anxious: ) but I plan to lay the run on a rectangle of slabs (possibly with chicken wire underneath as suggested by the joiner). The run has garage on one side and patio on another and I plan to lay a fairly wide path round the other two sides. I'm fairly certain that will be enough :? .

Ann, I'm determined to give mine as big a patch of soil within in the run as I can :? . Granted I don't have foxes (yet :anxious: ) or rats (yet :anxious: ) but I plan to lay the run on a rectangle of slabs (possibly with chicken wire underneath as suggested by the joiner). The run has garage on one side and patio on another and I plan to lay a fairly wide path round the other two sides. I'm fairly certain that will be enough :? .

Vicki - will you be putting bedding down? I suppose it would work the same almost as what you have now will it? You have bedding onto earth, am I right?

Where my run is going is a big slab of concrete and then at the front of that is the slabs that we laid onto sand to put the girls on. I've just been out and got it straight in my mind about the run and cube going a different way round so that I can access the cube ok. I don't think this will allow me to have any bare earth in the run though as it will be where the concrete is and then there is a difference in levels to the slabs. We will have to build the slabs up to the same level as the concrete. :roll:

Don't worry - I'll get there eventually :?