Patricia W

do red kites eat chickens ??

This morning the chickens were bok-bok- boking for at least half an hour - very loudly (they free range all day every day) which is unusual. I went out to them several times and they quietened down but started again when I went in. I thought it was simply egg-announcing as there were 2 eggs about an hour later.

But this afternoon a neighbour came over and asked if I'd seen the red kite circling overhead. We worked out it was about the time the chickens appeared unsettled.

Coincidence?? Anyone had any experience of red kites? We are south of Oxford and they are moving up from the Chilterns. Absolutely beautiful birds.

When I googled them it says they prefer carrion but do catch small animals and birds....

Should I worry??

Tricia

I think I heared that chicks can get taken by red Kites.

My friend up in the Orkney's had problems with birds of prey with them taking her chicks .

Not sure about adult birds would think unlikely unless small breeds

Mags

Red Kites take carrion, not live animals. A chicken would be too big, too much hassle. But it doesn't hurt to hang up a few CDs - it apparently reflects up like a giant eye to circling birds.

We have a red kite regularly circling and although I do get a little nervous (can't help it) he has never come close. There is plenty of 'dead meat' out there...

I found this on teh countryside alliance for ireland site. The questions were asked around the reintroduction of red kites to ireland...

"Is the red kite a threat to livestock, game birds or other wildlife?

The red kite is a scavenger, taking a wide range of animal food items including invertebrates, mammals and birds. This broad diet allows the species to occupy a wide range of habitats. Live prey, such as small mammals and medium sized birds (e.g. crows and pigeons) can be important in late spring, and rabbits continue to be taken through until the autumn. Many studies have demonstrated that rabbit is the most important mammalian prey item. Active hunting of mammals is very unusual. Earthworms and beetles are exploited, particularly outside the breeding season. Waste from refuse tips is taken in late autumn and winter, and sheep carrion in upland areas taken during its peak availability between February and April.

The red kite is not designed to feed on mobile prey and is absolutely no threat to livestock or game birds. It is also no threat to songbirds like the yellowhammer or song thrush; it does not depredate these species in other part of Europe where they are abundant."

You could always contact the people at gigrin farm who were one of the original sites. Nice people as well...

http://www.gigrin.co.uk/

Only if they are already dead - as the others have said, they are carrion feeders, not hunters.

Hens will be naturally scared of anything flying overhead - it's just instinct; mine cower when we get hot air balloons going over!

mine cower at blackbirds!!! :lol:

A red kite came and killed one of my pet chickens today.  Always thought this was unlikely to happen.  The kite has been present in the area for a few months.  The kite got caught up trying to escape from underneath the apple tree before fleeing.  All chickens were absolutely petrified and one had a broken neck and the kite had begun to eat her.  Just thought i'd post this to make others aware.  RIP Snowflake :-(