girlsmum Posted June 8, 2009 Share Posted June 8, 2009 Hi hope you can help me. I have just done a manicure and pedicure course as well as learning how to apply acrylic and gel nail extensions. Does anyone on the forum have these treatments or have friends and family who do? just want to know what is popular eg file and polish, manicure, luxury manicure etc? Have got some price lists from local salons to give me an idea what to charge but i would like your views please. Thanks Girlsmum Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 8, 2009 Share Posted June 8, 2009 I do but in Essex there are at least 3 Vietnames nail bars on every high street. My "Essex girl" nails are pink and white acrylics which I have to get the infills done for every 2/3 weeks and that costs me £22 a pop. The cheaper airbrushed ones only cost £15 for infills. I have had them done at my regular salon only to find that they chip and break within the week although they cost more. I'm never very happy with the paint job I get there either. I do get my tonails done their still as a nail shape and polish costs just £9 There is an interesting article on nail bars here with a price list from various places at the end. http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article418316.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 8, 2009 Share Posted June 8, 2009 I used to have extensions done regularly, but it got a bit expensive so I bought a kit and did them myself! Not much help to you I'm afraid! A few of the Mums in my toddler group get theirs done reglarly - mainly extensions and maintenance and fancy polishes. Good luck with it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted June 8, 2009 Share Posted June 8, 2009 I've never had false nails done but do love a manicure and pedicure when I can afford it and can find the time. I just wish I could find someone who did reflexology and manicures/pedicures. Good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tiggerlady Posted June 8, 2009 Share Posted June 8, 2009 abwsco, have you enquired at your local college as if they do beauty and holistic therapy they will probably have a salon when the students train.You can get treatments very reasonably... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted June 8, 2009 Share Posted June 8, 2009 Lots of girls at work have false acrylic nails, it drives me mad hearing clickity clacking on the computer keyboards in stereo Not much help sorry! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted June 8, 2009 Share Posted June 8, 2009 abwsco, have you enquired at your local college as if they do beauty and holistic therapy they will probably have a salon when the students train.You can get treatments very reasonably... I keep forgetting to Have asked DD's friend who is training there, and just came 2nd in a competition in London this weekend, but she said she didn't know anyone who did. I'm going to go tomorrow. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tiggerlady Posted June 8, 2009 Share Posted June 8, 2009 Good luck with it..let us know wont you..if you can still speak after being chilled out after a treatment Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 The only time I have ever had a manicure and pedicure was for a ball just before I was going in to hospital for a major op. I reasoned that it was the only time a manicure would survive as I would be doing no housework/gardening/chicken cleaning for a few weeks I was disappointed to discover I'd have to remove my nailvarnish before the op But it did make me wonder if there was a market for a mobile nail technician doing manicures for patients in hospital Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 I have acrylics and pay £20 for infills every 2 - 3 weeks. However if I had nice, natural nails, I would just have a manicure and paint. Regarding pedicures, I do tend to have them in the summer if I get round to it, but don't bother in the winter. Good luck. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 The only time I have ever had a manicure and pedicure was for a ball just before I was going in to hospital for a major op. I reasoned that it was the only time a manicure would survive as I would be doing no housework/gardening/chicken cleaning for a few weeks I was disappointed to discover I'd have to remove my nailvarnish before the op But it did make me wonder if there was a market for a mobile nail technician doing manicures for patients in hospital When I had an op on my shoulder, I was told in the pre thingy, nail varnish and acrylics had to be removed, as apparently when under, they check your nail beds to see if you're alive! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 That's right...if they go blue, you are in trouble. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 I love a decent pedicure and I find that as I've got older, a little thicker round the middle a little less supple and more far sighted somebody else doing my toes makes a better job of it. Also it's lovely to have one's feet soaked massaged and unguents applied. Ahhhhhhhh heaven When I lived in london a few friends and I used to have a monthly meet where we all got our feet done at one or others' houses, had dinner and a few glasses of fizz. It was wonderful :P I reckon a regular pedicure party would go down a treat Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 I used to have it acrylics done fairly regularly. The vietnemese shop that did my first ones though were terrible and I ended up with a manky nail. I then used another salon and they were much better. But in the end, I had had my nails filled the day before, did a bit of gardening and one pinged off. That was the end for me and I've never bothered again. I've had normal manicures and pedicures since and I love them. I only have them a couple of times a year though. Good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 That's right...if they go blue, you are in trouble. I thought I might get away with clear varnish but on balance felt it was better they picked up if I stopped breathing Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
girlsmum Posted June 9, 2009 Author Share Posted June 9, 2009 Thanks for the replies. I am a holistic therapist and have been for 4 years . Reflexology is my most requested treatment but business has gone so quiet i need to move into the beauty side of things where there seems to be more money to be made. I like the idea of pamper parties offering manicure pedicure or short holistics. May look into that. I'm mobile so have to take alot of kit around with me - hence asking what is popular. Girlsmum Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 I used to have acrylic nails done regularly, plus maintenance, infills, nail art etc. I then had some inverted nail system ones done - they were the best & the strongest - but a real pig to soak off. False nails ruined my nails - only now after nearly 2 years they back to normal. These days I just have paint jobs done occassionally - I can do all types of nail art myself - did a course. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted June 9, 2009 Share Posted June 9, 2009 It's amazing what you can do these days. I am amazed at how natural they look! My step daughter who got married a few weeks ago had eyelash extensions. I thought ..."for heaven's sake what next " Stuck on lash by lash ... whatever next? BUT they looked wonderful ... much better than the furry things we stuck on with white eyelash glue in the sixties and seventies. At least they didn't end up half way down your cheek the next morning Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Happy-Mama Posted June 10, 2009 Share Posted June 10, 2009 I used to get acrylic (sp) nails cost £40 to get them done the first time then £23 for infills and i think £28 for a rebalance, but had to stop getting them done as was too expensive and time consuming having to travel there etc. it didn't damage my nails though thankfully and now i just file and paint them myself. I would still consider doing it again for a special occasion as they do really look lovely Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted June 10, 2009 Share Posted June 10, 2009 I cant have mega long nails as I would impale my patients. several yrs back i got some false ones from a well known chemist before our greek holiday. they looked fab , but then floated off one by one in the pool. i wonder what the pool guy thought in the eveenings when he cleaned with his net thing Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 I had a pedicure before going on hols a few weeks ago, it was lovely & cost £20 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 A pedicure & foot massage - I really would pay for. Nice soft feet & painted toes show you have a bit of pride. So many people neglect their feet. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Yorkshire Pudding Posted June 11, 2009 Share Posted June 11, 2009 A pedicure & foot massage - I really would pay for. Nice soft feet & painted toes show you have a bit of pride. So many people neglect their feet. Emma.x I would go for that too - I don't worry too much about my hands, because they're constantly in and out of water/solvents/soil/feed/hay etc., so no manicure ever lasts long, and I don't really 'do' coloured polish on my fingers, just makes my old-looking hands look older! On my toes though, that's a different matter and has a chance of lasting longer than a few seconds before I ruin it! I have an OH who can't stand feet, so I've no chance of a foot massage any other way - when I was very pregnant and couldn't reach my own feet , he couldn't bring himself to help me cut my toenails. I haven't forgiven him yet! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted June 12, 2009 Share Posted June 12, 2009 That's right...if they go blue, you are in trouble. Ahh! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted June 12, 2009 Share Posted June 12, 2009 I'm hoping the birthday fairy brings me vouchers for a pedicure- bliss, & a manicure. I don't do acrylics, I have no idea how they would feel. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...