Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

SLAB IT ALL!!!!! especially if you have the slabs anyways! and then use aubiose on top. Since adding aubiose to my eglu run my girls seem to be in dust bath heaven.

I will be slabbing mine as......

* for full clean they can be blasted with pressure washer (summertime)

* for mini clean just a but of water and disinfectant can be applied using still brush.

* aubiose will stay dryer than on earth?

*got clay/clagging soil which when even small amounts of water are adding becomes sticky horrible stuff PAH!

* keeps the rats out

* run will sit on it with about 6inch slab skirt to deter Mr Fox

I will also add shallow large trug with dry compost for dustbathing as this in Gin's favourite.

If you leave a section to earth then you are leaving the posibility of mud and rats.

Also if the girls free range how much are they going to miss earth in the run?

Do you mean something like this?

0eb4_11.jpg

I saw this on an ebay listing and saved the picture. I am not sure how much rain it would keep out though. Also would need to be anchord to gound otherwide I could see it taking off!

U could buy pre-made panels like these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280311459584&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=280307948178&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

and make a run with corrugated plastic on top. U could even lay this panel on it`s long side and it would be tall enough to encase the Eglu and run cos I think that is 2ft8.

just an idea

That was exactly what I was meaning! Except, now looking at it, I suppose it would be quite difficult to get the run out the way to clean wouldn't it.

I'm tempted with the run panel idea.

the only reason I got a Cube was because of the bigger run. I know technically it'snot big enough for five girls, but lots of people say theirs all squish in at night.

I used to have two eglus and five chickens and they all used to sleep together in the one eglu at night by choice... they used to fight over who slept in the nest box though - perhaps I never taught them to roost properly! :roll:

I'm now thinking that even if I had the Cube outside the run, it would still need to be moved for cleaning, otherwise you can't slide open the roof.

I need to do a lot more chewing over!

you can with something like this

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36968&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15 scroll down a bit..

I had the same thoughts Olly, this is exactly the same problem I was in before buying my cube (which is sitting waiting to be used at the moment until the run is finished ..weather permitting)

ANH - slab it all, we have a full concrete base and that will basically be the same. Just make sure the slabs are laid on a sercure mix otherwise I have read somewhere on here that rats can tunnel under, causing the paving slabs to drop, which was why I went for for concrete, but then I do have a hubby with an orange cement mixer ready to go! :lol:

edited for typo

Edited by Guest

T'was me who regretted not slabbing the whole run

Can I ask why? Does the soil get yucky quickly or is it because it's harder work to keep clean? I plan to do as I do at present, dig over the soil every 6 weeks or so, remove an inch or two, Stalosan F & garden lime it, and new bedding. Would that not work?

The experience of folks like you who already have runs is invaluable!!

I'm just lazy at house ( or cube) keeping.

Had it been all slabbed I could clear out most of the aubiose by hand & blast away the rest with a hosepipe :D

I can only blast the edges at the mo.

I bought my roof panels & screws from Wickes. I used the mini profile corrugated plastic, & I think it came to less than £40 for 6 panels & about 70 screws. I still have a whole panel left.

My roof isn't weldmeshed, it just doesn't need it.

There is a "A" shaped bit of wood which goes up on the side to make the roof slope- I filled in the holes with some odd bits of weldmesh I had over.

If his roof price includes these "A" frames then I don't think its such a bad price at £75.

If Tony's panels come ready weldmeshed that's a big help as it took me & J a whole afternoon to hammer the weldmesh on.

Top tip- I regret putting the glug against the outside wall run. I did it so I could fill it up using a watering can, but I never do that. I would put my glug against the back wall where the garden fence is, the glug might be protected from frost a bit better there & not freeze so quickly. If I do move it it involves drilling & woodworking & time, so it will stay where it is for now.

Tony has just e-mailed me the final quote for everything.

I am just going to show hubby again the final price (handy when you work together) and I will e-mail him back. We will have a lot of work to do in the garden which is why we can't get it any sooner that June half term (we don't have a lot of time for major things in term time).

That's good news :D . How are you possibly going to wait till June :shock: . How many sleeps is that :think::( ?

My joiner's coming at 1pm :dance::dance: . I've got a lovely diagram and notes for him :D .

And the garden's covered in a couple of inches of snow :roll: .

So you will post at about half one re how you got on?? :wink: Just asking as I am off to clean out the chooks and need to know when to pop back in for a cuppa and run price update.

Have you got averies4u website open so you can tell the joiner "i want that one!" :D

If he sees what you are after he will know what your expectations and maybe try to beat the price?

Thanks Sandy, and LoopyLoo. As I'm at work I can't see the pics on that other thread, will have a look when I get home. I hadn't thought about the fact that once the roof etc is off an Eglu, then there's only the base to move.

I am really undecided now. Run with Cube outside? OK but I will lose run space.

Run with Cube inside? more run space, but I will struggle to move the Cube out for cleaning.

Or ... sell Cube and buy an Eglu again ... hmm, that one is sounding more attractive every time I think about it!

She must KNOW we are here waiting surely :shock:

I have to say that I am trying to save for my walk in run. I've decided I want one after reading this thread but I will have to pay for it myself so, egg money, Birthday money etc is all going to be saved up for my run! :D Then Hubby can't say anything can he :wink:

Yoohoo, I'm baaack :D . Sorry, I had to take ES to football, then collect OH from work afterwards.

Well, I'm sorry to report that I'm a bit disappointed :( and a little cross :evil: . Robert turned up with his wife and, after I'd explained my plans and shown them my very detailed diagram done on the PC, we went into the garden to discuss it further and they both (but her especially) kept trying to change everything :shock: .

"Why don't you have the eglu there?" ...... because I want to be able to see the girls, not have my view blocked by the eglu.

"I don't understand why you want it there" ......... because it's beside the compost bin for emptying the poo tray.

etc, etc :evil:

He even suggested building a chicken coop and getting rid of the eglu :shock: . No way, Jose :shameonu: .

He then suggested putting the eglu outside the run. Fair enough, but the run would then be one metre further away from the house, we'd have to chop down a tree, move the compost bin, and it would cover half the side garage door (which we don't use, but it wouldn't look nice :? ). Also, I don't know what he'd make as a "gap" for the eglu - I'm not convinced it would be up to Tony's standards :? . He's also insisting we need a 4 sided run for stability.

I then had to leave to take ES to football so we didn't really get to a final solution but I'm getting a quote which I suppose can be altered. The materials should be almost the same regardless.

I'm going to draw up their suggestions and have a think about it but tbh I spent hours thinking which way I wanted it all to be and it's ME that knows how the setup works so I will have to be firm and just say I want what's on my plan :notalk: .