atsw

Chick with dislocated legs (pics)

We watching over some newly hatching chicks for friends in the village (see this thread). One of the chicks that hatched around 48hrs ago seems to have something wrong with his/her legs, and looks like it's doing 'the splits' all the time. It can pull one leg under itself if it tries, but the other leg always sticks out.

splat1.jpg

As a comparison, the chick in the photo below was hatched at 4:00am this morning, and looks exactly as you would expect.

splat2.jpg

Anyone got any suggestions? It's almost as if the legs are dislocated, so we're wondering if we should strap them up? If there's no hope of a happy chook life, them we'll need to do the deed sooner rather than later, but I thought it worth posting first.

Andrew

When I was on the farm we would help chicks with splayed legs by strapping them together using a plaster cut in half length ways. Wrap one end around one leg, use the pad as a spacer (3/4") and then wrap the other end around the other leg. The farmers wife would stay with the chick for about an hour after the plaster went on as they could get a little frantic as they had to learn a new way to walk. Most of them got the idea quite quickly and the plaster could be removed after 3-4 days.

Just remember that if you splin their legs you need to keep an eye on them as if they flip and get stuck on their back they will not be able to feed or drink.

Also try adding some kind of grippy base to the brooder......like the rubber grippy mat stuff you can get for shelves/drawers and tool kits?

Also try adding some kind of grippy base to the brooder......like the rubber grippy mat stuff you can get for shelves/drawers and tool kits?

Well spotted Em! the cardboard is too slippy for them, either a thicker layer of aubiose or something non slip would be better such as rubber, j cloths, kitchen roll or corrugated cardboard

Steri-strips work quite well too.

Never thought of that.

We have a medicine draw full of bandages, tape + dressings etc (Moms a nurse), but I used all the steri strips when I cut my finger :roll: Have to get some more :lol:

I always use sewing thread or micropore tape
I was going to suggest micropore aswell. Bit easier to get off without hurting the chick.
We did actually use micropore tape, and it was easy to apply and did a great job.

Sadly though, we lost "Splat", as we called her, on Tuesday. The legs were doing well, but she wasn't really eating or drinking properly and certainly wasn't growing as you would expect. During the same period the other little chap shown in the pictures above got noticeably bigger, almost seeming to doubled in size during the same period! As you can see from the picture below, he's now in with the first two chicks and all three are well on their way to becoming full-grown chickens :dance:.

chicks3.jpg

So, although we lost Splat, the other three are all doing fine, which means it's not a sad ending really.

Andrew