feemcg

New Job!

What a day! - I started a new job in Residential Child Care. After over 20 years as a midwife and practice nurse, I had to give up hands-on nursing last year because of a skin condition. After a spell 'off sick' then some time as a 'lady of leisure' it was time to get back to work - Oh my goodness, I have so much to learn in this field (I feel another degree coming on!) I've worked a lot in family planning and youth sexual health but have no experience with behavioural issues/aggression.. Its a lovely big purpose built house and the children move in over the next couple of weeks so I'm very excited but nervous too. Does anyone else work in ths field?

Well done on the job :D

No experience in residential childcare I'm afraid :? but I work with low ability, and SEN teenagers in a high school, so know a little about the aggression and behaviour issues :roll: although under the skin of most of them is a little lost person trying to stay hidden :(

It sounds like a fantastic set up, although it's a shame they need it in the first place :(

karen x

Thank you all for the good wishes. We had a big meeting today and discussed some of the children that are coming in. Of course we all hear about cases of neglect in the news etc. but when you hear about 'real' cases that you are going to be involved in personally its such an eye-opener. I do hope I can have a positive influence in some aspect of their lives.

Well done Fee. I'm sure you'll be fine - these kids need all the help they can get. Do you have children? My only problem working with children is trying to stay objective. It's hard not to get so involved that it ends up draining you and leaving you burnt out. I work at the other end - in Occupational Health, picking up the pieces of those who get too involved and care too much (teachers as well as nurses!) Sorry to sound negative, but as long as you are aware of that you'll be OK.

Wishing you all the best!! :clap:

I have 3 daughters Snowy and yes, I have, in the past become too emotionally involved - filthy babies brought in for immunisation that I'd have loved to take home and bath, treating a screaming toddler with a blister covering the whole palm of his hand - because his mum had held it on the cooker ring!

Hi Fee - it sounds really exciting - I used to love setting up new services (which yours sounds like) - great to have an opportunity to get it right (if such a thing is possible!)

I've returned to study twice, firstly to do my social work qualification, and now (15 or so years later) to do jewellery and silversmithing! I wasn't really into child care work though - very challenging. Did meet OH while doing a placement in a child protection team though, and he's still in the field, so do feel free to PM me if you have particular issues you want to check out.

Do keep your mind open about new study too - and see if your employers will pay for it. Studying whilst doing related work is really good - otherwise when you're really busy it can be hard to step back and think!

Thanks Annie, today was great as we welcomed the first two kids into the house so got to chat to them - a 15 year old boy who knows the 'system' well! and a 14 year old girl, accommodated under a 21 day warrent for assaulting her alcoholic mother.

Christine, I may need to take you up on that offer - I have lots to learn!

Hi Kate A, funnily enough I had already been looking for a new job before my skin flared up so it kind of forced my hand - to pardon the pun, I developed cellulitis in my right hand with a resulting lymphoedema.

Sorry Emma, didn't get your pm.

Blimey Fee. sorry to hear that...I have had several bouts of that in my legs (due to having severe psorasis on my feet where the infection gets in)

its very nasty isnt it?...my doctor has kept me on a low dose of penicillin to keep the beasty bugs getting in.

Glad the job is going well :D

Christine, I may need to take you up on that offer - I have lots to learn!

They say that when you start a new job stage one is 'unconcious incomptence', then you move to 'concious incompetence', so you moving pretty fast, Fee!

I'm sure that 'unconcious competence' and 'concious competence' will follow soon! :lol::lol::lol: