Attila the Hen

1st egg, and change in their behaviour

We got a couple of gingernut rangers 7 weeks ago, and they have been the most timid of creatures. One of them had a small comb when she arrived, but the other, larger one didn't. We had pretty much given up on getting any eggs before next spring, so hadn't really been checking. I went to clean them out this morning - lo and behold, a clutch of 3 eggs. The interesting thing for me is that the one with the now quite red comb is much more gregarious - she now eats out of my hand, and will follow me around the garden. She also seems to squat down when I get a bit near, rather than running away like she used to, and like the other one still does. So - assuming my wife isn't winding me up by putting ready-boiled eggs in the run WE HAVE OUR FIRST REAL EGGS...... YIPPEE.

It looks like it wasn't my wife trying to wind me up. I went out there again this afternoon to give them some extra feed (The LOVE corn on the cob), and there was another egg in the nest box. One thing that I can see is that the other one (Ethelred the unroasted), still doesn't have a comb - just small red bits sticking about 1mm from the top of the head. I think that all of the laying was done by one chicken, as only one has changed her behaviour. I wonder how long it will take for the other (larger) one to mature. Any ideas?

My 'layer' Florrie definitely has a completely different personality to the other 3 non layers. She follows me round the garden, rushes to the back door as soon as it's opened and is generally very keen to be around people. The other 3 couldn't give a hoot where I am (unless I've got food, then it's chicken bombs approaching at top speed - trouble is they can accelerate, but don't know how to brake when they reach me :roll: )

Congratulations on your first eggs!!! :dance::dance:

Doris has always been friendly, she quickly grew a big red comb and follows me around, lets me pick her up. Gwen, until this week, had a smaller, paler comb and wouldn't let us anywhere near her. She would just about feed from my hand but preferred to pick up treats from the ground. Doris was the only one laying until today.

Gwen's behaviour has changed over the last week and she has become much more keen to run after me (cupboard lover, only after food!) so I guess they must change personality as they mature....I suppose they go from stroppy teenagers to mature adults! :lol::lol: