chocchick

Gum swollen -advice?

My wisdom teeth are coming through for the umpteenth time and it is very sore this time. My gum has swollen all round it, my jaw won't open properly and even my throat and the gland nearby are a bit sore.

Any advice?

Is this something you would see a dentist/doctor about? Or give it a few days? Do they need you to open your jaw properly? I've been taking painkillers, using bonjela and tried a salt mouthwash but it's not entirely successful :cry: It seems to go worse late at night and in the morning, I could eat solid food by the afternoon yesterday, but now opening my mouth to eat yoghurt or swallow tablets hurts although my jaw's loosening a little with time :cry:

I had the same too but i have to say they came through just fine in the end.....I can't remember what i used for the pain although i recall all the symptoms you have mentioned i think it's just a wait and see kinda thing but the salt wash etc will probably help

hope you feel better it's horrid i remember :(

Choccy i would give your dentist a call and get some advice i f the swelling is worse than last time you may have an infection and need antibiotics ( sometimes food can get lodged under the gum flap and cause this ) You are doing all the right things keep on using the salt water you could even try a Corsodyl mouthwash...........I hope things settle down soon good luck.

I found an emergency NHS dentist tonight via the NHS direct line :shock:

He was stunned my dentist wouldn't see me for days, and was really lovely.

Turns out the flap of gum by the tooth got infected-he's seen 3 this week and even has a special tool just for this- :o Hopefully will heal now, although gone worse with poking about :cry:

Oooh Choccy, I had the same thing a few years ago and it's sheer misery, isn't it. You have my sympathies. I had to have the tooth pulled out in the end because the flap of skin kept on getting infected. I put up with it for 2 years then couldn't stand it any longer and beat my dentist phobia at the same time!! Good luck with it. Hope that it's soon better.

Nicola H I didn't know you used to be a dental nurse.

I spent 10 years working as a dental nurse then decided I wanted to be a photographer.........So if you have any dental problems just ask away, I could do you a nice portrait at the same time...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds interesting Nicola...... as long as it's not a portrait photo of a nice set of molars :shock::lol::lol: