cathybc

New nasty neighbour

:( When I got my girls almost a year ago, my neigbour complained. Luckily he has now moved. But he has sold the house to one of his friends, and he is now complaining. Apparantly, he can't get his lie-ins on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays 'cos they wake him up and then he can't get back to sleep. He said they were noisy from 615 to 840 last Sunday, and he has recorded it on his mobile to prove it.

I have said I will try shutting the eglu door to see if a) it keeps them asleep for longer,, and b) keeps any noise in.

But I am really worried if he is keeping records already, sounds like he is gathering evidence. And he seems quite like his friend personality wise; my ex neighbour moaned about everything - the length of my grass, my bins, trees three houses away, the kids next door. Once, he even let himself into my house as he felt my garden needed tidying! I had given him keys for emergencies when I first moved in but got them straight back after this, I felt so voilated, he had not asked me or left me a note or anything, I just got home and knew someone had been in, really creepy. I think that is why I am reacting so strongly to the new neighbour, I am scared he will go the same way, I don't feel comfortable living next door to him. I am on tenterooks waiting to see what he will complain about next, and I am drading him contacting the council about my girls.

sorry to go on, I am so upset about this, just need to get it off my chest.

Cathy and my lovely girls xxxx

I don't think he has the right to absolute silence during daylight hours. There are pigeons which sit on the guttering outside my bedroom before it's light and make far more noise than my chickens ever do. Unless you have a rooster, I doubt very much whether your girls will exceed the legal noise levels, so I would just smile sweetly and let him do his worst. You could always buy him a packet of earplugs! Good luck, and try not to worry.

my new green Eglu looks almost black inside compared to red & pink. I used weed suppresant (heavy one_ folded double all last summer. For the girls benefit as I didn't want to let them out before 7.

I WOULD DOI A FEW RECORDINGS ON YOUR PHONE "JUST INCASE"

poor you...

I agree bin men here at 6 every Friday. cars etc, all the lovely bird song!

Maybe he needs new double glazimg!

Poor you. In the summer we have house sparrows nesting in the gutttering every year

and the noise they make is amazing. Even with double glazing, you either can't breath

or open the window and take your chances. I think a welcoming cake or 1/2 doz eggs

every now and again will help. "Ooops, word censored!"ody would be so cruel as to not accept a gift of friendship. :pray: Maybe he isnt a nature lover but a foody. Keeping the door shut of my cube causes the girls to make more noise (sorry)

The council will still have to come and check. They aren't going to just take his word for it. I doubt that they will pitch up at 6.15am.

Your hens aren't going to be louder than ambient neighbourhood noise, and I don't think anyone has a 'right' to a lie in, in much the same way as one doesn't have a 'right' to a view.

What a shame that you are having to go though this.

You poor thing, how awful, nothing worse than bad neighbours. I agree with everyone else, I don't see how hens can be considered a true noise nuisance, not when you think about stereo systems and sound systems that the council are used to dealing with. If you had a cockerel then yes, he might have something to complain about (I cringe everytime big-beak opens his mouth to crow in our garden :oops: ) but children playing in the garden make noise, peoples dogs make noise, neighbours starting cars make noise, if he wants a lie in I suggest he sleeps at the front of the house!

BeckyBoo - thinking of you

my chickens are noisy and I found the only solution is to shut the cube door. This way you are in control and not those little madams :lol: and you can let them out when you feel it is a reasonable hour.

I put a dark picnic blanket over the top (not covering ventilation holes) and this keeps it darker inside and they stay quieter for longer.

My lot usually make noise in the morning after they have eaten their pellets, they get bored and want to come out of the run, so at weekends during the winter we dont open the door till nearly 8am - this means by the time they have scratched around and eaten a bit its nearly 9am before they start to get itchy feet. ( a much more reasonable hour for noise). :D

I hope things work out for you.

you only have 3 chickens, it can't be that noisy!? Do you want me to come round and sort him out? ;)

failing that, let's have a really noisy party in your back garden and give him something to REALLY moan about! :lol:

Ignore him, like Egluntine says, having a lie-in isn't a valid reason to make a complaint to the council, stuff him!

