How DO you solve a problem like Maria?

Who should be Maria?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Maria?

• Connie
    • Siobhan
    • Helena

Come on guys! :roll:

Can we please see this show for what it is??

Just another reality TV talent show in the same guise as Pop Idol, X Factor and all the rest?

I'm not stupid and I know the main point about this show is getting the public to buy tickets for the production later on this year (and some people already have :roll: ). It's a huge publicity stunt BUT that doesn't mean it's not worth watching. I didn't think I would, but I do enjoy it and find it really interesting.

Hmmm, I did catch some of it, although I don't make a habit of watching it, and really don't give a Monkeys Uncle who wins. Sorry :oops::oops:

But it's horses for courses...... cheap TV, but all reality TV is, and like any genre there's good bad and indifferent.

Not my cup of tea at all..... although given the choice between that and x-factor.... well sorry, no contest. X-Factor is exploitative codswallop. My opinion only.

But does anyone really believe that Simon, Louis & Sharon sit through hundreds if not thousands of auditions :? Not on your nelly, they simply haven't got the time or stamina to watch all those crowds perform, and film the lot. Researchers watch the initial auditons, then pick out the very best and the worst for us viewers to watch..... cruel on the truly hopeless who get called back to perform in fron of the famous three, only to be dealt with quite brutally by Simon.

I choose not to watch either, generally I'm here instead :oops: , but at least "Maria" still has some production values.

Come on guys! :roll:

Can we please see this show for what it is??

Just another reality TV talent show in the same guise as Pop Idol, X Factor and all the rest?

Now I have to jump in here :wink: I loath X Factor, exploitation and truely dreadful but Maria is great and different. It's real talent and a chance for someone to find a fantastic career and make a dream come true (lets face it Lord Webber is going to use alot of this talent so don't worry)

It's classy, just my opinion :D But hey what would I know :lol::lol:

BBx

Ok i can see that most people here are big Maria fans and that your Saturday nights would not be complete without your fix of this naff show - well its only another 4 days til Saturday best mark them off on your calendar! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

My OH has a unique solution as to how to solve a problem like Maria...

SHOOT HER!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I have only just caught up with this thread, I am going to see the Sound of Music on 21st December, and got my tickets before the TV show started, as its my fave musicala nd its not been on the stage for so long. I thought Connie would win when i saw the first programme but feel I need to support Siobhan cos she's from Stafford!

Now, I've heard a rumour from several sources that whichever star struck little popsie wins this contest, she is still only going to get to do a couple of shows a week (prob. a Weds evening, and a matinee somewhere...), and can be dropped at any time....

And where do they get off making the loser participate in a rousing chorus of 'So Long, Farewell' with all the other ones who have gone through to the next round????.....Pure Schadenfreude TV!!

Frankly, I think this is all a ploy for his Lordship to find the next Sarah Brightman (ie: Mrs. Lloyd Webber number er...3 is it??)...or maybe I'm just getting cynical in my dotage....

I heard the winner would do 6 out of the 8 performances. I have serious concerns about the vocal stamina of any of these girls though. Maybe the contest has the effect of training them up to sing properly every day?

And you're right about ALW. I was disgusted when he married Sarah Brightman and started putting her in all the lead roles when she couldn't sing very well at all. (She's better now) And I am equally disgusted when we see that glint in his eye as he watches and saves a girl who didn't perform very well at all.

Nice to hear from you NightNurse!

We too have all been watching this programme from day one and we all chose which 3 would be in the final. My prediction was correct. Connie has stood out since day one as being the whole package, although I would advise her to get her teeth straightened; Siobhan, lovely voice and teeth but can't act - for me it's Helena to win. She has such a good voice, lovely personality, is a good little actress, yes she's been in the bottom a few times but still comes back fighting and never gives up and she only lives up the road from me. HELENA TO WIN!!!!

Pure Schadenfreude TV!!

Where's Phil when you need him with a "Wikipediaesque" explanation?! :?:lol:

It's a fantastic (German) word! I often use it in its expanded form when I watch horrid football teams like man City, ManUtd, Liverpool, Blackburn, West Ham, Burnley, Wigan, Wolves, Tranmere, "Ooops, word censored!"nal.....

(actually it's a long list!!!)

and they lose....

it's SCHADENFREUDTASTIC!!

Phil

I'm beginning to get concerned. Once upon a time whenever a thread got derailed the very important topics of pants and chocolate would be the cause of derailment :whistle: ........... these days it's football :wall::wall:

So, back to Maria......... only I've not really watched the programme enough to give an opinion :oops:

I'll be off to another thread then :silenced::wink:

it's the invasion of the blokes, y'see..

talking of pants,..

as we ate our tea today my 14yr old son asked my 10 yr old daughter - what do girls wear their trousers pulled so high up...

we explained the relative usefulness/not-usefulness of men/women having access in an emergency to equipment accessed through the "flies" - so men need the trousers to be lower slung - but for women, their pants are often so big that they need to pull the trousers right up to cover them - and they don't normally need emergency fly-access...

he seemed happy enough with that..

is that better Kate?

8)

Phil

That's not the sort of converstaion we have over dinner! :shock:

when a child asks a question.... how can you not respond? It's all part of the education process... :wink:

we did also talk about the Parenting material that I'm studying and how parents communicate life-values to their children whether intentionally or not... like for instance whether "things" are more important than "people" - so-and-so's dad seemed far more excited by the new car (that he spent all afternoon polishing) than by what his kids were up to (my older son observed...)

whether a tidy house is more important than a bit of fun with your friends - etc..

and if so - if we were to be intentional about the "values" that our family might jointly "own" - what might they be?

honesty - open-mindedness - other people matter - those were the kind of things we suggested..

and then we talked about pants for a while... and then Emrys did an impression of a parrot (with a nose) with what was left of his French stick...

Phil

:lol::lol::lol:

We have lots of family meals like that, start with an apparently innocuous piece of conversation generally about what we've all been doing on that day..... and by some very tortuous means end up having totally bizarre conversations. I love it, keeps me guessing :wink:

BTW, and entirely off the original topic, but children and evening meals has reminded me.... daughter is transfixed about some TV programme about evacuees. The last programme she watched featured them cooking (and eating) nettle soup..... so just guess what we're all eating tonight, nettles being abundant in our garden. I'm not actually looking forward to it one little bit, but she started preparing it yesterday whilst I was at work, and I don't feel that I can refuse after she's put so much effort into it :shock::? I think we might have some interesting conversations at dinner this evening :roll:

(She will be banned from watching any episodes featuring chickens being slaughtered for food- for fears that I might come home from work to another semi-prepared dinner..... and more space in the eglu :shock: )

I've watched every one of Evacuation (BBC1 5pm). It's really good.

Don't worry, they've done the chickens bit! And it was horrible! Andrew said 'Mummy, I don't think we should watch this!'