The Dogmother

Claret's chicks

I just gave the chicks some meal worms and they were so funny that I was cackling out loud at their antics. Lavinia made really excited chip-chip noises to get their attention, then the chicks each grabbed a meal worm and raced back into the Eglu to hide away and eat them - they went absolutely beserk. Mummy must have special noises for difefrent types of food.

I will take some more pix tonight or this weekend as the chicks are growing fast and starting to feather up now. There's no more catching them for a quick cuddle either :roll::(

True Choccy, Lavinia is only a small pekin bantam, so Herbert certainly will be much bigger than her when he/it is fully grown (but then he is going back to Aunty Lesley). Bit and Bob should be a bit bigger, but not a lot. Looking at the wing feathers, I wonder whether both of the barnie chicks are female, as they are both showing the laced pattern thet Lesley's hens have.

I am soooo enjoying raising chicks :D Hopefully if one of the girls goes broody again next year, we might be able to hatch some more, but all for Lesley this time as I will be full to capacity - that's unless the mark 3 comes out before then *yawns* :roll:

True Choccy, Lavinia is only a small pekin bantam, so Herbert certainly will be much bigger than her when he/it is fully grown (but then he is going back to Aunty Lesley). Bit and Bob should be a bit bigger, but not a lot. Looking at the wing feathers, I wonder whether both of the barnie chicks are female, as they are both showing the laced pattern thet Lesley's hens have.

I am soooo enjoying raising chicks :D Hopefully if one of the girls goes broody again next year, we might be able to hatch some more, but all for Lesley this time as I will be full to capacity - that's unless the mark 3 comes out before then *yawns* :roll:

I would love to see the look on Lavinia's face when she wakes up one day and realises that maybe Herbert isn't hers. :?:lol:

I so want Su to go broody again (apart from the fact she was really cute and easy to handle for once). I want little chicks :roll:

Hope there is a girl Barnevelder.... :?

Well, here's the latest update; Herbert is now a big fellow, with enormous wings that look like he bought them at a carboot sale and stuck them on, he is moulting his fluff like mad, so between him and Lavinia they are filling the run with feathers.

The Barnie twins are progressing nicely, although not as fast as Herbert. They are sprouting wing feathers and are growing but are stil half the size of him.

All of them can now flap up on top of the water pot and can perch on things. They love meal worms too. Using Lesley's theory, we think that Herbert is a boy and that at least one of the barnies is a girl. The barnies are different sizes and the smaller one has much less developed wing feathers, so it's hard to tell at this stage.

Here are some piccies:

Barnie under Mummy

barnieundermummy.jpg

The two barnie twins

Twobarnies.jpg

Two scruffy chooks

Twoscruffychickens.jpg

Herbert's not at his most attractive at the moment, in fact he's only marginally more attractive than Lesley's turkeys

UglyHerbert.jpg

Scruffy Herbert doing the goose step

whatanuglyboy.jpg

(look at the size of those wings :shock: )

Lovely pics Clare, posted a family one in my blog as I have posted our 2 new additions and Buffs latest pic.

I'd love to do this next year. We do have room for 2 in our eglu but my concern is the separation aspect. Well done Clare and Lavinia, of course!!!

BBxx