aqualiv

compost bins

Yes we have a compost bin. We just slide out the eglu droppings tray and s"Ooops, word censored!"e it in - its so easy and chicken poo is great for compost. We put used straw in as well but i dunno whether we are suposed to!

Also any veg peelings the chickens don't eat. (thats not many OH went to the back of the garden to put some peelings in the compost bin the other day and had 3 chickens following right behind him - it was like the pied piper!) also i think you can put a certain amount of weeds, cut grass in etc but i'm no expert - i'm sure someone will come along who is soon! But a big YES to the chicken droppings!

I dont put veg s"Ooops, word censored!"s in as we have a resident rat.

I put them in my wormery or Bokashi bins.

I must admit that since I stopped putting veg in the bin, I haven't spotted the rat face to face so to speak, but I think he is still arround as there are tunnels in the compost bin.

Don't make the mistakes I did - putting whole potatoes in the compost bins results in loads MORE potatoes :doh: and try not to put too many grass cuttings in at once as when they rot they don't have any air spaces so don't compost properly (and stink) apparently putting screwed up newspaper in with them helps.....

.....and by all accounts you can wee in the compost too - unless my boyfriend has been lying to me and it is just one of his many wierd habits! :?:shock:

If you win Buffie's raffle at Jimmy's Farm you may win a pair of signed Omlet pants - you may be tempted to pop these on the compost if they haven't been freshly laundered :wink::lol:

See threads "The New Bond" and "Christmas at Jimmy's Farm"

i've got three compost bins! The secret is in the right mix of 'brown' and 'green' things. Green things are grass clippings and veg peelings, brown things are stuff like paper and straw. So, you put layers where possible, a few inches thick. And it's even better if you can turn them over every so often to let more air in. Composting works by using bacteria to rot everything down and getting the right mix makes the best rotting conditions (it has to be aerobic - why do i have the kind of mind that knows this?)

Don't put any cooked food in (it attracts rats) or weed seeds or roots (most home composts aren't hot enough to kill them) and when it smells nice put it on the garden. Even if you get the mix fairly wrong it will rot eventually, but don't fill it up with autumn leaves - they rot differently.

That's all there is to it - get those chickens pooing (and yes, the pee does help) :lol::lol::lol: