Lesley

Chickens for eating - NOT for the squeamish!

I feel very strange just writing about it after being veggie for so long and still being 'veggie' when away from home - I'm stuck for a description really!

I still cart corn cobs around to any BBQ we're invited to!

The chickens we get this time will be four weeks old because we are not set up to care for fluffy chicks at this time of year and we can only control what they eat from the point we acquire them but if it goes well we will have day-olds next spring.

Of course - if one of ours goes broody............. :D

Thank you all for your thoughts 8)

Hope it all goes ok. Wish you lived closer, I'd have a regular order in for a bird. Sad, I know but I'm not in the least bit squeamish. I used to work for a gun company in London and would regularly be seen on the train with a large dark green carrier bag with feathers sticking out! They have an estate in Devon and any of the bag not taken by the guns would come back to the offices and the staff could have them. Best pheasant I ever had!

Keep us posted, Lesley!

Helen.

I think I'm there already; the cheeky 23 yr old who works for me keeps muttering about senior moments when i do something silly and reminds me that I am the same age as her mum - talk about slappable!

Lesley - I'd really love to have one of your chooks. My mother remembers keeping rabbits and chooks for food in the war and still waxes on about he flavour and traceability of the meat. My Grandpa was Italian and very matter of fact about despatching the animals and preparing them. I'm not sure that I could be the same.

I must PM you when I get home and look at my calendar and we must meet up for that cuppa at the Herb centre (I think that Buffster wanted to come too). Then we can hear all about it and I will be sure to place an order for any surplus birds you have.

Good on yer

We collected new little babies this morning - 6 girls and 6 boys. The girls are better feathered than the boys at the moment. They look like refugees from a battery farm at the moment but only until their feathers have grown.

It is a bit daunting :? 2005_1006SundayLunch0003.thumb.jpg

Lesley, they do look sweet :)

I'm really interested in this thread, it sounds like a great wat of ensuring that the chickens have a wonderful life and that you produce fantastic meat for yourselves, I love the idea :) Not sure that I could do it myself though. Huge respect to you for going for it.