chelsea

Anyone with experience in arthritis in dogs *another update*

She has to go back to the vets tomorrow. OH spoke to the vets tonight for an overall update on how she is doing. We explained the last 48 hours she has been very perky, eating well, drinking etc. Vet surprised us by saying "her hips are terrible" :shock: this is the same vet she saw 2 weeks ago who examined her and she has been attending the same practice since she was a pup (10 years ago).

2 weeks ago there was no sign of any hip problem and she was a very active dog who would run for England on her walks in the field.

He then went on to say he is slightly worried it may be something to do with her pancreas :anxious: but I cannot understand how pancreatic and hip problem symptoms would be the same??? :anxious:

Very puzzled. :?

Vets can often feel a 'grating' around the hips during examination or in really bad cases of hip dysplasia they can actually feel the hips popping in and out of joint. A definative diagnois is usually made after xrays. Pancreatitis can cause strange symptoms like dogs lying in what is called the praying position which is front legs out and bum in the air. This can make them quite unwell.

Hip Dysplasia

http://www.vetontheweb.co.uk/pet-clinic-detail.asp?id=203

Pancreatitis

http://www.vetontheweb.co.uk/pet-clinic-detail.asp?id=213

Thanks so much Chuckymama :D

She has just returned from the vet and he is taking her off all medication for a few days to see how she goes.....he did a thorough examination of the hips/legs (no mention of "terrible hips" today :? ) and he has almost ruled out the pancreas problem because she is acting normally (eating, drinking, normal stools and has no discomfort in the abdomen when pressed).

So we wait and see! She does like to puzzle us :D

Hope she is doing fine - the tramadol can affect their stomach and we have had dogs affected in that way and so as it is a human drug they are better on an animal one and the tramadol is quite strong and the Metacam or Rimadyl/Norocarp(which is cheaper than Rimadyl) are dog medications and can be reduced to suit the animal there is also Prednoleucotropin tablets (PLT) for arthritis too and they can be very useful and my own dog whom I lost last year had been on Metacam for a long time and then on PLT for years = she was over 14 when I lost her - a labrador - she was on a low dose too.

Just to update on this.

Bracken has spent the whole day at the vets as she had a bit of a funny turn last night... to cut a long story short the vets think it was due to her hips (maybe strained herself or jarred herself). Anyway she has had ultra sound and xrays done as they thought the tumour may have reappeared, luckily no sign of any growths :dance: heart, kidneys and liver all ok.

So far she has done amazingly well on the glucosamine tablets & magnetic collar combination (I highly recommend magnetic collars btw) but now the vet thinks she should go on Metacam, vet is aware of my reservations but insists even her twelve year old dog is on it so it is safe. :anxious:

We also have to go back in one month to have her spleen checked, vet ever so slightly worried it may be enlarged so if it is bigger when we go back she will have to have it removed.

All in all - a little worrying, yet slightly relieved she is home and the growth hasn't returned. :)

Of course you are worried, what loving mummy wouldn't be! It does sound like good advise from your Vet though. If you don't keep the inflammation down with Metacam she will be in some pain. You can always look at reducing it maybe depending on how they think she is responding. The glucosamine and collar can keep things at bay for a while but there does come the point when you have to put them on something stronger to keep them comfortable in times of greater need for pain relief. Some dogs really seem to feel this damp weather.

Another update:

Vet rang with more blood test results last night. She wants to remove the spleen, so it's coming out next Thursday :anxious: She assures me this is the right thing to do as long term it could rupture. Apparently very common in GSD's?? :think: ....

I hate putting her through more surgery seeing as she's 10, but I don't want her to be a ticking time bomb either.

It's so hard knowing what to do for the best. :cry:

The tumour she had removed at the beginning of this year was on her ovaries and they removed the mass and her ovaries.

The ultrasound or xray (not sure which) showed a slight enlargement of the spleen and they were going to monitor her initially. But when the blood tests came back on Monday this week it shows she is a little anemic, and vet thinks this is possibly due to a mass in the spleen causing low blood count.

Can't remember what other words she used :think: she did comment jokingly "German Shepherd's should have their spleens removed from birth" (as it was common ailment to her) and that cysts could appear or the spleen could enlarge further and rupture. (or something along those lines). :?

Thanks for your reply Rachel.

Hi

Just caught up with this thread. :roll:

I hope everything is going ok

My older dog (who is 11) suffers from arthritic hips and we used Metacam for her. My vet suggested changing her diet to Hill Science diet JD. This is a diet that has huge quantities of glucosame and other beneficial oils in the diet. We did change her diet and gradually weaned her off Metacam. That was 3 years ago and she has not hobbled or needed Metacam since.

Have a look at it and you can buy it cheaper through the internet (Vets uk is good). :D

sue

Both my dogs are on synoquin joint supplement, sometimes the old lady she's 12 needs something stronger so she gets rymadil or metacam with no ill effects. I have evry sympathy with her I get arthritis in my right thumb when it's cold so I am on glucosamine and codliver oil tablets.

I hope your dogs op goes OK and that she is OK with her athritis don't be afraid to give her prescription meds it's better than being in pain. Our dog is a Border Collie and the only way we know she is suffering more than usual is that she groans quietly when she goes to lie down so we know it's time to up her meds.