I'm sorry to learn that you are having problems with your neighbour :o

I think as long as you act reasonably (which you obviously have done) and maybe cover the Eglu as has been suggested, you should not have a problem. No one has the right to absolute silence when they wish it especially if they live adjacent to other folk - please don't let this mean spirited person get the better of you - continue to enjoy your girls :)

I personally would tell him where to go, but I can see you wouldn't want to do that and I agree how creepy of the last man to let himself in! *shudder*

Could you maybe move the eglu away from his house a little more to please him? I'm sorry I dont know your set up there. :eh:

Some people have no idea of what being a neighbour actually is do they! He really ought to look in the mirror and think 'Do I make noises in my garden that disturb her?? more than likely yes!, we all do, it's called living! :lol: Good luck! xx

How horrible to have to worry about what your nasty neighbour can or can't hear :?:evil: . I would record your girls yourself so you have evidence that they aren't that bad. After all, it would be noisier at your house than his, so if it's not too bad at yours, he hasn't got a hope.

What a creep that last neighbour was :shock: . Thank goodness he moved :anxious: .

Don't worry yourself too much about this. It's his problem, not yours!

Don't worry about it, you've done nothing wrong and Environmental Health will not be in the least bit concerned about your set up. I ought to know because my horrid neighbours have reported me so many times out of spite I'm on first name terms with my Environmental Health Officer :lol:

If you had a cockerel then he would have grounds for complaint if you are in a built up area. My EHO was very pleased with the health of my birds, the measures I had taken to make sure they and their coop weren't smelly or dirty, there were no signs of vermin and no waste piling up. He says it wouldn't be fair to have a coop right up against my neighbours fence or under their window. Infact my coops are as close to my house as they could possibly be, if I moved them any further away then they'd be nearer to other peoples houses.

The miserable old gits around here have complained about my chickens, the fact that my cats go to the toilet in MY garden, the kids toys in the back garden, the positioning of our rubbish bags on collection day, and my kids were branded graffitti artistes for drawing flowers and rainbows on the path outside with coloured chalks :shock:

Wow, lot's of nasty neighbours around! We thought we were alone in having a neighbour who hosepiped a barbeque we had! This is the one we are still concerned with but she hasn't noticed the hens yet and we've had them three weeks which will be part of the defence argument! The other neighbours will be fine and are first on our egg list.

Hope you get your neighbour problem sorted but I think you're in good company here with so much good advice.

:shock: Honestly, some people!

don't worry - what's wrong with 6.15 anyway? Some of us get up at that time every day!

I agree with all the others above - Environmental Health won't want to know, they are concerned about people playing music, hammering, etc. at all hours of the day and night. I can't believe 3 chickens are that noisy!

It's horrible feeling like that about your neighbours though. Maybe he'll settle in and get used to it.

When you first move into a house it takes a while to get used to the noises there. I remember not being able to sleep for about a week at most houses I have been to because the noises were not what I was used to. He will get used to it.

I would point out to him that firstly, the chickens were there before he moved in, and secondly, the last neighbour knew about them, so if lack of chickens was something important to him he should have asked about it before buying the house.

Some people are born whingers, leave him to it, and let him report you if he wants. I'm sure cars going past would have to be more noisy than 3 chickens! Is he going to ban them passing his house?

The same thing happened to us and they put a tape recorder in their window for a couple of weeks. Don't let that worry you because there is no evidence of time of day, decibel level or frequency and these are the things that your EHO will be interested in. We had a visit from environmental Health and he said we just need to keep them quiet until 7.30. We do this by shutting the cube at night and putting blankets over. They do still cluck inside their cube and it annoys them but that is never going to reach the levels considered a nuisance. The EHO explained that the dawn chorus argument is irrelevant because you can't do anything about that. He said the fact that they had enjoyed peace and quiet for 10 years before means they have a legitimate complaint. We really helped our case by showing we had attempted to find a solution and the EHO did not take it further. Do not lose your rag and remain calm and reasonable at all times. It will calm down when he realises there is nothing he can do about it.

Honestly :roll: some people really need to get a life!

The rule of thuimb for noise disturbance is that you are required to keep noise to a reasonable level between 11pm and 7am, that includes sounding horns.. not that our local taxi drivers take any notice.

It takes quite a lot to shift the EHOs out of their office so I wouldn't worry too much. but trying to make friends with him would be a good idea, that way you have plenty of ammunition regarding your reasonable behaviour should you need it.