Aunty e

Fox Harassing Chooks

We're being bothered by a fox early in the mornings. He managed to pull feathers out of Dolly a couple of weeks ago, and he really upsets the girls. I shut the door now to encourage them to stay in until morning (they like midnight snacking and that's when he comes) but he came at seven this morning. Not only worried about poor scared chooks and cross neighbours (and the fact I DO not function on disturbed sleep) but Chick can get it's little head through bars, and I wonder that something horrible might happen. Any ideas? I'm going to try and knock something up to lock Chick and Penny in at nights this evening, but apart from a foxwatch (which I'm not sure would help as the garden is so small and people walk past the fence so much, not to mention all the pigeons). I though about asking the council to come and trap them, but not sure it will be an ideal situation. Also not keen to explain that I want them gone to keep my chickens safe.

Hmmm, dilemma there auntye :? I'd be inclined to call the council, unless keeping hens is against your deeds.

I have put boards against the bottom of my run to stop the silly chicks poking their heads through.

Rabluwithboards.jpg

The kitten is sitting there licking his lips, just waiting for them to do it, so it was the kindest thing to do.

Chick can get it's little head through bars, and I wonder that something horrible might happen. Any ideas?

I bought some cheap pleastic black mesh from my garden centre - I actually bought it to stop the chickens getting behind the shed etc-just stapled it on-fab....it is almost invisible, hard wearing and chicken proof. it is actually for climbing plants and comes on a roll like cloth-you order by the metre for a few quid. it would be ideal for covering the eglu - you could make it to fit prefectly and even cover the door.

I think you'll find that your local council will not take action against foxes. Oxford City Council certainly won't, and when I reported the fox in my garden who killed my chicken last week, they sent me a leaflet about foxes, telling me that "Many members of the public are pleased to see foxes in their neighbourhood and may actively encourage them by putting out food." It warns me that "a control campaign may be costly and prolonged and provoke much public antagonism".

So I think that we have to take action to stop the fox getting our chickens. I am making it difficult for a fox to get near my Eglu.

I've got a fox watch, hooked up to the mains, so it doesn't matter if its going off all the time, as the batteries won't run down. Its really not audible to humans, so its not disturbing in any way.

I would also recommend the thin guage mesh all the way around up to chicken head height so your girls can't stick their heads through!

Good luck!