Chucky Mama

Advise Re Lawn Protection Needed

Now that it is getting wet walking to and from the cube to let the girls in and out and to collect eggs is making the lawn very muddy in those areas. Is there anything that I can put on the lawn to walk on to protect it in the winter but take up in the dry weather to let the lawn grow back. I don't want to stop the grass, just protect it from walking during the muddy season. I have looked at grass mats - are these the solution?

We bought some funky marble stepping stones from B&Q - half price at £3 each and on a 10% off weekend. Plus we put them down upside down and they're not at all slippery - we were surprised, not even in the frost yesterday! They've really helped - and stops the mud coming in the house too. Our grass is already regrowing :)

HTH

I've got that too - fab stuff!

I needed more than i got though - bought 2 rolls and could have done with 3. I bought it from our local hardware store. It costs about £20 for a 3m length from our local hardware shop or a bit less plus postage from Ebay

here's the previous thread:

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36728

(I noted on that thread that I only had 8 chooks and wanted a dozen more: my dream came true! :D )

I bouht some rigid greenhouse shading, plastic with a holey pattern and laid that on the ground, it allowed us to keep clean feet when feeding the chooks

It did kill the grass underneeth but kept the soil structure well so it regrew quite quickly

I have a large grassmat outside my shed and they do not protect the grass very well, they sink in so when taken up leave an indent

I use slabs for the routes to and from my runs, not a solid path, but a stepping stone kind of arrangement. If you put them down on wet ground, they soon settle in and the grass re-grows around them. The haphazard way of laying them means you can get away with broken bits and odd shapes, so you can just collect a few when the opportunity arises - skips, freecycle etc.