ubereglu

Lunches

What do you do for lunch when working?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do for lunch when working?

• Buy it
    • Take a packed lunch
    • Buy it from a canteen

I think the latest thinking is 5 meals a day, so perhaps you could build in some healthy snacks between meals? Dried apricots, several satsumas, slice of toast, nuts, bananas, houmous and crudités, Innocent smoothie - I'm sure you can think of something! Find good ways of avoiding those danger zones!

I love having fresh fruit - blueberries when in season, or chopped nectarine etc - smothered in low fat, sugar free plain boring yoghurt, topped with a sprinkle of mixed seeds - mmmm! 8)

Another really yummy idea for tea is roast vegetables - really healthy and low fat, and they require minimum effort so you can spend all that cooking time in the garden with the chickens! 8)

Edited by Guest

Five meals a day eh :?

Ok

Bacon and egg sandwich for breakfast

Donuts and cakes for elevenses

Fish and chips for lunch

Muffins and butter for tea

Roast dinner, lots of roast potatoes, gravy, veg, followed by chocolate pudding

Sounds brilliant :D

At the last place I worked we used to have a "Fish N Chip Friday" - I put on half a stone in 9 months :shock:

Ok

Fish and chips for lunch

Mel, I don't think you've quite caught on to the spirit of this :shock::):)

I'm not too successful either! It just means I can have 'legitimate' snacks between meals as well as all the other bits I pick at!

Now that I am trying to lose weight I am eating breakfast (either ceral or toast) - other wise I go into work and straight to whatever biscuits / cakes are there :oops: My main problem is that if I eat at 5am when I get up I am ready for my lunch about 11am and as I dont get home till 6 / 7 and dont eat until about 7.30 I feel like I am falling over! (so go straight to the peanut jar / crisps / cheese :oops: )

I am sure eating breakfast will help you lose weight, so well done! I eat half my sandwiches at 11am and the rest at 1pm, and fruit snacks at regular intervals during the morning, I find that helps me get through the afternoon. My office is full of sweets and cakes and I actually don't bother with them most of the time, just if someone brings doughnuts in :oops:. Could you make a healthy snack to eat at about 3pm to keep you going till teatime?

I almost always have a packed lunch, often sandwiches, but sometimes a pasta salad, or a jacket potato, or soup depending on what I've got in the house, and I almost always have a piece of fruit with it. Hubby probably has packed lunches about 4 days a week, but then he sometimes goes to the work canteen or somewhere Benjy's or a local pub.... for a "staff meeting" :roll: . Daughter always has a packed lunch..... she really dislikes the pizza/ chips/ sausage roll options that are invariably on offer in her school. Son does like his school meals, his school do lots of lovely sounding veggie options like stuffed mushrooms and veggie quiches which most of the boys tend to avoid..... so he always gets a large portion when he makes those choices :roll: . So he has a packed lunch probably 50% of the time...... more so when I tell him that he's overspent on his lunch budget :wink:

Oh, and I almost always eat breakast... didn't used to after years of working early and late shifts etc, but these days I try hard to have something quick and easy, invariably something that I can eat on the run :oops: , like a banana, yoghurt or fruit smoothie. Gives me more energy and cuts out on the mid-morning snacking :wink:

Ok

Fish and chips for lunch

Mel, I don't think you've quite caught on to the spirit of this :shock::):)

Are you sure :?:doh:

Now that I am trying to lose weight I am eating breakfast (either ceral or toast) - other wise I go into work and straight to whatever biscuits / cakes are there :oops: My main problem is that if I eat at 5am when I get up I am ready for my lunch about 11am and as I dont get home till 6 / 7 and dont eat until about 7.30 I feel like I am falling over! (so go straight to the peanut jar / crisps / cheese :oops: )

I am sure eating breakfast will help you lose weight, so well done! I eat half my sandwiches at 11am and the rest at 1pm, and fruit snacks at regular intervals during the morning, I find that helps me get through the afternoon. My office is full of sweets and cakes and I actually don't bother with them most of the time, just if someone brings doughnuts in :oops:. Could you make a healthy snack to eat at about 3pm to keep you going till teatime?

Good idea

I am doing well so far (well, we're only into day 3.........!) but last night I was craving something sweet and rather than raid the sweetie jar I had a handful of raisens :angel:

I never take a packed lunch - we seldom have any leftovers, I don't have access to a fridge during the day, and the place available for eating packed lunches in our university site is horrible. And if I go to the cafe I can get a good coffee, and toasted sandwiches taste so much better!

Sometimes I even go out for lunch when I'm at home. There's a great little cafe 1 minute away, where I can get a brilliant mixed salad for £3.50 and read their newspaper for free!

Packed lunch for me (& Paul) - with Paul being coelliac he doesnt have the option to buy sandwiches

If I am in the office I might take in soup / something similar for a change and I try and avoid the chocolate cakes / donuts / biscuits that our team seem to bring in every day (I dont always manage :oops: )

Hi Mel..I just wondered if (&Paul) :lol: misses bread or if he manages to find things he likes.

we stock quite a decent range of gluten free products in Aubergine as my boss is a coelliac too....Let me know if you ever want anything posted out won't you!

my lunch depends on my dinner the night before!

i eat my lunch from a 1/2pint kilner jar

if i had rice, I add some veg to it and take it in cold.

if i had pasta I take in left over cold pasta, which gets mixed with tuna, sweetcorn and mayo

anything like curry / spag bol gets eaten cold inside a tortilla wrap/ pitta.

otherwise I take in cold couscous (just pour boiling water over couscous inside the kilner jar. by the time i get to work its cooked). or coleslaw and salad :)

oh.. and if im at home..... homemade soup

Mmmm

Hmmm, I eat little and often.

Breakfast: Usually Special K with chopped strawberries, blueberries and semi-scummed organic milk. Drink about 3/4 pint of water

Pint of water in between and perhaps 2 mugs of de-caff tea

Lunch: Go home for lunch, depends on what I have in the fridge, but usually a salad with either mackerel or chicken. Sometimes home-made soup instead. Big glass of fruit smoothie

Another pintof water and another mug of tea.

Supper: Don't eat much in the evening as I don't have the time and it doesn't suit my digestion, so egg on toast at the most, or a banana perhaps. Glass of fruit juice

My problem is that we have loads of goodies at work, which I often can't help eating :oops::roll:

Hmmm, I eat little and often.

Breakfast: Usually Special K with chopped strawberries, blueberries and semi-scummed organic milk. Drink about 3/4 pint of water

Pint of water in between and perhaps 2 mugs of de-caff tea

Lunch: Go home for lunch, depends on what I have in the fridge, but usually a salad with either mackerel or chicken. Sometimes home-made soup instead. Big glass of fruit smoothie

Another pintof water and another mug of tea.

Supper: Don't eat much in the evening as I don't have the time and it doesn't suit my digestion, so egg on toast at the most, or a banana perhaps. Glass of fruit juice

My problem is that we have loads of goodies at work, which I often can't help eating :oops::roll:

I used to like Special K until I discovered how much sugar is in it :shock: Did you know there's actually less sugar in frosties?!