Ness3103

Layers pellets or mash?

i've just bought a bag of layers mash and am now panicking thinking i needed the layers pellets :oops: the chooks don't arrive til next week but i wanted to get things ready so i'm not running round trying to get everything with my twins in tow :) will it matter? are the pellets better? oh isn't happy cos i now have 2 huge packs of hemcore and a large bag of chicken food in the front room :whistle: i was going to put it in the shed and hope he wouldn't notice but all the wood for my wir was delivered and put in front of the shed so i can't open the door :wall:

ex-batts are often fed crumb or mash so I'm sure it'll be fine. I started my ex-batts on mash and slowly added pellets to their feeder to 'ween' them off the mash. (I had a 'flinger' of food :roll: ) They then happliy ate pellets and left the mash. You could always buy a small bag of pellets as a mixer?

(Right up until amonth ago - now mash is the best thing ever for all my chooks and they won't touch the pellets! - Same for my mums chooks too! Fickle things)

I fed my girls on mash and they loved it.

I read on one website that you can liken pellets to eating sugar in cubes and mash to licking your finger and sticking it in a sugar bowl!!

It's much more satisfying for them to eat mash as it keeps them occupied and stimulated. It also means they can throw it all on the floor and scratch about in it - a favourite habbit of my brood!!! :)

thank you i was so worried i'd got the wrong thing :oops: i'm getting myself in a right old pickle and dread to think what i'm going to be like when they finally get here :lol:

Don't worry the mash will be OK.

I fed my girls pellets for the first year. Then all of a sudden they all went on hunger strike and would not eat them (I hadn't changed brands they were just being contrary). So I bought a bag of mash (which is really only powdered pelletss) and the loved it. But I have to say it does make more mess than pellets and I went back to pellets by mixing them with the mash as soon as I could as I found pellets easier.

So use up the mash, it is the same nutritionally, and when you get down to a third left in the sack, maybe get some pellets and mix them in.

I fed my girls pellets for the first year. Then all of a sudden they all went on hunger strike and would not eat them (I hadn't changed brands they were just being contrary). So I bought a bag of mash (which is really only powdered pelletss) and the loved it.

How funny, we had precisely the same experience. My girls too went on hunger strike and wouldn't eat the pellets. We bought a new bag thinking the old bag may have got damp or something (although we couldn't see how) but they wouldn't eat the new stuff either.

We got mash and they never looked back. It is a bit more messy but our girls tipped it out onto the floor then ate it all anyway, so I didn't mind too much and we stuck with it to the end.

They're funny creatures!! :lol:

I'm new to this whole chicken experience like Ness getting mine end of June. My intention is to start them off on whatever feed they are used to with their breeder, but I'm going to buy in both pellets and mash to give them some variation.

Sandie Foster - you don't have to mix mash with water - just give them as is but I hear many chooks do like it with the warm water to make it into a porridge, particularly on a cold day, so I'm sure I'll be trying that at some point!

It's best to put mash in a more solid bowl as it's more messy for them to eat and they can knock the bowl over in their eagnerness - I'm going to use a spaniel dog bowl although I'm sure my Cavalier King Charles Spaniels will be less than impressed!

I now have one grub with pellets in and one grub with dry mash in.

I used to mix the two together but my little cherubs would hoik out all the pellets to get to the mash - very wasteful! So now they can pick and choose what type they want. :roll:

Hi, im :? i hear organic food is better for my girls, and they like the mash better ,tho have 2 grubs so they can have a choice, they do eat both. But very :? when i put a search in for organic mash i cant find it any where on the net or in any of my local shops....... is mash not organic :!: , the only other food other than organic pellets i have found is organic `Crumbs` which looks like it is for chicks and is not as fine... i am feeding my girls on a mash from my local pet shop, they love it, so guess its not a problem, but would like to no if there is such a thing as organic mash :?

Thanks ness :) .... i have seen meal but was not sure if it was the same :roll: will take a peek at your web site :dance:

i found this website

http://www.organicfeed.co.uk/Products/Organic-Poultry-Feeds/Layers-Pellets-and-Meal.aspx

i'm sure meal is the same as mash :) my supplier can order in the organic for me which is what i'm going to do in future. my girls love the mash although they didn't seem too keen when i made the porridge for them :(

I fed my girls pellets for the first year. Then all of a sudden they all went on hunger strike and would not eat them (I hadn't changed brands they were just being contrary). So I bought a bag of mash (which is really only powdered pelletss) and the loved it.

How funny, we had precisely the same experience. My girls too went on hunger strike and wouldn't eat the pellets. We bought a new bag thinking the old bag may have got damp or something (although we couldn't see how) but they wouldn't eat the new stuff either.

We got mash and they never looked back. It is a bit more messy but our girls tipped it out onto the floor then ate it all anyway, so I didn't mind too much and we stuck with it to the end.

They're funny creatures!! :lol:

exactly the same with us too :D