Egzandra

I have got a Singer Treadle

I have just inherited my mother's Singer Treadle sewing machine, so I'm sad at losing my Mum, but happy to be giving a home to her Singer. It has not been used for about 30 years and I shall have to get it "seen to" before I use it.

Has anyone else got one and use it?

Egzandra

I've got 3 Singers now. A treadle 201, my Grandma's electrified 15K and a gorgeous hand cranked 99K which LSH bought me for my birthday this year and is the machine I use most. Treadling takes a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of moving your feet in a steady rhythm, you'll be fine. Don't forget to turn the balance wheel to get you started each time though. I made that mistake initially but if you get the balance wheel turning just before you start moving your feet, it should sew a treat!

Do you know what model it is? If not, there should be a serial number on a small brass plate at the front right of the machine. Look up that number on this site - http://www.sewingshop.com/dateyourmachine.aspx and if you don't have an instruction manual, you can usually find them online if you know what the model is.

Good luck! They are fabulous machines :D . This is my treadle :D .

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

(Edited to put in the right website :oops: )

Edited by Guest

So sorry you have lost your mum, Egzandra, but how wonderful that you can think of her when you use her old sewing machine. What a lovely inheritance :D

Kate, I have a treadle in my shed just like that :D It's not mine though, it's mums, given to her by an old lady, but needs an awful lot of work and the table is very battered and has lost a few inches of the length I believe. I must have a go at cleaning it up next year and maybe mum can find space for it.

Egzandra, do let us know how you get on with it once it is in working order :D

Egzandra, I've just edited my post to put in the right website to date your machine and find the model if you don't already know it.

I hope you really enjoy sewing on your machine. I inherited my Grandma's 15K when I was a teenager and did all my O level textiles work using it and until I got my hand cranked one, it was always my machine of choice over modern models. It's lovely to keep these old beauties going, especially when they belonged to someone you loved.

Thank you for your replies, everyone. Kate, my Mum's machine is a lot like yours with the two drawers and the bit in between that opens up to store your threads in. It has a bit more wrought ironwork in the frame and treadle, though. I will have a look to see what year it was built but the instructions are already there! I used it as a teenager as well to complete a school project of making a dress, and made several more as well. I remember having to turn the wheel by hand to start and sitting there happily treadling, which was quite relaxing.

I will also e-mail the Singer website to see if they can recommend anyone in the area to give the machine an overhaul before I try to use it again.

Thank you, yes I will let you know how I get on with my "new" treadle, I will post a picture or two when the machine has been cleaned and overhauled. Jools, yes the old machines are prized possessions, maybe you could get yours going and they are not difficult to use once you get the belt on and get the balance wheel going first, like Kate said.

Beautiful - it's a bit like my mum's one - she traded it for a new model and I don't think it was as good. OK the old one didn't do fancy bits, but I remember mum steaming away on that treadle! I was so cross when she swapped it (it also used to be a great place when playing hide and seek). Hope you enjoy your mum's machine. It is strange isn't it when a parent goes, but you end up with something wonderful (dad's gardening bits that mum won't use - and tools that my brother won't use) - you get such mixed feelings - understand completely.

And I broke mum's replacement machine! :oops: On the other hand she now has to borrow mine - oh dear she's back to knitting instead! :lol:

Hi, it's me again with my Singer 66 treadle which was my mother's and grandmother's. I have it at my house now, and someone is coming today to look at the machine part, but I also need to do something about the woodwork which is not terribly bad but which has signs of wear and tear like white rings from coffee cups and general drying out due to mild neglect. Mrs Frugal, if you are reading this, do you know if the wood on your Singer is solid or a veneer? On mine it looks solid to me but I can't be sure. I posted a query about wood restoration and Snowy said that if it is a veneer it might get rubbed off by sanding, and that I might need to get it done professionally.

She is probably right, but if it was solid wood I might have a go myself. Your Singer machine looks beautifully polished. Have you any thoughts about the wood finish and how I should tackle it?

I am looking forward to using my machine when it is working again.

I will post some pictures soon.

Just off to get some rags ready for the maintenance man, who was due to come on Thursday but has now rung to say he can come today! I am very excited. :D

Hi Egzandra,

Good luck with the restoration :D . I hope you're able to get the marks off the wood and that the machine works OK.

I think the wood on my old machine is solid but I'll ask LSH to take a peep for me as he'll know. My treadle Singer had been stored in a garage before it came to me and was absolutely filthy and greasy. The wood was in good condition though with just one ring on the bit of wood which lifts up to allow the machine to be pulled up and I've left that rather than try to remove the mark. I may have a go at getting rid of it at some point though. I polished the wood with plenty of beeswax polish to get it clean and shiny. I now give it a good rub over with beeswax every few weeks to maintain the shine. The machine itself also polished up nicely with some of the same polish too and all the grease and dirt came off but I was very careful where it had gold paint in case I managed to polish that off!!

The sewing machine man came, and he has got the machine in good working order, it sews beautifully and purrs along. I was lucky enough to find someone Singer trained, so he knew his stuff I think. He changed the belt and the rubber ring for the bobbin winder, and gave it a good oil and clean and adjusted it.

He told me it was solid wood, so I will try and improve the appearance when I pluck up courage, or if not, get someone to do it.

I am looking forward to using it some more. Will post pictures soon.